SOLVED Track surface

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by PseT, Aug 23, 2015.

1. PseT

PseT New Member

Hello,
    I tried different solution to improve the surface of a circuit from rFactor2.
    With 3dsmax, I used Tesselate, Meshsmooth, Quadrify etc ...

But the track is always bumpy !!!

What solution do you use?

Pascal

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hi Pascal,

I'm afraid you're not going to like it, but my method is mainly manual. I would love to have something automatic, but nothing worked as expected. It depends a lot of the track I guess, in my case this is what gave the best results [using Blender]:

blend_1.jpg
    Step 0 - so you can see what you are dealing with:
    - into object mode, select solid shading
    - select flat shading as well
    - for material choose something like in screen - this allows to really see the bumps

Step 1:
    - switch to Edit mode
    - select all (A)
    - press W >> remove all doubles (if the track is from rF, it probably is the case)

Step 2:
    - poly selection mode, select the polys that were higher and manually adjust the height until the gap is less visible (using SHIFT it gives higher mouse precision). I know it sound like a tedious job, but it's not that much actually. It doesn't need to be perfectly aligned either, because the next step will take care of the rest.

Step 3:
    - in vertex selection mode, select all the verts, except for the contour ones (screen bellow)
    - press Space >> vertex smooth

blend_2.png

Step 4:
    - switch back to Object mode
    - set the shading back to smooth

Even if you'd still be able to spot small issues, they will be unnoticeable in AC, or just slightly noticeable which will actually give the track some character, and not make it run smooth like a piece of paper.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice