Well, i love classic cars

1. Stig's Cousin

Stig's Cousin New Member

Stig's Cousin submitted a new resource:

FIAT - SEAT 127 v1.1 - Well, i love classic cars

Read more about this resource...

2. Rob12770

Rob12770 New Member

Nice, but I really would like to see more RHD cars ..I see your in NZ, im in UK and we drive RHD cars too.im surprised and a bit sad to see this is another LHD :(.please guys make RHD vehicles..;)

3. Stig's Cousin

Stig's Cousin New Member

Hello! Thanks for comment. This mod is a version of my real car, and my real car has the steering wheel on the left side. Greetings.

4. Rob12770

Rob12770 New Member

I'm no programmer but surely I wouldn't be THAT difficult to have the option of LHD or RHD in the setup options ? It's something that bothers me in EVERY sim, especially iracing ..

5. Stig's Cousin

Stig's Cousin New Member

So from memory, things needed to change a car from LHD to RHD, at least in AC:

- Make new mesh for the dashboard, and new mapping.
    - Make new mesh for mirrors, and new mapping.
    - Change the position and animation of the steering wheel.
    - Change the position and animation of the needles.
    - Change the position of the driver.
    - Create a new driver animation, adjusted for the correct seat, and with the correct hand animated on the gear stick.
    - Create a new RHD build, keeping the LHD.

In case you haven't noticed, yes, it's a pretty big amount of work. People often demand things because they think it's just pressing two keys and that's it. No it's not true.

Long ago, more than two decades ago, I wanted a mod for the game NFS 4 High Stakes. But no one made the car I wanted. The solution was simple: learn to make mods. And that's when you learn how much work and time it takes to create any kind of mod.

And that's why many modders (among which I am) do not usually accept requests. My time, like everyone else's, is worth money. Learning how to make mods, and trying and rehearsing for months until something decent comes out, only who is a mod creator knows.

Also the modding of each game is different, with each new game you have to learn how to make mods for that new game. There is no universal method for all games.

Enough is that we share our private works for free.

Best regards.

Postscript. No, I'm not a programmer either. I'm just a person who wanted something and fought to learn, instead of asking, and learned how to create things in 3D from scratch, without stealing and modifying other people's work. The network is full of tutorials with which to learn how to create cars and tracks. You just have to work hard and spend hours, and anyone can create what they want. And you have here the best AC car tutorial for do it:

https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/your-first-car-in-assetto-corsa-basic-guide.1019/

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    Fuzo, Johnr777 and luchian like this.
  6. Rob12770

Rob12770 New Member

I. Way too busy for all that, in also just a casual player..just trying out different sins etc again as I play in VR and sick of forking out a fortune for Iracing, but pretty much all other driving sims are old, outdated and not great in VR..playable, but just not great, its very annoying and TBH not understandable ..I play top notch AAA games in VR sob8ts not the hardware, when was the last time a GOOD sim was released with VR support ? Not much, thats why we are still trying to keep AC alive .. and yes getting back to my point, there's no reason any sim shouldn't have the choice of RHD or LHD cars as stock right from the start ‍♂️ ..it seems to me, that Driving sims are left WAY behind in general in the gaming world compared to everything else.

7. Stig's Cousin

Stig's Cousin New Member

But man, these mods are free. If you want to pay some modder to build RHD cars for you, go ahead. But no one is going to do all that work for you for free, the rest of us are busy too.

Think that there are only these reasons to create a mod:

1. It is a personal challenge from the creator.
    2. It is a special request from someone very close to the creator (wife, parent, child, best friend, or something similar).
    3. Someone has paid the modder to do the work (and it may already be a good amount).
    4. "Recognition in social networks."

The fourth point forget it. Currently mods are very complicated to make, they take a lot of work and time, nobody is going to spend countless hours to make a mod that will be criticized only to achieve "social recognition".

Mods are made for the first three points. And that's all.

The case of this FIAT that I have shared is directly the first point. A personal challenge to recreate in 3D one of my cars.

In fact my friends and I have been enjoying this mod for 5 years before I released it and made it public for free. My intention was to keep it private, but I decided to release it after many requests.

And then, of course, there has been no shortage of people to demand and criticize without contributing anything positive. So if I keep making more mods, I'll keep them private. And of course I won't accept requests either.

And about the rest of your complaint, you have to understand that you are making it known to the wrong person. Modders have no relationship with video game development companies.

Greetings.

Fuzo, Johnr777 and luchian like this.
  8. Rob12770

Rob12770 New Member

I'm not specifically talking to you..everyone can see this ..im going to stop talking to you now.

9. Stig's Cousin

Stig's Cousin New Member

So if you're not talking about me or my mod, but are talking in general, then surely you should make your point elsewhere. In the general forum, for example.

https://assettocorsamods.net/forums/acc-general-discussions.46/

or

https://assettocorsamods.net/forums/general.7/

or

https://assettocorsamods.net/forums/general-discussions.22/

You have a lot of options for general questions. Everyone can see this too.

Greetings.

10. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

Ok let me chime in

If - and thats a big IF - game makers/modellers would care from the start about L/RHD it would be quite easy, but to litterly demand that is just not what you see in games. You ever seen a left handed option in a game? Doubious comparsion, but it fits...

And if the amount of rhd countries will not significantly raise i doubt that will ever be a thing

Stig's Cousin likes this.
  11. Stig's Cousin

Stig's Cousin New Member

Welcome.

Maybe. It would depend on several things, including the way to build the game around the graphics engine. It could be solved in many ways but it is something that the video game developer must do.

It is not something that depends on a modeller. Not from a modder either.

Absolutely correct.

I guess game developers will know where in the world your games are sold, and in what volume. And based on that they will make their calculations. Are you going to allocate part of your company's resources to doing something that hardly anyone cares about, and that will not mean an increase in your profits? I don't think so.

Here a new user has complained that there are hardly any RHD mods. Well, mods like Chong's XR2 are RHD, and I have that same car parked in my real garage, but LHD. And not is the only RHD car mod i own on real life, but LHD (oh yeah, i love Ford cars). However, you will not read me complaining, and you will read me thanking him for creating that mods.

It is a simple matter of education and respect for the person who gives you for free a creation that has taken him a while of his life.

But as I said I don't think this is the right place for this kind of discussion.

Best regards.

12. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

It would be nice if one of the big YouTube channels would make a video about "making a mod" in our days, when so much detail is visible in-game (long gone are the days when a mod would be a box with 4 wheels and a texture). It would help to give a glimpse to people that are not familiar with the (painstaking) process. I think the closest there was, it's a video from Chris Haye about a fictional track he built. And still not specific enough.

To contribute a little to the discussion (even if still off-topic, sorry @Stig's Cousin :ninja:), Live For Speed is the only sim I know that has cars drivable in both LFD and RHD. It's selectable from the menu. Moreover, it has a fantastic VR integration, and very good physics.

@Stig's Cousin I like your story with this mod. I relate to point 2, it's how I started a track mod :nerd:. Thanks for sharing you work.

Stig's Cousin likes this.
  13. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Actually, everyone sees that you were specifically talking to him when you complained the car was LHD. Can't backtrack what was said...

And Stig perfectly bring's up the situation all modders are in nowadays. Doesnt matter if a mod is great or if its free, someone will... for whatever reason, think they that they are entitled to more. Or to make demands...

People like yourself dont realise the amount of work it takes to create something. Sure, you are busy. But who says we aren't? Should really feel lucky that his creation is being shared and you get to enjoy it.

luchian and Stig's Cousin like this.
  14. Stig's Cousin

Stig's Cousin New Member

I agree. But I doubt that will happen.

Man, this is your site and these are your rules. If you think this is the right place for this discussion, then this is the right place for this discussion. In no case do you have to apologize for anything. Believe me, I have been in your place as administrator and as moderator of a forum, and I highly respect and value the staff of a site.

True, I agree. But as you indicate, it is a feature of the game. Once again, something that a video game developer has created. It's not something that has to do with modding.

Thank you thank you very much. I may not be the best modder in the world but I really appreciate your comment.

And above all I appreciate your tutorials. Thanks to them I was able to make my mods for Assetto Corsa. Without them there would be nothing.

That this is another part: the sites are not maintained without work, and the information of the tutorials does not appear out of nowhere. But few understand this part, nor do they understand the work behind it... nor do they appreciate it. Is very sad.

Thank you for understanding and supporting my point of view. You said it in other words, but that's exactly what I think.

Greetings to all.

luchian likes this.
  15. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

And another thought to add:

Most modders (except (some of) those that do it for money) are people with big hearts :nerd:. I (e-)met so many awesome people thanks to modding and simracing. Sure, sometimes there are some bumps, but on the long run these great people are what keeps the motivation alive for me.

It's also great to hear that people find the site useful, and that it gave them the confidence to start/to try modding. Speaking of, @Johnr777 and @fughettaboutit are big contributors to keeping the information organized, and "greasing" the learning path when people do not find things easily.

Reading threads like this shows that there are many like-minded people, who understand and respect the effort put into modding. Hope everybody still finds some satisfaction from doing it, and that we see modding alive for many years to come (not only for AC, but there is Rennsport coming, there is AC2 coming, plenty of chances).

Cheers :)

fughettaboutit and Stig's Cousin like this.
  16. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

@Stig's Cousin I totally agree with everything you said in this thread, I would say it exactly the same way. People have no idea what modding takes...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice