W.I.P. Goodwood Circuit 0.99

A classic track which has been preserved and kept alive to this day

1. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

even when they are part of a single mesh ?

otherwise, loving this phase of a project. when you are far from the empty scene, and just tweaking stuff and putting time into details.

mantasisg likes this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Yes, just simply nothing is rendered in very far distance. I guess this is connected to overly strong natural fog even in clear weathers. This is taking quite a bit from all tracks, isolating them from very far backgrounds. Though can not argue about it, because it can be so IRL with high humidity and no wind to blow it away.

Yes interesting phase, I hope not to ruin performance haha However there were some badly performing mods, and I haven't seen complaints about it.

3. luchian

So.. here is that comparison video I was threatening with :D. It's sort of quickly done, so not perfect match, but it serves the purpose. So, if you ask me, only the exit of of Madgwick is a bit too much. Otherwise, it's quite nice. If you don't ask me, then.. well, all is good :lol:

mantasisg and paul_wev like this.
  4. luchian

PS: forgot to mention that the S3 is rather special in AC, suspention wise. Is it realistic ? Don't know. The standard F40 is not as rough. So the behaviour above might be an isolated case.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Thank you, I thought that it will look bumpier. Looks better than expected. But as expected some places seem a little bit bumpier, and some others seem slightly smoother. Thanks for the video, Luchian.

Madgwick exit is really weird sometimes it is more, and sometimes less bumpy. I made it slightly less bumpy, as well as few other spots in 0.8 version IIRIC.

luchian likes this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

What do you think about this.
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile I keep on mowing forward

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  7. luchian

Hahaha. I guess it comes a point, where some decisions can be based on the artistic effect more than on the reality. But in my opinion, seeing how uniform the cut grass looks, it's not worth it to sacrifice all the polys and performance on 3d grass. A detailed 2d texture might do very well justice.
    As a bonus, maybe some (very) scattered 3d fins (flowers ?) can be thrown is some areas. Like the photo I have placed from LFS, in LRP thread (in case it's not obvious, I LOVE that look) :D.

mantasisg likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Yes, I was thinking to blend in some of these yellow and white things. Like in this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wish there would be a way to make Normal Map to be always visible and not to appear only with low sun angles. Would be helpful for more realistic look.

paul_wev and luchian like this.
  9. Mr Whippy

Mr Whippy Active Member

The irony of wanting unrealistic material properties to get a more realistic look hehe.

I bet you could pump the normals to get more apparent lumpiness in the grass surface.
    Think how the topology might look if you draped a cloth over the grass... probably very lumpy even on apparently smooth areas.

Either way it looks stunning. I love your distant terrain.
    I've done similar on a huge track before and it really puts you there vs panorama textures which fall apart on bigger open tracks.

A shame AC is culling the rendering so closely though.
    Imo they should use 50km rendering, backfavd culling, and ask authors to optimise *if* needed, rather than forcing a short draw distance on everything!

Can't wait to see more :)

mantasisg likes this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Yeah in AC panoramas aren't very great. I really wish it was better. Can I ask what track you have been working on ? The one huge track which had great panorama was Targa Florio.

As for cloth it would really depend on the fiber :D

This is how I wish my grass would look all the time. But the normals kicks in properly only when sun is low and in rather small areas. Here are few better examples. I have been tweaking my grass textures and shader settings, so they aren't the same anymore:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe I should try even more agressive normal map. But I don't want it to look ugly in sunsets then...

By the way, I think Gran Turismo sport has the nicest terrains in racing game ever, and looks like they use very little of "3D grass". Their shaders and normal maps are briliant.

Edit: Tried to add more contrast to normal maps and to diffuse textures too, helps a bit. But dreams not achieved. I also can not use too much of contrast because after certain point tiling seems to start to begin to appear.

Maybe I will find something more, but I doubt.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Screenshots betatesting showcase time yay ! Are you happy ? Alright then, lets check whats going on.

Redone Daffodils.
    [​IMG]|
    [​IMG]

Working on Hydragea aka Hortensia aka That one toxic plant. Pretty difficult to get it right, still needs adjustments. It is still too much this or that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trying to improve kerbs textures and mapping. Including much too dark Hortensia leaves. Not long ago found out how useful are filter galeries in photoshop, for example for adding detail to normal maps:
    [​IMG]

Added some weeds to the place to be, KSLAYER4, probably will double them by making KSLAYER5, because seems a bit sparse. Had some trouble with them today, skipped dinner, but hey it ended well. Thankfully I had some potatoes and a steak half ready, so I'm still alive :D (#godsavethemodder)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One day boy.... one day...

luchian and paul_wev like this.
  12. luchian

Yellow flowers look great.
    Track looks nicely populated also on that photo from the back.
    3d grass looks very well actually, from that low angle (..I asume it's not the same story when raising the camera).

That detail on the kerbs though.. it's fine from a NM point of view; but the texture as a whole looks a little bit blurry.

Anyway, very nice progress, polishing phase seems productive :). I find the overall look more and more coherent.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Pretty happy about the daffodils, worked out. Track is getting quite close to being fully modelled in terms of objects and mesh. Hopefully all assets will be there in a month.

3D grass was a bit struggle, I use Kunos texture, which means that it should look good. But at first it was terrible. Then I found out that after placing grass all the vertex normals ran away, so had to reassign them, and then looked good. I think it looks good from all angles, but from a higher angles and from the side is a bit sparse now.

IDK about kerbs, might have to go deeper on textures. It is a bit challenging because I want to have them very rubbered at places where the apexes are, and the tires are heavily loaded on them, and sideways.

Thanks, man :) I find it better and better too.

paul_wev likes this.
  14. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    mantasisg and luchian like this.
  15. luchian

I like the looks of this ^

16. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

done with care and attention i think this is good enough to not need the full 3d grass coverage, but favour the sparse 3d method that creates grass flurry over distance only... but alas during the day this annoying ac engine diminishes the normal map completely :(

17. luchian

The grass above looks good without NM also. It has those embedded shadows, sort of an AO for grass. At least in that shot (you sneaky photographer).

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

Yeah thats perfect texture, and normal maps. I have pretty good NM map too, also generated. But not scaled precisely, my rgb mask is a bit blended anyway.

I am familiar wit hNM generators, though first year I thought that NM maps are made by hand :lol:

This one seems nice and cheap gotta check, Jim Lloyd pointed me out one too, haven't checked yet. Insane Bump Map generator is ok for me, but there are some issues. I have tried "CrazyBump" trial version. That one is perfect. But expensive, even student version is very expensive.

I also wanted to share my progress today.

Today I have pushed forward to this 3D grass thing. I have chosen to seek for something similar like this:
    [​IMG]

A few hours of work, I have been adding planes which are not dense at all, but it summed up to 300 000 vertices anyway. Previously whole track was 1 000 000.

First result was disappointing, no colors, almost worse than better look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was only visible from low angle, and with large fov. Even thought just to remove. But then had an idea to make blooms larger in the texture. And it was much better then.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

luchian and paul_wev like this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Active Member

My edge meshes doesn't blur. They are alphablend mode and set to transparent. here is screen from Goodwood, and then a screen from Brands Hatch. Maybe some ideas why it could be so ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pixelchaser likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice