W.I.P. Kyalami 2016

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Prototype, Dec 30, 2018.

1. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

There are 2 reasons for multiple kn5 files @Prototype .

1/tidiness, as @Johnr777 mentioned already :).
    2/ layouts (if your track has multiple configs irl)

Prototype likes this.
  2. Prototype

Prototype Active Member

Right ... yeah so I want to have a "dry" and a "wet" track ... so the visual road mesh and anything else that has a material change to make it look dry/wet would be a separate kn5 that loads into the main kn5 scene .... ?

How is that set up in AC ? (hangs noob head in shame). :- D

3. luchian

Simply put, using the layouts feature, every kn5 will act as a "layer" in your typical 3D application. And they will load on top of each other. They will also be aligned, provided they have the same origin. (You can make a test inside SDK Editor also - load one kn5, then load the next one).

So even if you don't have multiple configs for a track, but wish to use this apptoach (with multiple kn5) you need to apply the same teachings from the link above.

In your case @Prototype, you will have in fact at least 2 configs (one dry, one wet) so you'll need to use the layouts feature.

- on Tapatalk

Prototype likes this.
  4. Prototype

Prototype Active Member

Thanks @luchian

I get the layering fbx files into AC Editor aspect of it.
    I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how does the "navigation" and folder setup for AC work?
    I'm sure I can figure this out, but if someone already knows how to do this it saves time and would be super helpful for myself, as well as anyone else wanting to do multi config tracks.

So for example:
    In CM, choosing your track configuration:

[​IMG]

...and the folder structure associated with it:

[​IMG]

So clearly "imola.kn5" is the main file which has the other kn5's "layered" into it...

Is it just a case of having various "MODELS_*.ini" files that call up the various configs?

[​IMG]

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated :)

5. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

yes, a new models ini and new folder for the Ai data and other data just like imola wet folder there . on the top level you can remove the ai and data folder there for they exist in the imola wet folder now.

ALSO in the imola wet folder is the map.png file for your track layout which will change the track map in the UI when there is an AI line for it.

so ai folder and data folder and map.png into this newly created folder. there is no layering per say, but the data for the track is taken to the new layer (folder) while the fbx files remain loose and next to each other and the .ini just points to the new data.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Prototype likes this.
  6. luchian

Yes, looks ok.
    (provided that the wet version has its own data, ai folders).

Also make sure that in the UI folder, you have folders containing the (outline, preview, ui-track.json) for each config. Keep the same naming. Have a look at one of the Kunos tracks, e.g. Vallelunga.

Prototype likes this.
  7. Prototype

Prototype Active Member

Thanks chaps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice