SOLVED Using Splines in Blender

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by SpeedyG, Feb 24, 2017.

1. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

I am using the spline method to build a track in Blender. I have made the basic track layout with elevation, but I'm not quite sure what to do next. How much of the track can be built following the spline? I want to add some curbs, run-off areas and barriers but, obviously, I don't want them all to be at the same distance from the track edges. Can someone explain to me what the next stage should be? What should the mesh for the track look like? At the moment mine consists of rectangular segments, 12m wide and 3m long. I don't want to go too far into making it only to realise I've done something wrong. I want to add some scenery to give me a sense of perspective and adjust the track accordingly, but I get the sense that once you've built that far "outwards", adjusting the track is going to be more difficult.

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

takes research basically. you need to find your own workflow, mainly because there is so many ways, youtube has all the tutorials your could ever need. especially for blender. big community. . etc.

pictures say a thousand words if its direct help and critique you want.

, but generally speaking race tracks exist along a corridor in the game world. usually there are barriers and obstructions. out with this may be one style of worklow and general way of going about it, and inside is another. inside is normally the higher rez area whilst the outer area can be formed and created from separate sources, it all depends what your are building. and where it is and every other factor. 12m wide is fine, 3 metre sections seems far to long. but it depends what you are doing, a straight line or shallow curve then its fine, ask your self, does my curves have corners visually. if so then the edge is to long, curves are made of straights, not enough straights and your curve is not going to be a quality curve.

3. SpeedyG

SpeedyG New Member

Okay, thanks for your advice. Think I'm gonna have a look at some tutorials before I go any further and decide how to proceed.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice