how are you controlling various track widths when using centre spline.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by LockeNessMotorsports, Sep 4, 2018.

1. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

Hey, after making Parc and learning a ton in the process I'm now on Maya however I'm using a different method now.

What I wanted to ask is if you are using a centre spline and lofting/sweeping the track mesh how are you doing the various widths around the track as a cross section is 0.5 for example.

On parc I made a very low poly base mesh before smooth and moved all verts manually to the track edges but it was a nightmare surely there's another way.

I had way too many issues later on down the line :lol: due to the low poly mesh, the other issue was if you smoothed the mesh once and smoothed again before export it'd just be a mess .

I took a leap Idk if it was a good or bad idea and started freelancing for a firm doing tracks and I'm learning the track manager says I need to clean some stuff up but he's helping me out.

2. acfastfab

acfastfab Member

Hello,
    An easy solution is to use 2 splines.
    One exterior and one interior.
    It even allow to adjust precisely camber, inclination etc...
    I made a tutorial for 3DS max last year about that. It must be easily reproductible on Maya I think... ;)

You can look at the other videos of my channel if you want there is also one where I show to unwrap the UVs on this kind of road with different widths.

3. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

I did see that before, amazing method I think I'm doing something similar now as Mayas loft works like that you need to two splines and you join them together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice