SOLVED LODs in Max

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by FuzzyDice, Oct 25, 2017.

1. FuzzyDice

FuzzyDice New Member

I'm looking for the proper way to set up my hierarchy in Max to accommodate multiple LODs. Should I create separate fbx files - one for each LOD? Or, if I can stick all of the LODs into one fbx file, do I attach all of the LODs for each part (geo_body, for example) to the same dummy, or should I set up separate dummies for each LOD? I would think all of the LODs should go in one fbx so that any material changes will take uniformly across all levels.

Any help is appreciated.

Pixelchaser likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

All lods need to be separated. You will have separated kn5 files for every lod.

You will then instruct the game on which one to show and when (depending on the distance to the camera), with the help of lods.ini file, inside DATA folder.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

3. FuzzyDice

FuzzyDice New Member

Luchian:

Thanks. I understand about the structure once I bring the lods into AC. What I meant was: as you're working on the project in Max/Blender, should I keep separate working files for each lod level? Or can they all live together in one Max/fbx file before I export each as separate lods into the ks editor ? Maybe it makes no difference.

I'm just curious about people's workflow. Thanks again.

4. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Oh, I understand :).

Speaking for my self, I am merely starting with cars so cannot say I have a "workflow" defined.
    I prefer "clean" scenes so I only use the main lod as reference to align the lower lod and preseve materials. After that, it's safe to delete. Because, even in same file, different lods will have different meshes.

However, if it fits your style better, I see no harm in keeping all together either. But you'll still need to separate them when exporting to fbx :).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice