Falling through terrain

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Hito, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Hito

Hito Member

Hi there me again with another query

Amateur enthusiast level of track making.

Made a track using the Glencoe area of Scotland, all running well even though i have let the texture count get a bit high it still runs smooth. I plan to learn how to combine texture into a single sheet later, i want ot get the basics nailed with a bit more confidence

My reason for posting is that when you leave the track, the back ground terrain has no structural integrity, you just fall into the abyss. Some parts of the track are fine but some parts you just go straight through and meet your maker.

I have tried using 3dsimEd to edit the fbx models as driveable but nothing, tried exporting from RTB as drivable when cut by track and also tried unticking the box but nothing works. Tried using KSeditor to change the names of the material to 1grass1 1grass2 etc etc from grass1 grass2. Tried editing the material data in RTB to tell AC that the background image is a Grass surface for AC, instead of the default Road surface

Really pulling my hair out on this on. I have the track running with invisible walls next to the track but i do not like this and would prefer to have it a bit more open roam feel like Longford 67, so if you leave the track it is a struggle getting back on but you do not fall through the map

Thanks for any advise that is offered and the usual beer token reward applies

Grant

2. SKY FLIGHT

SKY FLIGHT New Member

I don't know if it is the problem but try using capital, like 1GRASS.

luchian likes this.
  3. Hito

Hito Member

Sorry, my bad. I use capitals when editing the KS editor but it was 3am when i posted the plea for help and forgot that might be relevant

luchian likes this.
  4. Hito

Hito Member

Tried everything and starting to doubt my own sanity

£50 to anyone that can make the background a drivable surface and tell me how they did it

Please help i am house bound and the 3d modelling helps me escape the boredom

5. r@m

r@m Active Member

Have you defined your surfaces in surfaces.ini?..also check normals direction.

6. Hito

Hito Member

[SURFACE_0]
    KEY=ROAD
    FRICTION=0.97
    DAMPING=0
    WAV=
    WAV_PITCH=0
    FF_EFFECT=NULL
    DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
    IS_VALID_TRACK=1
    BLACK_FLAG_TIME=0
    SIN_HEIGHT=0
    SIN_LENGTH=0
    IS_PITLANE=0
    VIBRATION_GAIN=0
    VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

[SURFACE_1]
    KEY=GRASS
    FRICTION=0.88
    DAMPING=0
    WAV=kerb.wav
    WAV_PITCH=1.3
    FF_EFFECT=1
    DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
    BLACK_FLAG_TIME=0
    IS_VALID_TRACK=0
    SIN_HEIGHT=0
    SIN_LENGTH=0
    IS_PITLANE=0
    VIBRATION_GAIN=0.1
    VIBRATION_LENGTH=0.2

[SURFACE_2]
    KEY=PITS
    FRICTION=0.95
    DAMPING=0
    WAV=
    WAV_PITCH=0
    FF_EFFECT=NULL
    DIRT_ADDITIVE=0
    IS_VALID_TRACK=1
    BLACK_FLAG_TIME=0
    SIN_HEIGHT=0
    SIN_LENGTH=0
    IS_PITLANE=1
    VIBRATION_GAIN=0
    VIBRATION_LENGTH=0

7. Hito

Hito Member

How would i check Normals direction?

I have Blender, RTB and 3dsimED

8. r@m

r@m Active Member

I'm a Max user, but this should cover it for Blender, I'm assuming normals need to be pointing up for your track to be drive-able btw

luchian likes this.
  9. Hito

Hito Member

Tried flipping the Normals and when i export it from Blender the KS editor fails to load the mesh

Also tried making a ks file with just the terrain and track but nope it still goes straight through

10. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Please note that ROAD, GRASS, KERB, SAND are default surfaces, they are already defined so you don't need to include them in your track's surfaces.ini.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

r@m likes this.
  11. luchian

Did you shared your current version somewhere ? (I'd have a look tomorrow morning)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  12. Hito

Hito Member

What format would you like it in, kn5 or fbx or the original folder containing the BIN file?

So the surface ini is for additional surface over the default, i was wondering why nothing was changing

Thanks for any assistance

13. luchian

Fbx should be ok (unless you are using Blender, in which case .blend file would be perfect) :)

Re surfaces.ini, yes exactly.

14. Hito

Hito Member

Think i may have cracked it, i exported the track and terrain from RTB and unchecked the box marked "combine meshes" and "tag nearby as drivable". This produced favourable initial results, need more testing but initial impressions are good.

It produced 16000 unique grass sections of a much smaller area for each.

Humble thanks for your offer and if the testing comes back with any anomolies i will be back here like a dog that has shit on the carpet and begging forgiveness

luchian likes this.
  15. Hito

Hito Member

Initial testing threw up some 99% cpu warnings, maybe just too many unique surfaces, but i fiddled around with the system/cfg/assettocorsa.ini and no more 99% CPU warnings and runs a lot smoother on the Rift

The settings i changed were

[PHYSICS_THREADING]
    THREADS=4 ; -1 = automatic , 0 = disabled , 1...N number of threads dedicated to physics

[THREADING]
    USE_TIMER_PROCESS=1 ; -1=Automatic, no timer process for CPU with more than 2 cores, timer process for dual cores. 0=Always off. 1=Always on.
    SET_THREAD_AFFINITY_MASK=1 ; 0=Windows scheduler will decide where to run the threads. 1=Main thread assigned to Core0, physics thread assigned to Core1

Hope this is of some use to anyone else that might get high CPU occupancy warnings

Glencoe is now a joy to drive instead of being sphincter clenching roller coaster with the booby prize of meeting Beelzebub if you got it wrong

Next stage is reduce texture count on the models and improve the road texture

Maybe plan to get rid of any surplus terrain to take the strain off a bit

16. Hito

Hito Member

Update

Everything was going rather swimmingly until we tried it online. 1 car it was fine but when we added any more than 2 cars it would send the Physics to 200%+

How do it decrease the amount of areas from 12000 down to something a but more manageable for the PC?

Thanks for any advice given

17. luchian

Select and join small meshes of the same type.
    Only one condition: one mesh cannot have more that 65k values (so maybe around 60k tris to be on safe side).

18. Hito

Hito Member

At the moment each mesh has 4 tri so i think i may have a bit of work and even if i make each mesh combined 1000 times over i am still going to be only 4k tri

Does the mesh numbering have to run in sequence or will it run if the numbering is haphazard but unique, ie 1GRASS_1.......1GRASS_2........1GRASS_78......1GRASS _10956

Humble thanks for any advise

19. luchian

It doesn't need to be in sequence. It can be anything.

..and it won't be a problem anyway, 'cause after you will join the meshes you'll have just a few.

20. Hito

Hito Member

Yeah, i am working my way through them in Blender and making the far away stuff a graphical asset and making the active play area a bit smaller, hoping this should help with the physics calc AC has to carry out

Thanks again

luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice