TOOL RTB- Race Track Builder

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Wurstkoffer

Wurstkoffer Member

Yes, that could be a solution. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that an implementation with point clouds in a database exceeds my possibilities. Let's say, for example, we have 10 points in x and y. RTB queries a height for x=2.5 / y=4.2. Then the script must calculate the height based on the nearest neighbors. I am sure that there are extremely clever solutions for this. but I don't want to deal with it right now.
    Actually, I only wanted to rebuild a few roads, which I know from reality and like to drive. Then I was so disappointed with the resolution of Google's elevation data that I thought up an alternative. And this alternative is now based on the use of WMS, which I want to perfect as far as possible.
    Speaking of WMS. You can of course use Lidar data with a WMS server. And you can install a WMS server on your own computer. For example http://geoserver.org/. Getting Lidar data via WMS would work more or less out of the box with my current solution. The server then interpolates the elevation data between the available points. So i recommend to do some research on Lidar Data & GeoServer. ;)

Willy Wale, luchian and Pixelchaser like this.
  2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

well lets see what you come up with wms first..... I have no clue about much of this, but I can arrange lidar data and use it. I could arrange google data over it with its rtb layout. its just getting it back into rtb that's an issue. I'm certainly keen to fool RTB into using it where possible.

3. Wurstkoffer

Wurstkoffer Member

I think it is irrelevant for the maximum level of detail (smallest triangle) whether you use sub divide or not. it only makes the starting (largest) triangles smaller. Can anyone confirm that?

4. Pixelchaser

when in rtb and you take the google data. the triangles start out at about 500 metres. as you subdivide its still applying the google data that probably stops around 30 metres approximately. but you can subdivide more. I believe it just accommodates itself to whats there, and obviously with low res information it stops at some point.

5. Wurstkoffer

Wurstkoffer Member

Yes, I am aware of manual sub dividing. I thought you were referring to the option when starting a new project where you could use this sub dividing slider from 0 to 2.

6. Pixelchaser

ahh ok I don't use that, its pretty pointless tbh. what he should have done is let us subdivide down all the way to 10 or so with that initial option.

. also when you apply an initial subdivide it stops you from removing the base triangles if you need too.
    ... anything lower than the intial triangle cant be removed there after. so I stayed away from it, its just another poorly made design decision by brendon.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Wurstkoffer

Wurstkoffer Member

8. Pixelchaser

fantastic. I noticed some instructions on steam forums, so thanks for posting a guide here man !

luchian likes this.
  9. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

I'm exhuming this topic as I have a RTB related problem.
    I'm finally learning 3ds max at a level where I'm more confortable injecting houses and objects in the model than having to go through xPacker (it's messing up my UVs for some reason).
    I followed all the tutorials I could find to import/export fbx. Importing in cm, exporting in meters triangulating faces and deselecting all others options, format binary 2012.
    There's no way the kseditor is gonna open my fbx, giving me a generic error while loading. I can open it up on 3dsimed, and I can see I'm loosing a lot of materials from the RTB original fbx. If I open it up again in 3ds it still look like it should though.
    I tried to open the fbx and save it again in 3ds, still not opening in kseditor. Am I missing something in the workflow? Should I save the fbx to an original file or could the error come because I overwrite the original one? I deleted the fbx.ini file too but I've still got the same result as before.

10. Pixelchaser

Prototype and Les Neilson like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice