Featured TUTORIAL Build your FIRST track - BASIC GUIDE

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by luchian, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Delete the ouline.png, start the game, load your track, the game should create a new one. (assuming you have and AI line)

luchian likes this.
  2. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

I need to look into that no i don't at the minute, it's gone into overwhelming again now :lol: information overload for one day.

luchian likes this.
  3. LockeNessMotorsports

A quick question to everyone do you have a visual and physical of everything? curbs etc. I'm leaving what I have on PARC but my next track not sure how to go about that. I have a visual and physical road but my walls are just physical no visual model aswell to them at all.

4. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

you can leave simple walls physical, but if you got guardrails or fences or similar it's better to have an invisible wall

5. LockeNessMotorsports

@Johnr777 So i found out how to carve out the map via boolean on my particular mesh it's actually not a mess and works fine however, one thing the verts still need alligning slightly so they don't sink the track into the ground and I'm just thinking there's surely got to be a faster way than individually selecting verts and moving them.

So far I've tried soft selection but it doesn't work some still come up too far :(

6. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

For max you can use a script that moves the vertices from one object to another, all in one shot... for Maya, no idea

7. LockeNessMotorsports

There is a snapping tool and all sorts of snapping vert snapping and so on however, it's still snapping under the terrain might need further investigation.

8. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

If you work in max, maybe something like this ? (I did not try it, I use Blender).

9. LockeNessMotorsports

Yeah I've used that, it's conform in maya aswell however you still need to adjust verts so it doesn't sink into the terrain if you understand what i mean. Conform is great one of the best things ever for aligning aha.

I'm basically looking for a subtle tool I can move multiple vertices at once but not too harsh that the track is floating in areas.

10. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

a little update, I solved the texture problem with the UV mapping! I can finally move on thanks to you guys
    [​IMG]

ops, wrong screen
    [​IMG]

LockeNessMotorsports likes this.
  11. LockeNessMotorsports

So i figured out my issue well not fixed it but now I see the land is extruded from the track so you can snap the track to the land. The issue with PARC is the data that came from RTB is triangulated so it's been a bugger to work with from day one.

12. LockeNessMotorsports

So i started putting the terrain in on off the track edge, need to clean up some topology but I'm still learning this aha. I think it looks ok.

Attached Files:

13. LockeNessMotorsports

upload_2018-5-10_2-47-12.png

Done :), finally figured it out it snaps wonderfully, just need to do the other side tommorow :)

Kibbutz likes this.
  14. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

since I'm waiting for buildings to come, I started working on my second track, the historic Cesana - Sestriere uphill. Here's a video I made to test the heights and layout for some real drivers who are going to race there in a couple of months. This will definitely be finished before the city track will reach 50%, hopefully before the actual race as I'd like to present it there.

15. fizzybanana

fizzybanana New Member

I'm having problems importing a .fbx into the editor. It says the model has 102119 vertices but as far as I can see in Blender my object has only 31940 vertices. I have removed doubles, assigned a material and I'm only exporting this 1 object.

Any ideas?

blenderfile.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  16. wmialil

wmialil New Member

Try smooth shading, think it reduces vert count. In edit mode, select all and then in the tab on the left hand side go to "shading" which i think is the third tab down and set faces to smooth.

fizzybanana likes this.
  17. Willy Wale

Willy Wale Member

The limit is on coordinates so it includes the 'physical' vertex but also in parallel each vertex will have UV coordinates. If you look at the estimates of tris in the top of the window you have 51,096. I have found that this is normally close to half of the editor's reported number.

If you reduce the object's tris (Blender estimate) to around 30k it should work.

WW

18. fizzybanana

fizzybanana New Member

That did the trick! Thanks a lot.

@luchian This should be in the first post somewhere. Not obvious that all objects need smooth shading before exporting to .fbx!

19. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

The real limitation is the mesh size (must be <65k values). But did not know that smooting can reduce that number, thanks :).

- on Tapatalk

20. wmialil

wmialil New Member

For the tree shader to work correctly does every single separate tree need to be its own object?

I'm not sure my computer can handle it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice