Featured TUTORIAL Build your FIRST track - BASIC GUIDE

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by luchian, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

The difference between your 3D modelling application, 3DsimEd and KsEditor is that the editor uses shaders. So they won’t look the same unless you correctly optimize the shaders in the editor. From a quick glance, maybe I’d play with the SpecularEXP value and see if you get a better result, or using a different shader all together.

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

It also looks like the textures are missing UV coordinates ?
    (..aaand pleaaase, stop using 3dsimed :D. You have all you need between Rihno and KsEditor).

3. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

So It's still not spawning me in the pits :lol:, a friend had this issue aswell and couldn't fix it. Might have to re do the dummies

4. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Your track is a few months in the making, is this something that just started happening?

5. LockeNessMotorsports

Try a year and a half xD well learning it's took ages but I feel better now I've learnt the knowledge. No it was fine before I think it happened after an update

6. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

I tried all that but it's no use, it's a modeling error I presume.

That's what I'm thinking after some trial and error. But we both don't know how to correctly do that, we just learned how to setup a normal map and are experimenting with that since a week. If you can tell me where to look into I'll buy you a beer, my word!
    I was using 3dsimed only to rotate, scale and convert textures but they're kind of not working so I'll have to learn how to properly do that in ps and stop running around the problem.

7. LockeNessMotorsports

What modeling software are you using?

8. LockeNessMotorsports

Ok so as I'm getting closer to finishing the questions keep coming aha how do you achieve this. On the Kunos tracks the land underneath the track you model off is cut out I'll show what I mean this is Kunos brands hatch.

[​IMG]

9. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

my friend (a designer) Rhino and Photoshop, while I'm using sketchup and 3ds (but I'm still unable to model in 3ds, I can do everything else though if I follow tutorials)

10. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

I have no idea what you are talking about... texture? 3d? The picture is more puzzling that what you are asking :lol:

11. LockeNessMotorsports

xD the land underneath is cut out hard to explain under where they modeled the road it's the same with the pits, curbs etc

What would help out if possible do you have Discord? could talk some time

12. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

It wasn’t “cut”... they probably started with a spline, lofted a road. Then they built out from the edges of road. There was no “land” underneath. Only reference material.

13. LockeNessMotorsports

Oh ok that does make sense, I've seen it on other mod tracks aswell just made me wonder. I'll leave mine then the google map is still underneath but it should still be decent there's one turn that does sit a little bit off the ground but it's not a huge issue.

14. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

I'm finalizing what should be the first beta version. I'm on with shaders now, and I'm trying to find a good balance to set the asphalt. I like the RTBs textures, they're not bad to start, but way too shiny. These are my settings, lowering the specular values more than this will made the road too dark, while a point up will make it shine too much. Right now it's really dark in shadows and still to shiny under the sun. Should I just use Lilski setting like in this topic?
    https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/photo-quality-road-surface.834/
    I'm back to test trees shaders meanwhile.

[​IMG]

15. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

The textures should have an alpha channel, which will control specular correctly.

Read up on that tutorial, that’s pretty much the only way to go about a correct road shader

Kibbutz likes this.
  16. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

I'm having a go right now. For the time being I adjusted the fresnel values and I reached a satisfactory result. In the next days I'll concentrate on this for the new track and the next versions of this one.
    The problem I've got with the UV coordinates for buildings comes from RTB xpacker, if I open up the block fbx and assign materials everything's fine as it should be in kseditor. I really have to learn how to create a track outside of that program, and hopefully I'll do with my next project.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  17. LockeNessMotorsports

So I really like using the googlemap diffuse for my grass however, because of the nature of the track with the trees in the pit areas etc and in the infield I can't use it :(. I've tried everything in photoshop from content aware to clone stamp but when you try and remove the trees in the pits it's just going to be impossible.

upload_2018-5-2_22-10-6.png

18. LockeNessMotorsports

How do you make a track outline?

19. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

20. LockeNessMotorsports

I meant in the folder of the track it's called outline.png next to the preview image

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice