QUESTION Anyone has an idea how to stop the steering animation moving the animated hands?

Discussion in 'General' started by Doriz, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Doriz

Doriz New Member

Ok this might sound non-sense, but what I meant is that, I made a driver animation, these animations applied to the hands, but the thing is when I play the animation and steer, the hands also move even when the driver animation is playing, how can I avoid this from happening?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  2. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

I am trying to understand what's the issue but I am quite confused with the description, would you maybe record a video of it? Or explain in better detail?

3. Doriz

Doriz New Member

yes, here is a video

see how the driver hand on the left is also moving with the steering animation? this is what i want to know how to avoid.

4. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

So the video was useful. First of all, this animation stuff is quite tricky to get right because steering and shifting animations are "vanilla" which need to follow strict rules and rest like handbrake animation or moving legs are (should be) CSP controlled animations. So I wonder, how did you do the handbrake animation? Is it separate animation activated trough CSP or you tried to use vanilla stuff from the pipeline? Can you share your CSP config part which controls the animation? Or explain at least how did you do it please. What are the names of all of the animation files used in the video?

5. Doriz

Doriz New Member

So the way i did the animation, i opened assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev\Driver animation
    and saw that wow, you can make the driver do other stuff than steering? then i got the idea of making that handbrake animation, the first thing i did, i made the keyframes on 120 (im using 3dsmax btw), then i deleted all the steering key frames because as far as i know these will play when i also play that handbrake animation, then after i have done the animation i exported the driver, and opened ks editor (Open FBX Animation) then i took that animation file, placed it in the animations folder and placed this code in ext_config.ini

[ANIMATION_...]
    INPUT = HANDBRAKE
    FILE = driver_hand.ksanim ;driver hand for handbrake pulling
    TIME = 1.0
    INPUT_AS_PROGRESS = 0
    LOOP_WHILE_ACTIVE = 0
    LOOP_KEEP_UNTIL_DONE = 1
    TICK_TOCK_MODE = 0

[ANIMATION_...]
    INPUT = HANDBRAKE
    FILE = handbrake.ksanim ;handbrake object
    TIME = 1.0
    INPUT_AS_PROGRESS = 0
    LOOP_WHILE_ACTIVE = 0
    LOOP_KEEP_UNTIL_DONE = 1
    TICK_TOCK_MODE = 0

the reason im asking this is because i saw one of my friends actually did that without what i mentioned in the video.

6. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

You did it in 3dsmax or blender?

7. Doriz

Doriz New Member

3DS Max

8. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

Your procedure was not bad, can't find anything wrong with it, just some point which come to my mind to check:
    - be sure you exported and baked the animation for the whole hand, including fingers (just nulls, not the mesh)
    - your first frame should be hand away from the wheel, somewhere in the middle between wheel and the handbrake, not when the hand is still on the wheel
    - both handbrake lever and the hand need to have same frame count and should be in sync with each other
    - try this script which is from my Cupra TCR:

[ANIMATION_...]
    FILE=handbrake.ksanim ; hand animation
    INPUT=HANDBRAKE
    HOLD_STATE=1
    INPUT_AS_PROGRESS = 1

[ANIMATION_...]
    FILE=car_handbrake.ksanim
    INPUT=HANDBRAKE
    HOLD_STATE=1
    INPUT_AS_PROGRESS = 1
    LOOP_WHILE_ACTIVE = 0

9. Doriz

Doriz New Member

here is the thing. i leave the hand on the steering wheel and i then press Auto key (animation record) and i start moving the hand from the steering wheel and then when im done, i just select the whole driver (literally CTRL+A) and export it with the following settings (picture included)

i tried what you told me, still same result

and btw the handbrake (object) animation keyframe starts when the driver pulls it. and the codes you gave me, did not work. they only made the animation stay on even when the im steering

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  10. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

Obviously my script uses different file names so you should have changed it :) Your export settings are ok but one thing I noticed, you were exporting the animation from frame 0 and you mentioned that you created the animation from the frame 120?

2 suggestions here:
    - I guess you are working with the driver's animation from Kunos right? I suggest to open the SDK directory and look for a 3Dsmax animation rig, should be somewhere next to the pipeline in multiple MAX formats, don't remember exact location but I guess it is packed in a zip file. Open that MAX file and you will have much better rigged driver animation with more than 200 frames and try to use that one. It is much better, intuitive, there should even be a tutorial somewhere how to use it. Then you can either import the seat and steering wheel mesh from you car into the animation file (meshes which will help you place the animation to correct place) or import the whole rig to your mod. I prefer first option because you have better visibility, better control and in the end you just need to export some nodes.

Then, if you are creating your animation of hands holding the handbrake after the steering animation, obviously you cant export the whole animation and even when you delete the frames, you will break more than fix. In this case, you should just change the start of the animation to frame 101, not even 100, because your animation needs to start away from the wheel as I mentioned. This frame range can be set in 3dsmax in animation control menu, so set the animation range to 101-130 or whatever covers your braking animation and export it like that. It can't start at 0. The same for the lever.

I hope this helps :)

Edit: more info about the rig is here: Custom steering animation rig 1.7 | Kunos Simulazioni - Official Forum (assettocorsa.net)

11. Doriz

Doriz New Member

yes, I'm indeed using Kunos default Driver, and i honestly never thought of the new rig in the folder but no worries, i will try all what you told me and ill reply again if so. thank you sm

ok now i understand you clear, since kunos plays the steering animation from 0 to 120 (default kunos) i should start on 121, let me know if thats correct

Last edited: Feb 14, 2024
  12. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

yes, correct!

13. Doriz

Doriz New Member

Hey man, I honestly gave up on this crap. I tried everything possible and nothing worked, I appreciate your try of help.

14. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

Just curious, what went wrong?

15. Doriz

Doriz New Member

Tried everything, I just gave up.. Nothing worked out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice