Jaguar XJ13 - One built, never raced

Read more about this resource...

luchian likes this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

I have an interesting thing in mind.

Some might know that in Nordschleife there are some funky stuff with physics, because of large scale map the physics struggles with precission, or something like that, can't remember preciselly what has been said.

I wonder if it has possibly resulted in some particular vehicles handling compromises. This is a total conspiration theory, sorry :D

Today after a long time I drove XJ in Nords at first. it was a disaster, can't really describe how badly twitchy the car was, very hard to be precise. So then I went to Donnington Park mod, the modern one. And it handled completely differently, very well, in a very believable way. At first (after Nords) i thought, wow - it is indeed really bad (remembering al the negative opinions), but then after Donnington I thought, that wow - we made one of the best cars in AC indeed.

Ironicaly Jason used to test cars mostly in Nordschleife, I pretty much ruined Nordschleife with my tweaks I guess, sorry, but I am absolutely sure it got better in usual circuits :)

I also had ton of fun with DRM revival cars today, i didn't update it, because I'm afraid that the team might have dumbed down some stuff in order to meet regular expectations. I hope they didn't.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

And one more thing to add. I was greatly criticised for reducing the reflectivity of the paint shader. I know it is not usual, but it was bothering me a lot, that in some cases car looked just totaly wrong, color washed out, it looked like broken to me in many cases. I understand that now it might look too flat in few occasions, but it was my choice, and I think I made good choice, perhaps people with worse reflectivity settings has more reasons to complain i don't know.

Thankfuly in near future with real time ray tracing technology we won't have such issues.

5. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

I did not explicitly tried the Jag, but the limitations AC physics engine are about 16km x 16km (so basically 8km from the origin in any direction). Graphical can be bigger.

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Yeah it is very interesting how it is, for example I also tried Nurburgring, and then I also tried Nordschleife endurance, which is those two track combined. It is really interesting how it works with Jag. It is pretty perfect in GP track, and it is very noticeably more twitchy and harder to be precise when you are in green hell, perhaps different more bumpy mesh also adds to it, IDK.

It is interesting how lots of cars aren't that much different in green hell than in other tracks, though I can think of some particular cars, such as 918 spider, it is really harder in Nords than in other tracks :D

Kunos was really going on the edge when I think about Nordschleife and that physics limitation, it really was one of their first huge wins :)

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

I highly recommend trying XJ13 at Goodwood WET version. My tire tweaks also adds up well for reduced grip, which is in this case supposed to be wet tarmac and polished wet tarmac... Tire basicaly has more grip, but it can loose more. Feels good at around 20C and Fast grip, if you want you can get more severe conditions and lower laptimes.

somake likes this.
  8. Kondor999

Kondor999 New Member

Absolutely one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) AC mods ever made. Happy to see if it found a home here, away from the sim racing "experts".

This is an appropriately challenging car, as it will punish you for lifting mid-corner in a way that modern cars don't. Having grown up driving rear-engined cars (911) and cars with semi-trailing arm rear suspensions (323i), I can tell you there's one thing my dad drilled into me: NEVER LIFT.

Quick question for the creator: The car feels like it has a "Detroit locker" type one-way diff (100% locking on accel, with a completely open diff on decel). Is that accurate? It certainly feels like there is little or no locking on decel. And no, I'm not complaining :)

Cars of this era tended to use this sort of diff, so it feels perfectly authentic to me. I am just curious.

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Thanks, you even make me want to drive it again once more :)

As for diff, aphidgod is the man there. But yes it is something like GT40 if not the same diff. You can see values in drivetrain.ini. Also engine torque output when coasting matters a lot. Can be seen in engine.ini, and coast.lut.

somake likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice