Featured TUTORIAL Build your FIRST track - BASIC GUIDE

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by luchian, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy New Member

Maybe the face is other way, you can check that in blender or whatever u r using.
    Also, maybe try to download any random normal map, and try it on. Maybe that helps?

2. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

I´ve checked. The normals of that geometry are facing up, as they should. It´s maybe some issue with the export of the dds of maybe the settings in the shader inside kseditor... don´t know.

3. Weezy

Weezy New Member

Try recreating the texture?

4. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

I also tried that. Is there any written guide or something to create alpha textures like these?

5. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

Ok, after a few laps, I´ve discovered a weird thing:
    It´s not the crosswalk looking terrible in game, what I´m seeing in game is the white paint and... the empty space of the environment beneath my feet!! I mean, the alpha is letting me see-through not only the crosswalk object, but the tarmac too!!
    WTF!!
    [​IMG]

6. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

Ok, found the solution after a lot of googling, it was a shader setup issue. The material for this DDS texture with transparency should be:
    • ksperpixel
    • Blend mode Alpha Test
    • Transparency off (which doesn´t make sense to me, but... ok)

Now it works like a charm:
    [​IMG]

7. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Having a look at how a Kunos track is made, can usually save you a lot of time googling

8. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

Ok, I´m starting to build the environment for the track, and there´s one thing I´m struggling
    with. I have this object which is the terrain, but it just doesn´t show up in kseditor. Why??

EDIT: Nevermind, the object was set to "inactive". Silly me
    EDIT 2: So, when I export the track, the car starts to "crash" and get hit by... nothing, so you can´t drive. The world mesh is moved to the bottom so it doesn´t intersect with the track. Any tip?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  9. Weezy

Weezy New Member

Hello, im having a problem with pits. everytime i enter the game my car spawns at x0 y0 z0.
    I have these cube names,
    AC_PIT_0
    AC_PIT_1
    AC_START_0
    AC_START_1
    PLS HELP :')

10. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Read the first page of this thread?

We also need more details... cube axis orientation correct? Is the road the car spawning on named correctly? 1ROAD, or 1PIT, etc...

11. Weezy

Weezy New Member

Is cube orientation important enough to make my car spawn at x0 y0 z0 if not done right? I usually skip rotating the cube, mb thats the problem

12. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Everything thats important is explained on page 1. Skipping things is not the correct way to create content for AC :)

13. Weezy

Weezy New Member

Ah, makes sense:D. I'm working on different projects now so don't worry about me!

14. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

So I´m having a lot of problems with the AI line. To be precise with trying to set track cameras. I´m supposed to set where I want the start/end of any cam by clicking in the AI line. Problem is, when I click the AI it picks a random point, sometimes it more or less sets itself at the correct place, sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it sets a mark somewhere far from correct. It´s driving me crazy.
    And yes, my road mesh is set in the 0,0,0 origin and the local axes are correct (y up, z forward).

EDIT: Found the solution. There seems to be something tricky in the fbx export for, apparently, any software. Just load the kn5 into 3dsimed and export as fbx. Load the new fbx into kseditor and load also the ai line. It will work just fine. When you have your cameras all set, you can delete the fbx, since it was just a temporary file to make the cameras work.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  15. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

Maybe dont use ksEditor for that, but this instead.
    Use "new auto 'camera....' ".
    upload_2022-3-23_21-34-27.png
    And maybe CamInfo after that to refine individual cams.

Oh you found a solution, nice!

16. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

Wow... didn´t know about that. Looks like a simpler solution than kseditor. I will definitely have a look on that.
    Anyways, here are the cameras I set up:

17. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

Lilski camera Tutorial, (you can forward to 3mins):

18. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

Hi, I´m porting the applevalley speedway from rfactor2 to AC and it´s going very well, almost finished. The only thing is the road is way too bumpy. You can see the suspensions going up and down like it´s a stone road or something.
    I´ve checked the geometry and it´s all flat and smooth, there isn´t any strange value in the surfaces.ini and the 3d objects don´t have any extreme position.

19. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Duplicate geometry? this could happen if you have 2 road meshes

20. PAQUITO

PAQUITO New Member

I´ve checked. There is no duplicated or overlapping geometry. I cleaned in Blender just to be sure, and it´s ok. All the transformations are applied in the model, etc...
    I don´t know if it´s related, but... I´ve noticed when I enter the game, the car "bumps" into the track, as if it were up in the air a little and then it lands. That won´t happen in other tracks I´ve made.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice