Shaders & params

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by QuadCoreMax, Sep 6, 2015.

1. QuadCoreMax

QuadCoreMax Member

Hey all,

Would be great to gather all information of AC shaders here, so that we have a solid reference for any modder willing to put some effort in applying the best shaders.

Here's a link thanks to luchian for beginners.

I'm curious what others shaders can do, I already deleted some shaders in sdk/system/cfg/shader_filter_list.txt & tried them out.

Above all, on what channels (RGBA) goes what...
    + is there any 'tree shader' which makes texture double sided (normals in opposite direction) ?

--------------
    Racer-Max
    --------------

luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

I somehow missed this thread, but it's actually a good idea ! :)
    Shader settings and how-to-use, is one of the big chunks missing when doing tracks (and cars) for AC.

There is already some information in current forum, in each specific area.
    For example, in Tracks section, if you filter by prefix "Shader" you will find it.

Would you consider it's more useful to do it like this, in a separate thread ? If yes, we can (also) add information in here.

To answer the first question (would be cool to gather those in the OP): no, there is no workaround to this engine limitation - you need to manually double the faces of objects like trees, flags, fences, .. If working in Blender, this might be useful. Other software are probably very similar.

QuadCoreMax likes this.
  3. QuadCoreMax

QuadCoreMax Member

Yes, I would prefer to have a separated thread with all shaders information available here. Above all, have some showcases, making it easier for us all to understand & replicate it. :)

What I'm missing right now is the mixing of 2 textures, most used with kerb borders or road / grass borders. How can we achieve that, like using the sdk\editor\samples\newbury\texture\sand-bord.dds texture ?

4. luchian

Something like this maybe ?

5. QuadCoreMax

QuadCoreMax Member

Yes, the blending of 2 textures.

I thought you would use another shader for mixing 2 objects, instead you've projected another mesh on top of the border with ksPerPixelAT shader & achieved the same result, as you would just using 2 meshes / 2 textures...

In Racer, we have such shader just using 2 textures / 2 meshes.
    Sure, UV mapping needs to be set accordingly...

6. luchian

This is just one method.
    You can also do it the way you suggest (look at ksMultilayer shader). But in that case it means that your road and grass/scenery will be in the same mesh so you cannot separate physics properties. You'll then need to add a specific physics mesh (which btw IS the correct way to do it - it's just more work).

QuadCoreMax likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice