COCKPIT Alex Open Sim Wheel and rig project (work in progress)

Discussion in 'SimRigs | Wheels' started by Alexjonson, Jul 3, 2015.

1. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Damn, these are so sexy !
    It's like being in front of candy shop and looking through the window. Arrrgghh !

2. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Fellas!
    [​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  3. luchian

[​IMG]

OH FRIKIN SWEET ! Mate, you are building every simracer's dream ! :D.
    This time, no remarks only unlimited curiosity about what's next ! :rolleyes:

Plus a few questions:
    Handbrake - what, where from ?
    And the IONI solution. Is this a better solution than the other drive (also from Granite) ?

4. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Haha fun pic mate!
    Time will tell what's next up ;)
    I do belive the IONI solution is the better solution compared to the Argon, also from Granite. It's half the price and more or less designed for our useage with DD wheels. Aswell with Ionizer coming, which is like an amplifier for the IONI it will manage to bring us to forces that would probably snap off our hands with some bad luck...... :lol:

Handbrake here.

luchian likes this.
  5. luchian

Didn't know about the Ionizer; cool cool times to be a simracer !
    Thanks for the link with the handbrake. Looks really cool for the price. Remains to be seen how to link it to some buttons/controller.

6. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Very cool times. I think I could have the setup up and running within about ~8 weeks since I only spend my weekend time on the rig, I don't really have had the time to spend it during week days. Will keep you guys updated how I make my handbrake. :)

luchian likes this.
  7. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

I'm abusing memes, and I love it.
    '[​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  8. ihlades

ihlades Well-Known Member Staff Member

Awesome project! Keep it up!

9. luchian

I won't even bother to comment right now (biig hury), because this deserves a proper analysis.
    ..but it's as exciting as a real car project ! Impressive !

10. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Not much of an update today, it's been a really busy week so I haven't had alot of free simracing dedicated time exept emailing back and forth. Tommorow however will be a really fun day! I will travel off into the distance to pick up some more hardware for the project aswell as setting up a Leo Bodnar SimSteering version 2 system with an Kollenmogen AKM54 motor, rated at almost 30nm torque, a beast of a servo, which will be really interesting and fun!

Upwards and onwards fellas!

11. ihlades

ihlades Well-Known Member Staff Member

I think my old car puts out less torque than that. :lol: Cool!

luchian likes this.
  12. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

:lol:
    Will be doing a write up if I find out anything interesting when playing around with setup. Also I have made a 2,5 pages of FFB info and how it works.

luchian likes this.
  13. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Ok.. So I survived the Sim Steering 2 testing. I don't have alot of compare to on that sort of high end. But I can only say, HOLY ****. I drove iRacing with v8 supercar (obviously :lol:) with seq shift. We turned the wheel up to 29nm of force (maximum force), I still have pain in my hands and in my left under arm. I can honestly say, this was just amazing. 29nm is just pure pain. I was sweating like a pig after 2 laps.
    Then we turned the force down a little bit and swapped to the Star Mazda and Philip Island. In the long sweeping corners, you can feel literally every bump in the road very clear, and the way you can catch slides, it's on another level. I think I spun the v8 supercar once on the chrest at Lime Rock when the car lifted. No, this can't be explained, it has to be experienced! I'm over the moon. I really hope the OSW will be the same, even tho the Bodnar system has a more expensive servo motor.
    He also had a set of Main Performence PC Sim Pedals on his rig. The brake pedal, which is hydralic, felt really really good I have to say. Felt so natural. Top notch pedals aswell.
    I'll give this day a 11/10 on a scale. My grin can't be any bigger! :lol:
    Update coming tommorow on investments and build process.

luchian likes this.
  14. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

I even make my own memes now.

[​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  15. luchian

Wow ! I didn't understand from first post when sayin "I'll be setting up a DD wheel". So it was actually a test !!! You lucky creature ! :D.
    I hope you'll not look down on your mige now; Honestly (..I have tested 0, ofc) I think 30Nm is simply too much. I have my doubts even for 20. I am not speaking about a 5 min test; I am looking at those 1.5-2h endurance races. If it becomes a real pain/suffrance it will be "too much" in my book. Let alone you'll probably loose anyways :D.
    Great infos in any case, keep us in the loop :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

16. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

30 nm is so off the scale of any type of racing as you can get, after 5 laps I couldn't do it anymore! The holding force the wheel gets its just pure insane. Will be up there again in 2 weeks hopefully to do some more testing with his new steering wheel and shit. I like alot of force, just rough estimations should be somewhere between 15-20 nm for sprints, a little bit lower for endurance maybe. We'll see!
    It's an amazing monster Mr Bodnar has created tho.
    Best part of it is that I found some new motivation for my project, started fading a little bit when everyone else is driving while I'm in the garage doing all the junk work, but sooner or later I will be on the track.... cutting the grass on the outside :lol:
    I also have eyes on another DIY project once the osw project is fully paid off, this is a bloody never ending circle. But thats another story for another day.

Race on chaps

luchian and assettocorsamods like this.
  17. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Update. No meme because I'm too tired. :lol:

luchian likes this.
  18. luchian

Wow, this projects gets more and more impressive every day. I love how much energy and investment is put into it. I read quite a few simracing forums, but I don't remember seeing a project so.. complete ! Great work, and great info.

Those welds look sweet indeed ! Is this the machine ? or you had previous experience in welding ?

If I had anything to say, maybe I'd doubt the screens (well not the screens per se, but actually their size - 24 may be too small ? I ran 3x23" myself, and definitely sometimes I'd like'em bigger :) ).

Surely can't wait to see this getting closer together and having the image on the final assembly.

PS: why not add - date - to each of the updates, so no need to count them afterwards :D

19. Alexjonson

Alexjonson Active Member

Well you would have to check out Remco Hitmans project, thats on another scale! But thanks for the kind words, always nice to hear someone appreciates what I do and the effort I actully put into it.

I did some welding a few years back at school, but I did need alot of re-learning to get back to where I am with the welds atm, they can certainly be improved, but still, they are so fkn strong.
    The welding itself is loads of DIY because I heat the material then I add the filling material myself, so without being ashamed, It's my effort that makes the look of the welds. (trying not being cocky here)

I agree that the screens are a tad small, but for the price I got them for, I could not turn that down. We'll see what happens later on, viritual reality is constantly improving aswell but it's not fully there yet imo.
    Good Idea, from the next update and on I'll add a date for sure.

I've also started designs on the next DIY project, but I'll keep that a secret until it's actully something to show ;)

luchian likes this.
  20. luchian

Damn it, I knew it couldn't be THAT easy (welding) :D. So no matter the machine, it couldn't help me.
    If I'll go the DIY route, I'll probably stick with aluminum profiles, I'm good at assembling :).

..and now of course you'll need to spill the price for that good deal, so we can envy you properly :D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice