W.I.P. Lime Rock

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Pixelchaser, Feb 22, 2017.

1. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

I like how this one looks. And also the 1st one in your last post. I love to see detail in the (2d) textures, like we can see the grass on the hill behind the lotuses. That's why we take those gazillion megapixels shots, or use 4K textures :). Why would I even need 3d grass when it looks like that. Anyway, to have photo-realistic 3d grass to compete with the photo of real grass in a texture, it's not that easy.. but that's just my taste.
    Great progress.

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

that in the background though, I was like wow. I went to investigate and detail scale was way off. it just happened to look good there. ingame pics are a merge of the first iterations and taking the crazy base variation away. I couldn't manage the grass over all of it like that and expect to get away with it. but it needs lots of time , this is my plan. this is the palette. [​IMG]

I have to say, driving ingame was utterly thrilling with 3dgrass.

luchian likes this.
  3. Pixelchaser

not great, but it adds so much to the track.

4. luchian

LE: this is regarding post #363 (dayum, 362!)

Having it looking like this sounds perfect to me, but that should also mean having detail when you get close.

However,
    If you like it more with 3d grass, then go for that.. :)
    I am stating my view, but in the end, it's your track. And all this is for the visuals only. Whatever you choose, it's not "wrong". Not to say, that the final feel is given by the road. If it drives well, I am guessing 3d grass or not, it will still be a lovely track :).

5. luchian

With the video compression, looks good in the video if you ask me !

6. Pixelchaser

with trees, obscuring the background I think its gona look nice.

luchian likes this.
  7. luchian

Definitely. That's maybe the next step, before deciding if grass stays or gets yet again modified :)

8. Pixelchaser

its easy to make once you got the workflow. I save with scatter layer not collapsed on a layer, then I can make all ks layers by changing the percentage of scatter. I thought doing the scatter for layer 5 the really tight layer might be too much, so I didn't do it :lol:. when I add that it will be fully grassed up with hardly any space, its a balancing act too when it comes to the thinkness of a grass blade and what you can see past it and at what frequency of gaps etc. and its that plus a remarkably well placed texture that makes the LFS style.

luchian likes this.
  9. Pixelchaser

@luchian , remember back the problem with trees going off in the distance and them becoming strangely invisible but the sillouette was still there ?. mip map problem¿? how to fix that ?

10. luchian

mantasisg likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

I have experienced the same issue, at the end I just stopped trying to use trees like that. Alpha channel blends down in the mip maps. I never fixed it completely, but it was easy to make it better by saving DDS with limited mipmaps amount, and then opening the image with mipmaps on, and then editing alpha chanels manually, to make sure that they are completely white where they should be, and not bleeding.

12. Pixelchaser

my mips are are white and black too. and anything other than black or white is an issue.

the fix is to use a 1bit alpha. so its on or off. grey is not registered and means you don't need to re check.

thanks for the link Luchian. lilski highlights the use of 1 bit alpha dxt1 . here is the result , perfect.... :lol: one curious problem I actually quite like when in game though.

problem.
    [​IMG]

fix
    [​IMG]

however this means these textures need to be Pixel art. no amount of graphical RGB blending in the texture works at all, and theres other things wrong now... hmmmm

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  13. Pixelchaser

looking a bit closer at this, this is not the fix, as its breaking stuff even more. I'm looking at an ac texture and its dxt5......

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

It is very weird that you have this issue with grass texture. When I had it was tree branch texture with really really tiny leaves, and a bit too compressed. I also tried to increase resolution, I think it also helped slightly. Maybe you could just try to redo grass texture, to make the grass a little bit thicker. Or both...

15. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

Dxt1 works with gimp and it's dds export. I never figured out how to fix with the nvidia exporter.

16. Pixelchaser

I like the effect, but its buggin the crap out of me, so I test all my textures (DXT5), some work, some don't. strange one. its as if ... (hard to explain).... there needs to some balance of black and white pixels. I duno.

17. LilSKi

LilSKi Well-Known Member

If it means anything this setting also helps with GIMP pluggin
    upload_2017-12-12_10-9-30.png

Default is 0.50 but if you move up closer to 1.0 is can help.

luchian and Pixelchaser like this.
  18. Pixelchaser

cant relate any settings to photoshop unfortunately. I'm convinced that whilst the trees may require DXT1. I'm seeing kunos use DXT5 for grass.. and some of my textures work the same as theirs, some not. the main culprit is a 2048 wide per metre texture. with thin grass blades. the problem is imo a rendering issue where grass is concerned and it relates to just how your alpha is generated in block form. the nly example I can state is the more cartoon like the build of the grass and the alpha are the better the result.

I prefer my grass as it currently is to be honest all be it seemingly an issue. it just fades out more and doesn`t come into viewing context until later. but that all changes depending on camera zoom etc too. hence my suggestion its a render anomaly with the engine capacity to `not` deal with it..

I'm just going to possibly go for it unless a genuine known fix is found. I prefer this hi rez grass when you are close and less definition when away from it than any of the default kunos grass. and :lol: that's your fault Mr @luchian for bringing LFS images into the swaray.. hehe I had a perfectly good ac style grass texture before. but it did suck...

kunos grass = fading at front and back.~
    my 1st texture = thick at front and fading to back,
    my last texture seen in recent screens = twice the resolution (2k) sparse at front and fading right to back like kunos texture . the only difference in these textures is the artwork contained within each one. blade thickness etc.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  19. luchian

Hahaha, sorry for waking up your OCD monster. But I reckoned you are very good in 2d so I thought that LFS approach will give better results and you'll be more in control of the final result. This thing with the textures is really annoying tho. It's probably the mipmaps.

20. Pixelchaser

yeah , think ill just use an ac texture tbh. and then revisit it once its time for that coz there is nothing else to do.

: Lime Rock, Track
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice