TUTORIAL Track layouts - How-To ?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by assettocorsamods, Sep 22, 2015.

1. assettocorsamods

assettocorsamods Administrator Staff Member

Layouts were introduced in Assetto Corsa tracks with the release of Nordschleife. Maybe because some memory limitations needed to be avoided or simply because the track is available in multiple configurations. Either way, here are the main points on how to use them. I would suggest however, to firstly play and understand the "no-layouts-tracks", as described in the Basic Guide, and only after attacking the multiple configs.

We'll use the ks_nordschleife, as a reference. And we'll use acm_rainbowlane, as an example. acm_rainbowlane being a fantasy track that contains 2 layouts: fullcourse and club.

First, just as for "normal" (no layouts) tracks, there has to be a acm_rainbowlane.kn5 inside the acm_rainbowlane folder (observe the same name for the folder and main kn5 file). And then the additional .kn5 files, with the differences from one layout to the other. Se we'll finally have:

acm_rainbowlane.kn5 - will contain the common geometry (used in all the layouts). e.g. main road, stands, etc.
    fullcourse.kn5 - will contain specific geometry to this layout (maybe different start positions, maybe different timings gates, etc)
    club.kn5 - will contain specific geometry to this layout (maybe different start positions, maybe different timings gates, etc

Then, for the fullcourse layout, we'll need:
    /acm_rainbowlane/models_fullcourse.ini contains all the models used in the fullcourse layout.
    /acm_rainbowlane/fullcourse folder needs to be present, and in it the usual folders & files : data, ai, etc.

Similar for the club layout:
    /acm_rainbowlane/models_club.ini which contains the models used in the club layout.
    /acm_rainbowlane/club folder needs to be present, and in it the usual folders & files: data, ai, etc.

Back to the main folder, inside the acm_rainbowlane/ui/ folder - you'll need specific folders for each layout (this information is only used to display the track configurations in the main menu). In our example:
    /acm_rainbowlane/ui/fullcourse - contains the correct json and preview files for full layout
    /acm_rainbowlane/ui/club - contains the correct json and preview files for club layout

The Nordschleife uses 1.kn5, 2.kn5, etc. but you can use anything you like as a name for the additional models (I've used 'fullcourse' and 'club' - but again, not important). As long as you have the main kn5 file, which MUST have the same name as the main folder => /trackname/trackname.kn5.

How does a .ini file look like ? Here are the examples:

models_fullcourse.ini
    Code:
    [MODEL_0]
    FILE=acm_rainbowlane.kn5
    POSITION=0,0,0
    ROTATION=0,0,0

[MODEL_1]
    FILE=fullcourse.kn5
    POSITION=0,0,0
    ROTATION=0,0,0

models_club.ini
    Code:
    [MODEL_0]
    FILE=acm_rainbowlane.kn5
    POSITION=0,0,0
    ROTATION=0,0,0

[MODEL_1]
    FILE=club.kn5
    POSITION=0,0,0
    ROTATION=0,0,0

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2021
    LanD, DaveEsotic, Les Neilson and 9 others like this.
  2. MGMetroDave

MGMetroDave Active Member

Thank you for this clear, simple explanation! :nerd:

giovanni pasolini and luchian like this.
  3. Hamzah

Hamzah New Member

I’m not trying to make a custom track for myself but I downloaded a 2020 F1 Zandvoort layout track and it is it’s own separate track. I’d much prefer to have it as a layout for zandvoort but I am ending up with 2 main kn5’s (ks_zandvoort Type files.) is it possible to merge the two or potentially make a kn5 with nothing on it and save it as the main file and have The 2 main kn5’s be layout specific models? I’d appreciate any feedback as I also might do this to the Nürburgring & Nordschleife if it’s possible

4. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

not really, in "models....ini" ac expects the main kn5 to be named after the folder-name, so if you now introduce another layout with another main kn5 you have a "models....ini" not having the expected main.kn5 in it and ac wont start

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. Hya6GT

Hya6GT New Member

Thank you so much! I have a question, does the kunos drift track support layouts? I have tried your method on nordschleife and it worked like a charm. on the other hand the kunos drift track is refusing to load the kn5 I have added. I followed the exact same steps.

6. fughettaboutit

yes
    upload_2023-7-8_11-53-53.png
    upload_2023-7-8_11-52-32.png
    upload_2023-7-8_11-53-2.png

7. fughettaboutit

try different scales when exporting fbx

8. Hya6GT

Hya6GT New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what scale did you use?

9. fughettaboutit

0.01 or 100

10. Hya6GT

Hya6GT New Member

Thanks for helping... it's not working.. I think I'll drop the project ahhhh

11. JoeK

JoeK New Member

Hate to sound like a 'jackass', but the best way to learn is when stuff doesn't work. Just walk away for a few days then have another 'go' at it. Usually a fresh outlook on the issue gives one new insights.

12. Hya6GT

Hya6GT New Member

Can I send you the file so you check it?

13. JoeK

JoeK New Member

'Fraid you're more advanced than I am at this point. I'm just getting into track design - currently working on my Touge course design in the SDK then into AC & getting into modeling street furniture. Working within AC in detail is still a couple of months down the road for me.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  14. fughettaboutit

yes

Do you have other stuff in your scene, like light sources or instanced objects?

15. Hya6GT

Hya6GT New Member

Can you add me on discord? my id is: Hya6

16. fughettaboutit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice