Featured TUTORIAL Build your FIRST track - BASIC GUIDE

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by luchian, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Joekan

Joekan New Member

Well, thank you @luchian for the post. I learnt my basic knowledge on this post.

Right now, I am working on a huge (about 5km by 5km) open world map using blender 2.79 , but when I was testing the visual effect on a certain section, I noticed the car somehow moves irregularly when it was stationary. Or I should say it feels like the road is wavy, and the car just float on it. After countless of tests, I found the issue occurs when the car is further away from the global origin and nothing wrong as long as I brought the car closer to the origin. I wonder if anyone has a similar problem? Or if I have done something terribly wrong.

2. Les Neilson

Les Neilson Active Member

I was browsing a few days ago and found a link to a patch which it claimed would eliminate the jittering when stationary. But I didn't download it and now I can't remember where I saw it. I have a feeling it was in the comments of a youtube video, but I haven't been able to find it so far. Does anyone know about it?

3. Joekan

Joekan New Member

Thank you @Les Neilson , I found the link you mentioned, but it doesn't fix my problem.
    https://acstuff.ru/f/d/20-shaders-patch-reduced-wobbling

My problem is more likely caused by the physical effect on the road/tire than vertical shaders issue.
    If I change the camera view and see the car from the rear, I find the car is drifting on the road when I put the car in neutral.

4. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

For a map of only 5km x 5km you should not have any problem. Iirc, the problems start when you are more than 8 km (or was it 16 ? cc @john777) from origin.

Check scale when exporting.
    Check surface properties (the ones defined in surfaces.ini) not to have any sin wave.

- on Tapatalk

5. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Yeah, pretty sure it is 16km. But other factors can cause issues like that. A screenshot of the object you are driving would be helpful!

Is it one massive object? Multiple objects? Object name? (Sometimes the name can play the corrupt)

6. Les Neilson

Les Neilson Active Member

I'm assuming the patch is just a visual fix rather than changing the physics calculations, which I would guess is impossible (without rewriting the AC code). So it would make sense that there's a small drift in position when the car should be standing still. I'll try out the patch as soon as I can (thanks ir the link Joekan) on my own TT circuit

7. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

The patch is more than just visual, it does rewrite a lot of the game code. But same object rules, naming conventions, lengths etc still apply. This drifting issue is definitely something else

8. Ternal

Ternal Member

Hi everyone, i need some help if possibile (as always XD).

I'm trying to "build" my first track, yeah, maybe. But i have a problem to place some trees on a non flat surface. There's a way in 3dsmax to pick a object like this one

[​IMG]

and place it randomly (and attached to the non flat terrain which look like this)?

[​IMG]

I found only a tutorial which talk about 3d trees but is not working with my tree and i'm a beginner of 3dsmax so even a stupid step is like climbing the everest for my right now XD

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  9. eg01st

eg01st Member

Real men place trees by hand XD
    I don't know the right answer either, because all available tools place objects perpendicular to the face.
    For grass I used MultiScatter, don't remember if it's a standard tool or plugin.

If you have too many trees to place by hand, you need to create planes with tiling images of tree-line. Nobody makes whole massive forests of individual trees in the middle.

10. Ternal

Ternal Member

I thinked to do it by hand, but i started dying immediately after the 3rd tree ahahahah

I was hoping for a 3dsmax video tut due to fact that i'm a beginner of it. By hand it takes ages but works, but all the trees should moved in order to stay aligned to the terrain (if not the tree fall into terrain :-/)

11. eg01st

eg01st Member

I have been working on my track since last summer and it's still not ready. Don't think 3D modeling will be easy and fast because it's not. Most of the time it will be boring, repetitive manual work. You can do a lot of things fast, like creating barriers from splines, and then using spacing tool to put up the metal poles that are holding it, 100s at a time. But trees were the one thing I had to place, scale, and rotate manually each. Don't forget that each tree if its 3 point star model, should face the driver correctly as he approaches.

As you can see, some treelines in distance are just a plane with tiling image of forest. But those by the track have to be placed carefully. Patience and a lot of hours of boring work.
    [​IMG]

dans_garagiste likes this.
  12. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Oh no, it’s a lot easier than that... first you need to make sure that the original tree object has its pivot point near or at the bottom. Then using object painter, you can specify how many objects to paint, their proximity, randomness, etc... and the object will be placed on top of the surface because of its pivot point being at the bottom.

If set up right, takes seconds to paint an entire forest. But as suggested earlier. Treewalls are indeed the way to go for a dense look!

13. eg01st

eg01st Member

I looked at that option but I could not find a way to make the tree look upwards. Can you do that? By default tree is always 90 degrees from face, so this did not work for steep hills...

14. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Yup! easier to show images rather than trying to explain...

First, need to make sure that the original tree object has its pivot point like this... might have to rotate the Z axis so it faces up:

tree1.jpg
    Then when its time to "paint" trees on to the surface... these are the options to pay attention to.

Align to Normal makes the objects follow the curvature of the terrain, would be more useful if placing rocks, etc...

tree2.jpg

Untick Align to Normal and you get the object facing up, like a tree would.

tree3.jpg

Also notice Z is blacked out, that means its set to random, which is what you want... then the scaling options on the far right... doesn't have to as exaggerated as I had it. Once done painting, hit the green checkmark to commit, or red X to undo.

One more thing to note is that the painter tool places all trees in separate objects, which is exactly what you need in AC. That way you can rename them with the KSTREE_GROUP rule for correct tree normals, as explained there : https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/setting-up-trees.162/

Hope this helps!

luchian likes this.
  15. Ternal

Ternal Member

I will try, thank you so much for your help Johnr777 much appreciated :)

EDIT: Thank you so much Johnr777, it worked. Thanks a lot :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  16. Fabri0043

Fabri0043 New Member

Hi guys, I'm new to AC and I've modeled a very basic track, converted to kn5 and saved in the right directory but once in the game it doesn't shows up in the menu. What could be wrong?:banghead:

Sorry for my bad english I'm Italian:D

17. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

A lot could be wrong... do you have all the necessary files? UI, inis, etc.

Suggest you read the first page of this thread.

18. dans_garagiste

dans_garagiste New Member

Looks cool! You should make a quick YT video

19. Fabri0043

Fabri0043 New Member

I've already read the tutorial ad this is my folder structure:

/ai/
    empty

/data/
    empty

/ui/
    -outline.png
    -preview.png
    -ui_track.json

/track.kn5/

I think this is the very basic structure for a track, did i miss something?

20. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Then I suggest you read it again, and look at how other tracks are setup.

Data folder should not be empty, copy files from another track for now... until you create your own files.

The UI_track.json file... make sure that it’s setup correct...

Theres a lot that could be wrong. Hard for us to diagnose.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice