TOOL RTB- Race Track Builder

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Ricardo Rey

Ricardo Rey Active Member

Thanks Pixelchaser! Additionally, I have to remember that this is a test track and I am attempting to learn all the functions, not make a perfect track. It's the perfectionist in me coming out.:banghead:

2. cercata

cercata Member

Can I make that when cars go outside track, they go slower ?
    I guess something in surfaces.ini ...

Thanks dude, works perfect, you have all the answers :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  3. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

If you want invalid zones, you need to have them as separate mesh (meaning with a different name also than the valid road). And then mark that as not valid in surfaces.ini.

For example,
    Define a key in surfaces.ini, e.g. "UNCOOL" (or whatever)
    There's a line that says something like IS_VALID_TRACK=1. Put that to 0.
    separate mesh you want invalid, and name it something like 1UNCOOL
    Done.

4. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

ai going slower I think has more to do with the ai line driven and the outlines of the track, and a hints ai file. which can tune the ai at that section of track. the out lines of the track are a whole new topic and considerably complicated and not possible at the RTB level of design. however....

this app was recently released to create the outlines in the game itself. ( the out lines could go over any surfaces legal or illegal http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ai-line-helper.16016/

and you can read all about the process here.
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-define-track-limits-for-ai.45913/

5. Ricardo Rey

RTB: Pit lane
    Are the pit lanes done with the track tool, or with a separate material? For some reason I'm confused (<Makes it sound like I'm so smart that I shouldn't be confused. Not the case):rolleyes:

6. Pixelchaser

cant do pits in RTB.... yet... but its just a road off from another road which of course you can do, whether the game recognizes or not is where all physical contact information is dealt with.

the notion of a pit area is simply to command the speed limit. all things to be given character as a surface comes from the title of it, so rtb gives it a name, road grass, gravel, sand etc.

so this is done by the name of the object, RTB just doesn't have pit naming, or any custom naming as of yet. but you can take that separate road object in the ACeditor and rename it.

in any track folder, in the data folder are ini. files. the surfaces ini file holds the surface information. so in that in might be an entry for a unique surface name. but ROAD, GRASS, KERB are all default hardcoded into the engine to be used, so RTB is based on those generic titles.

however in the AC editor things can be rename on the fly.

7. Ricardo Rey

8. Ricardo Rey

9. Pixelchaser

ive seen it all, I wont comment to much but, that's not how you build track objects properly. even for Assetto corsa. its kinda bad and wont get you anywhere. so take that with a pinch of salt please. but it is what you can do by all means, but I must preface all my opinions with the notion that I'm interested in doing it properly whatever that is and explicitly for Ac.

have a look very closely at the comments section of that first video. yours truly. :lol: being too critical.

10. Ricardo Rey

@Pixlechaser...
    I would prefer you be critical! The fault is mine for just finding the links without having viewed them. On the other hand, it's good to separate the good from the bad and document both.
    I do appreciate your honestly. Will save myself and others the headache of learning the hard way.
    Thanks!

11. cercata

cercata Member

I already saw that in you "First track" post, I wanted to know if RTB had a way of naming surfaces, or creating surfaces with predefined names, for just editing the surfaces.ini

You can automate that renaming, for not doing it manually after each export from RTB ?

12. Pixelchaser

no automated renaming. however anything that gets put in the editor can generate an "INI" file for the track. and the updated info may be stored in there. but this is no real way to be doing it, because that ini file can fail at any time. through any further changes made.

13. Ricardo Rey

RTB: Regarding Pit Lanes
    I don't know if I misunderstood your answer, or if I didn't ask the question properly. I think I understood that they are (or will have to be) defined in the editor.
    Let me restate it a different way. Sorry for being :confused:
    So, I have made the basic track. Now I want to add a pit road. Do I add a new road (track), or widen the original track for the pit entrance. My confusion is if I add a new track piece, how to join it if there is not a node (in the example pulling a node until the adjoining piece turns yellow). I haven't yet figured out how to split the track into sections. (I would be pulling my hair out as you said if I had any to pull out).

My frustration is that I used to make track years ago, but had a heart attack in 2009 and effected part of my memory for about 6 months and having to relearn stuff that I used to know. No worries now, I am fine and my memory is good. I'm trying to be patient and relearn. If I frustrate you, I apologize. I keep waiting for the light bulb to come on in my head, I'm still in the dark about some basic stuff.:banghead:

EDIT: I found a tutorial. So it's adding a new track section and defining/allowing cut track options.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  14. Pixelchaser

yep. RTB needs a lot of foresight to work properly. ive made 5 exit roundabouts, but its hard, must know how to make your tracks out of multiple tracks. where to join them, where to place cross sections, the hierarchy of what cuts what and what gets cut by what :lol:. its possible though as ive done.

Ricardo Rey likes this.
  15. Ricardo Rey

For my test track I took from Google data for an area in my neighborhood so that I could drive the route physically to compare the RTB track. As best that I can tell (not driven the RTB track yet), the elevations do match quite well. My hope is that RTB will at least get a decent basic track started and finish it with 3DSMAX or Blender, if nothing else. If it will at least do that, I will be happy. Otherwise I wasted my money. But I am trying to be positive and make it work. I do trust and respect your your advice. Much appreciated!

16. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Seems you have figured it out by now. But just to make sure:
    Pits need to be a separate mesh, with a separate name. And in the ini, under that "name" properties, mark the surface as PIT_LANE=1.

Ricardo Rey likes this.
  17. Ricardo Rey

RTB: Track Cross Section Editing

Unless I have missed something, the only way to edit cross sections of the track is at track sections. Does this mean that with complicated track geometry I need to make the track in a lot of sections? I can't seem to find a way to split (divide) already laid sections of track.

18. Pixelchaser

you press CTRL to add cross section when in that mode. try press f1 for some help too.

Ricardo Rey likes this.
  19. Ricardo Rey

OK. Thanks. Got it.

20. cercata

cercata Member

After a week with the Tool, I've made 3 circuits ... they are nor perfect, but they are fun to ride, and now I have quite a good knowledge for start making better circuits.

The learning curve is very fast !!!!!!

I thought 55€ was expensive, but it's worth every penny !!!!!
    With blender I don't know how many months could have taken me ...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Pixelchaser likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice