QUESTION Rear and Brake Lights too sharp

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by Hydrag, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Hydrag

Hydrag New Member

Hi,

I've got the following problem. I was designing a rear and brake light which is basically taken from the Audi A7. So it's one single dark red glass that covers both the LEDs for the Brakelights and for the Rear Lights. I know in the real car it's more like all lights are switched on when lights are on and when you break they get brighter.

I'm already implementing that with lights.ini header 2 and OFF_COLORs but that's a different story.
    The original problem was that I require a transparent red material as glass cover for the LEDs below.
    I tried different shaders, even copied codes from other cars but it would never work.

Either turning on transparency would not include the true color of the glass, so red turning into white again or it would be transparent for anything below, so you could just see through the whole car. I finally found one, I think it was in the Mustang or so where the red glass.dds is basically a semi-transparent map in Photoshop. When I add this it also appears transparent in the game with another weird issue.

It will only display one additional object?!
    So my lights consist of two objects, one for the light, one for the brake. But when I apply this semi transparent material it will only show one of the two, even in the ksEditor, although they have similar names, are on the same level, have the same texture. KsEditor isn't even supposed to know that those are different lights. Also in game and in the ShowRoom only one will show up and when I zoom under the material the other one is there but it doesn't shine through.

To solve this I went into the ksEditor and set the transparency for active. Now I can see both. And that's where the problem starts. It's way too clear. Like the LEDs inside are really really sharp. And I have no clue how to make them more diffuse. Because I think those settings for the red glass only apply for reflections coming from the outside, like the sun being scattered on the surface but doesn't apply to the inside.

Additionally I don't want to solve this using any mods, so no CSP, no SOL, no Shader Patches, the whole thing should run if you only copy the whole car later into your cars folder.

The current settings I'm using for the rear glass are:

For the glass material itself I have no idea how this is created. It appears transparent red in photoshop but when I try to manually adjust the transparency it doesn't seem to work. So I had to copy it several times, change the opacity and combine it again to make it less transparent or to increase the color more.

2. sammysampr

sammysampr New Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice