SOLVED Body backwards - Car modding with Blender

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by stefanzink, Feb 4, 2018.

1. stefanzink

stefanzink New Member

Hello, first of all thank you for all the very important tips and tricks I got from this forum.

My problem is:
    I followed the tutorial by @luchian on how to make your first car. The car works, is drivable, but the body and all other parts else than the rims and tires are facing the exact opposite of forward direction. I checked and changed the directions already, in which the axes of the meshes are pointing. But the results stay the same.
    I am using Blender by the way.

I dont know what you might need to help me. But I attached two screenshots of my blender workspace and the in-game car. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for helping me, I´m kinda stuck sadly.
    blender_screenshot.PNG ac_screenshot.PNG

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Can you post a screen with the axis orientation of the wheel dummies ?
    Here is a screen on how to activate it (select object and click show axis)

2018-02-04_234250.jpg

stefanzink likes this.
  3. stefanzink

stefanzink New Member

Here you go.
    showAxis.PNG

luchian likes this.
  4. luchian

Sorry, I meant the two, wheel and body. I definitely had the same problem but trying to remember how to reproduce it in order to have a solution.

IIRC, it might in fact be related to the data files, and not the actual 3d

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    stefanzink likes this.
  5. stefanzink

stefanzink New Member

No problem, i checked every mesh and dummy i have in my project and the dummy empties are all having the z-axis pointing forward, y-axis pointing upwards and x-axis pointing to the left of the car. The meshes however in the dummies are having the axis pointing in different directions. The body meshes are all the same, they have z = up, y = back and x = left.

Those are the wheel and body dummies:
    body_axis.PNG wheel_axis.PNG

And this is one of the meshes in the body dummy:
    actual_body_object_axis.PNG

I also thought about having wrong settings in exporting the fbx-file:
    export_settings.PNG

Do you maybe know which data-files may have information in them that could affect this? Then I could check in those files if there is anything there.

luchian likes this.
  6. luchian

Export settings are OK, except for the scale button, must be unselected.

On that first image, you seem to have a 90deg rotation on body object ?
    For body (and any visual object), that is not important. Having said that, it's not "wrong" so you can leave it.

Orientation is important for the dummies though. And (probably) for collider.

Here are my orientations:

Body has 0 rotations (all applied), my car body is "going" left, when seen from left side in viewport.
    - Notice also the Origin point.
    - Notice axis orientation - but probably yours is also ok.
    body.jpg

And my wheels dummies (in this case SUSP, but they are identical), have 90 on X and 180 on Z. Example for LF

LF_dummy_susp.jpg

You can have a quick look at all the above, in the basic car sample.

stefanzink likes this.
  7. stefanzink

stefanzink New Member

Thank you very much! It worked.

What I did was:

I deleted my old model which was 180 degree turned and opened a new one.
    I then added 5 dummies (SHIFT-A --> Empty --> Plain Axes) to the Blender-Project:
    • SUSP_XX
      • WHEEL_XX
        • RIM_BLUR_XX
        • RIM_XX
        • TYRE_XX
    !Important! --> I made sure that all dummies were turned 90 on X and 180 on Z, just like @luchian said.
    I then repeated this process 3 times for the missing 3 wheels. I did not move them until i had them all done and assigned the right parent for each dummy. After that i selected each SUSP_XX dummy, with CTRL pressed in the Outliner, and moved it to the position where each tyre should be.
    After that i added some meshes (cylinders), scaled them, turned them and added them to the corresponding TYRE_XX dummy as a child. Also I made sure to have the origin point of the dummy at the exact same position as the origin point of the cylinder mesh.

Wheels were done so i proceeded with the body. I positioned the 3D-Cursor of Blender on the origin of the project. After that i added the 3 cube meshes and scaled them. I then positioned them as I wanted but in Edit-Mode to keep the origin from moving with the mesh. I did not rotate them nor added them to any dummy this time.

After I assigned the materials to every mesh and exported it to fbx. And it worked.

(I also changed the GRAPHICS_OFFSET to 0,0,0 in data/car.ini, the body sits a bit high but its centered)

new_start_blender.PNG new_start_ac.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice