Accurate Elevations for France ?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by r@m, Jun 16, 2017.

1. r@m

r@m Active Member

C'etait Un Rendevous, I'll be posting a WIP as soon as I get the general layout done.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah from what I can find out all consumer GPS devices are pretty inaccurate, looking into DGPS now.
    Differential GPS is supposed to be more accurate, and bloody expensive!

Think I'll just go to France for a few days and eyeball it all with a camera.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Willy Wale likes this.
  2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

one thing I have done is load up some gps from a trackday driver in Utah into google earth, the XY from google is always generally wrong anyway, but I had the gps which did measure the heights and whilst I didn't use it, I'm sure it would have been relatively accurate. it was the rest of the data I was unhappy with not the gps. and it wasn't the gps line I would use, but the relationships between like 1 turn to the next regards any inclines or declines etc.

3. r@m

r@m Active Member

Ack, I can't be arsed looking anymore, going to France is much more appealing :D

luchian likes this.
  4. Pixelchaser

well if its des Champs-Élysées you doing, i`m it sure will :)

luchian and r@m like this.
  5. r@m

r@m Active Member

wee wee, lots of beer stop-offs :p

6. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hahaha, crazy idea :) ! I have lived in Paris a few years but in our days it's impossible to do something like that run, even at 3am :D. It's full of cars every time, especially the #peripherique. So a virtual version would be very fun to "practice" :). Good luck and have fun.

7. Willy Wale

Willy Wale Member

Oh nice one. Don't forget the pigeons.

8. r@m

r@m Active Member

I've been meaning to do this for years, the level of work involved always put me off, but yeah it's a good burn and I'll probably expand it to other areas of Paris as well.

Yeah I was wondering about that, what animation possibilities are there for the effect ? I know in one track there are aeroplanes that fly across the sky, but so far I've found no information on timings / speed etc, and had no success animating anything other than using the flag shader, which would be a cheap effect for this.
    Also AI seems very limited for "other traffic" although I haven't really looked into any of this yet.

9. r@m

r@m Active Member

I just found a pic of the champs, maybe the elevations I found aren't so "off" after all, you just don't see this in google street maps, I didn't realise the slope was that pronounced.

25m drop seems pretty close.

upload_2017-7-1_13-2-51.png

luchian likes this.
  10. Pixelchaser

you know you can create a kml from google. and take it elsewhere and add the heights. from google but not through google services ?

this is old video, but its similar process, possibly in more updated software. your search parameter should be "adding height to KML" this route builder program is mainly for gps too btw.

11. r@m

r@m Active Member

Yeah I've been through all that, they all give similar but "vague" results, all good enough for a starting point but all in need of some tweaking.
    As this is the first map I've ever attempted I'm still undecided on the best approach, after faffing about for days I'm going to try a street by street approach instead of trying to do the whole thing at once, it gets messy real quick otherwise ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  12. Pixelchaser

to me a real road is just a real road. it doesn't need the nuances a race track has. I also think where real roads come into play, everything else is actually more important. mainly because real roads are designed to be driven safely and can be driven without even thinking about it. when we drive up champs elysees, were looking at the hookers, the street performers and art, and the lovely French ladies. not the road :lol:

13. r@m

r@m Active Member

Paris streets are cobbly and bumpy,weird and wonky, subtle nuances with pits and falls, irregular widths, no street is the same, when you watch the rendezvous video the suspension is working overtime.
    This is why true elevations are going to be a challenge...lots of soft selection and pulling of verts, and yet another reason to spend a few days in France :D

luchian likes this.
  14. Willy Wale

Willy Wale Member

Have you tried to look for a floodmap. There's this one.
    http://www.floodmap.net/
    You could adjust the flood height and with a series of images make a height map.

15. r@m

r@m Active Member

No point really, same elevation data as all the other sites:

"Nasa's 90m resolution SRTM data is used for the application."

I'm good with the elevations, really, nothing is accurate enough, I'm fine with using it as a rough estimate and eyeballing the rest.

thx

luchian and Willy Wale like this.
  16. r@m

r@m Active Member

This is what bugs me about GE, when you use photo-realistic 3D buildings the elevation levels are there, you can visually see all the subtle 1 to 2 meter level changes, much more accurate than when exporting terrain elevations or kml lines.

The kml elevations follow the old STRM data, maybe one day it will follow the new 3D building layer.

There's no way to get the building layer either, I've tried all the old methods using 3Dx ripper and the new data is ignored, I've yet to find a tool that will pull the data out of memory.

upload_2017-7-6_10-53-59.png

upload_2017-7-6_11-0-25.png

17. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie New Member

I'm using free LIDAR of France for my Circuit Clermont-Ferrand.

Are you sure that none exists for Paris?

18. r@m

r@m Active Member

Not that I could find, where did you get your LIDAR from ?

19. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie New Member

20. r@m

r@m Active Member

Yeah I looked there weeks ago, there's no data for Paris or it's surrounding areas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice