QUESTION Best method for creating a track in max?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by LockeNessMotorsports, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

ive used some of the tools before, but is Mario still developing his tools ?

2. r@m

r@m Active Member

3. Pixelchaser

yes, he has always been doing it like that. I plumped for race track builder when I was deliberating over getting his tools. the method you speak of aligning track side with splines is exactly how I am working with lidar terrain and RTB .

4. GT VIRUS

GT VIRUS Member

I use lofting in 3ds max with a heap of different shapes along the Path. I have created shaped with all the cambers and width's I'll ever need, and I use them to create the cambers and changes in track width. So for a typical modern track, You'll go from 1.5% positive at corner entry, 5% positive at the apex, and 1.5% at the exit, Shapes make it all flow smoothly. You can then make changes to the layout easy. So if you want to experiment with a wider entry to encourage overtaking, all I need to do is change the turn in spline and make it wider.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  5. Pixelchaser

hi and welcome :)

ive done a little of that method, what I fucking hate, is that miniscule little cross in 3ds max which you position to adapt a new shape. that's worse to work with than anything anywhere else. never understood that. but I agree the method you speak of is ultimately the best and probably the best over the whole board of programs and construct methods possible.

I wonder if between us we could design something to allow us to also utilise my method of using the side line splines along with the centre line shape approach...? my method captures such good cambers from lidar data which is why I opted for it, but with a centre line commanding it, the outcome would be so much smoother.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  6. GT VIRUS

GT VIRUS Member

I use path steps rather than %, makes life more accurate

7. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie New Member

I just use a single cross-section shape, and then loft it utilising deformations for width and camber (using bezier handles for smoother transitions from one width/camber to anther).

Plus a paper and pencil to note the 'percentage location' for each corner of the track.

Pixelchaser and r@m like this.
  8. r@m

r@m Active Member

After all the methods I've tried, got to agree the cross section approach is the least frustrating when doing "complex" road circuits with crossroads.

I guess it's down to whatever's suitable for the job in hand.

There are some neat MCG tools finally surfacing, although I'm yet to put them through their paces:

MCG Morph To Spline

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/mcg/mcg-morph-to-spline.

...and I'm going to buy this oone over the weekend and see what it can do.

miauu's Spline Deformer

http://miauumaxscript.blogspot.co.uk/p/miauus-spline-deformer.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice