W.I.P. Lime Rock

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Feb 22, 2017.

1. barf

barf Member

in the film industry compositing is done with chroma-keying( blue or green-screening). maybe you can get key-coloured paints instead of black? :nerd:

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

very good idea . ill not use green :) I was just going to paint the annoyance out

barf likes this.
  3. Pixelchaser

later today im putting a big massive search light on my track. and its going to light the clouds in the night sky. (damn need to do night graphics :lol:) and its going to say "FABZ!" on it. :lol:
    @acfastfab

4. Pixelchaser

barf likes this.
  5. Pixelchaser

hard to deal with anything black in 3d but this seems nice in context. just 3dsmax shot here with lots of zoom to show it at all angles. still better than a flat wall.
    twbarr1.jpg

edit.
    we will see if fabz comes back as its a month since last communication of any kind which is a long time imo. but that's what I am relying on now to continue. until then this is the end once again. and what will be, will be. im happy to achieve everything i set out to do and achieve my vision of where i wanted to enhance things, but i need a rest, that was a solid 3 weeks of work on it every day and my regular job.

and i just don't have "all" the skills for this just yet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Prototype and luchian like this.
  6. Pixelchaser

Question: having a look at some different methods of creating track layouts ive been using simple path deform to put this object around a spline (rebuilding lime rock :( don't think fabz is comin back. ) I havnt got this basically dirty in max before regards the whole layouts, but its time to learn all that and stop faffing about with meshes from elsewhere

is there anything wrong with this method ? I don't think its that common and never seen anyone using it before. right or wrong or doesn't matter ? anyone with more experience in max know the answer ? anyone build surfaces with path deform ? seems easier than any other method and also it does a lot very very quickly. which is why I asking because its good but not common why why why ! :lol: there will be a lot of manual adjustment for height. maybe that's why ? maybe this is what those morais scripts do ?

pd2.jpg

an aspect I like about this is that. I can stupidly easily build a long straight real world road with intersections. and lay it instantly, even the intersection joins work instantly. way to easy imo. so yeah wtf is wrong coz nothing is this easy. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  7. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Those scripts are all spline based. Middle spline would do the road mesh, side splines to control track width.

In your case, with an existing mesh, you can select all middle edges, side edges, and make splines out them. Then re-do the road mesh. From your side splines you can extrude your terrain outwards.

Path deform has its uses, but you can’t control width or mesh resolution around corners, etc. I only really use it for certain objects and skidmarks.

8. Pixelchaser

I figured the align and move to spline aspects of morais could help negate the effects of using the path deform at the after the fact stage. what you reckon about that john ?

….coz I do like initially dictating the layout from the small piece. which can change on the long version too (before path deform)

9. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Sounds like a lot of manual work in my opinion. And the UV might all mess up and look weird. BUT I haven’t fully ventured into that deform tool. I could be wrong, :lol:

Pixelchaser likes this.
  10. Pixelchaser

ive done a manual move to see and it looks like any other widening road uv wise. just lots of manual work. main idea is to simply translate any edges to splines from rtb into max. and never need to use a mesh from it whilst using max efficiently. (like rtb is efficient but shit ) move to spline will be my friend I think.

11. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

If the mesh is all welded correctly, in poly mode, you can select one road edge, then in graphite modelling, select edge loop, and it should select all of them for ya. Then “make spline from selection”, linear. You have a perfect spline from the old mesh.

12. Pixelchaser

yeah, its not the creation of splines though. im fine with them from any object. its moving shit to them properly and efficiently that is the question. just wana find my fool proof workflow.

13. Pixelchaser

well its happened. Total Hard drive failure. but im going to see what I can retrieve.

14. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

:eek: NO !

15. AccAkut

AccAkut Active Member

...ohh..kids, remember to do backups. Sorry to hear.

16. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

Oh man that's horrible. Sorry. Hope you get it recovered.

17. Pixelchaser

recovered 1 drives data. its all very strange tbh. 1 min the drive works the next it doesn't but the main ssd drive with my programs are certainly gone. still got the track but i will cry if I don't get speedtree again :lol:

18. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

You can always recover software, you cant recover hours of work... so sounds like a good result - now back that shit up !

Pixelchaser likes this.
  19. Pixelchaser

yeah its an epic result really. fresh pc too, all cleaned out. got my necessary programs too now. I may even celebrate with some resident evil 2 remake :lol:

Prototype likes this.
  20. acfastfab

acfastfab Member

I'm back (sort of).
    Sorry guys I just hit a string of bad luck on this first month of the year.
    I had some health issue but i'm now slowly recovering and will be able to sit in front of my computer soon.
    @Pixelchaser, I'm getting that Max file to you ASAP.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    luchian, Pixelchaser and Tibor Solyom like this.
: Lime Rock, Track
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice