W.I.P. Lime Rock

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Feb 22, 2017.

1. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, cannot really see too much. Just that the grass seems very dense :nerd:. Especially at this distance.

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

spent all day refining process. and ive really nailed it now. heres a better view of the fur surface. literally :lol:, I can repeat this for any track now. and its all based on the poly structure of the terrain surface. ( a grass plane is as long as the distance between vertices it crosses from main terrain. also...so within this ive just built the ability to change any area or region at any level. but more on that later. my system is very definable. guaranteed to work and be 10 times better coverage for same poly expense. ill be doing a tutorial on it, whether its translatable to blender or not is another story but ill do a video of me doing to any other track.
    damngrasslol.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Patrice COte, barf and luchian like this.
  3. AccAkut

AccAkut Active Member

I mean I'm all for detail work to a degree (well, look at my cars. i draw the line earlier than others), but I wonder how much worth is in doing it like this once you fly by in a race car. Grass is there to give some depth to the scenery moving by... we're not laying down to feel it ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  4. Pixelchaser

your eyes will feel it though, eye candy.

edi: it is overkill. and totally unnecessary, but as im a graphics guy I must try this. its great look in game tbh.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  5. Pixelchaser

@acfastfab im quite ready for the new mesh man !. infact I cant work on much more with out it now. and cant complete grass till I see this mesh as technique is now dependant on base terrain structure.... I didn't realise it was in such a mess btw. tidying the one I have here is a nightmare so sorry about giving that to you. weirdly I did learn a hell of a lot of things though regards verts edges and polys by studying the said mess.. and a whole load of new questions unfortunately.. i am off from boxing day for nearly two weeks and very much want to work on finalising this track to a releasable extent for the new year. (I got time off. very motivated and need something to do)

merry Christmas to everyone.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  6. Pixelchaser

can you imagine spending 5 days with 6-10 hours per day of just deleting vertices ? :lol: omg it was worth it.

so I mention some posts ago.. I can build grass transition from cut grass to not cut grass within the same poly structure for my 3d grass. results = epic.
    32g2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Tibor Solyom, luchian and Prototype like this.
  7. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Jeezaz ! :eek:

Pixelchaser likes this.
  8. Pixelchaser

hehe I think gary`s lawn mower will look great on it :lol: ill cut a channel some where the side of his cutter for shits and giggles. will look good i think.

next stage is to cut some wheel marks through it.... and sparsen some around it that blend with a texture...

9. Pixelchaser

and it all works nicely. the 20 cm spacing is just nice without being overkill. the cut grass lines are dependant on the texture on base terrain, so do them later after more modelling. fingers crossed it works on the new terrain....
    ed44.jpg

Tibor Solyom and luchian like this.
  10. Pixelchaser

heres a quick tour, plenty still to do. can see the grass coverage etc. when ground layer is done to match it look even better im sure.

also @luchian here you see the colour and brightness range of the trees with that block transform. trees inside the block do not get lit from any side angle. I think they look quite good given that horrible effect. tree structure helps that.

Tibor Solyom and luchian like this.
  11. Prototype

Prototype Well-Known Member

Wow! Thats amazing. How permaformant is this? Looks like its running pretty smooth?

Pixelchaser likes this.
  12. Pixelchaser

I think im near 2 million verts for whats seen here.

33836 trees. mainly billboard style (double sided) 12 verts per tree. some extra detail parts at the fronts together with typical Y shapes lining the track. perfectly acceptable figures for trees I think.

regards the grass coverage it is no more hungry than your average scatter technique. a little less in fact. but its not split into kslayer system. 1 million vertices. scatter system done with kslayer build up. was achieving 1.5 million in total. it certainly works no problems and half of the vert counts what ive made before.. replacing any scatter layer 5 with this new model would see an addition of possibly 200K verts only if my math is right. but its already 4-5 times coverage over whats seen before.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Prototype likes this.
  13. Pixelchaser

Happy New Year all. this will be lime rock year :lol:. (December 31st release? :lol: )

was up till 2 last night preparing shit for the path deform tool. I was advised that you should weld all verts for this, but what im finding is its not necessary when flowing these objects along the spline with the modifier...which is going to be great for the wild fence / hedge walls and allow block transform on them (if that works) anyone more familiar with path deform tool ? and World space path deform works infinetly better. but is it possible to collapse these WSM modifiers ?? or is that just happening on export (if at all)

some 1km long walls ready for placing. no repeated textures.
    wallso.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Tibor Solyom and Prototype like this.
  14. Prototype

I guess its a "how long is a piece of string" kinda question ... but what are your thoughts on overall vert and texture budgets in general?

I have no idea how much 2M verts are in the grand scheme of things. But from what you're saying, sounds like this is well within a reasonable number for the grass and trees. And I guess, based on a track on Lime Rock that has so much grass and foliage, this is a critical aspect of what you're needing to build.

Curious as to what this all looks and feels like while driving?

Overall its like this huge visual "energy", which I can imagine, even though youre not concentrating on it while racing, its adding to the experience on a subconscious level. Really super impressive visually.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  15. Pixelchaser

well thanks. im just pushing the design out a bit. thanks for noticing. I had this version from 1 year ago with very bad trees. trees are not a worry. anyway.. this which was 4.2 million polys all in.

the kunos spec for a track build is 1 gig or less of texture memory, and pushing 3 million polys per track as a kunos standard. but its 5 years later, graphics card can push more. etc. this in the video was 4.2 million ran fine with a 970 using vr at 90 fps. no drops which I was surprised about. but still unhappy as the workflow was the design really. being able to replicate it anytime for any track, so in last few weeks a solved that which means I can hit a standard limit for a track now with nobody bitching.

haha I cant f...…. wait to drive it again.

Prototype likes this.
  16. Prototype

Thanks for the budget info. Very helpful!

17. Pixelchaser

most is used on trees and grass afaik. my track without any of it is around 450K polys. not sure on vert count. but even this has about 375K in individual tyre stacks which will be removed. so I reckon im on about 1.65 million all in so far. leaving plenty for the rest of it.

another factor is the spectators in this track. like you pointed out the track needs emphasis on the greenery, the spectators are a different thing too at this track. its the most naturally viewable race track there is, no stands, just 1 big infill crowd area with tents and shit everywhere. need loads of polys for that still.

18. Prototype

Ha ha right! Yeah thats going to be an interesting challenge - but I suppose this method could translate to crowds too?

19. Pixelchaser

:lol: hadn't thought of that. and yeah I don't see why not.... damn..... :lol:. actually I seen something recently which peaked my interest regards low poly modelling cheats. and that's a V shaped person. LOL let me show you.

this game book of demons has a unique character design which I just love. having this would work well facing the track i think. as a person in a crowd design.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1605088613

edit: working on this hedge here, the plant is called kudzo and well it just grows a new skin over anything. using FFD`s can easily destroy the straight lines. but not to much as the frame for the plants are the fences. FFD,s are pretty cool to work with. works on multiple objects at same time too.. and you can define the resolution of the cage. :)

hedge deform.jpg

not entirely happy with it, its just too rich in detail. when mixed with bushes as it is in real life.
    ignore max lighting.
    kudzo.jpg

Prototype and luchian like this.
  20. Pixelchaser

got me barriers done today. im just glad I made this push lately too get on top of it all. tyre stacks and walls next.
    bar2.jpg bar1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
: Lime Rock, Track
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice