Featured TUTORIAL Build your FIRST track - BASIC GUIDE

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by luchian, Jun 14, 2014.

1. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

Well, here is what I have done... I changed Specular from 0.2 to 0.0. Wow, what a difference! All the materials sharpened up nicely. Things like ambulances that were before a bland grayish foggy shape have become nice sharp white vehicles with color trim! I had to raise the Ambient from 0.2 to 0.5 because the Specular reduction darkened the objects just a little too much. And, I sort of figured out the answer to my question, unfortunately, I have to do it to all the materials :-( Oh well, the result that I tried in AC was amazing. The sun was still bright but objects were no longer a bright washed out look.

One more hopeful question, is there by chance a file somewhere that I can replace all the Specular and Ambient numbers wholesale? I would think not. I would think it's all stored in each individual material file.

Once again, thank you both very much for the help. Once I started playing around with those settings, it all opened up for me!

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

:rolleyes:

There is a "batch" option in the SDK, but not sure it can be used for material settings..

Other option would be to maybe use an external editor (like Notepad++) and edit directly the values of you persistence file :).

3. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

Yeah, wasn't sure how to answer the washout question. It was so bright I couldn't tell if it was brightness, contrast or what. These changes I mentioned above have seemed to do the trick. I will definitely look at the persistence file option. Didn't think of that!

Thanks

luchian likes this.
  4. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

Ok, please stop me from busting my head open on a wall... I changed every material and it all went well, I closed both my editors, ate supper, came back and loaded the FBX file into the AC Editor and, NO material changes were shown in the shader??? I tried to force a load of the persistence file in the AC Editor menu and it says, "Persistence load failed. Check if you selected the right node in the treeview." Doesn't it load the persistence file automatically? I checked the ini file and the correct values are there but it wasn't loaded. Help...

***EDIT***
    Ok, I figured out the treeview thing. It wanted me to highlight the topmost file under the "Scene" tab which was the main FBX file. It appeared to load but nothing changed???

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  5. luchian

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas here..
    Maybe some of the guys with even longer hours in SDK can help. @LilSKi @Pixelchaser

But how many materials are in the scene anyway ? :)

6. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

keep trying, this happens to everyone initially.

you say you changed materials and closed the editors. but did you save persistence. ? re do your work, look at persistence file if RTB made one (did RTB make one?) then save it. the study it again man !

if RTB didn't save you one. then goto top bar, select venue. and choose "export to AC".... try this. I personally don't use this, but that's a whole other story.

7. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

There are about 480 materials total.

8. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

I didn't use RTB. These are conversions so I use 3DSimEd3 and the ks Editor. Here is what I did:

1) In ks Editor I changed the Ambient and Specular numbers for all materials. I did it in here because you can't see the changes being made in 3DSimEd3.
    2) When finished, I saved the KN5 file.
    3) I loaded the KN5 file into 3DSimEd3 to make a few changes to the track like adding a few more pit and start locations.
    4) When finished I verified that my material changes were still there and then I saved the FBX file AND the persistence (INI) file from 3DSimEd3.
    5) I closed both editors and I ate supper :-D
    6) I return and load the FBX file (and the ini file?) into the ks Editor and see that my material changes are not there. I check the persistence file and the material changes are shown in the file.

ks Editor just doesn't seem to be loading the persistence file. As I said in the message above, I even forced a manual load of the persistence file in the ks editor but nothing seems to happen?

9. Pixelchaser

i think I would ignore the persistence from 3dsimed, and just deal and maintain the ini the ACeditor makes. its all a bit hap hazard trying to work out what 3dsimed is or isn't doing unfortunately.

480 materials, that seems like a heck of a lot I think.

luchian likes this.
  10. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

Do you mean when I'm in the AC Editor select "Save Persistence"? I tried that and I get a small 4 kb file that is cutoff and only contains about 8 materials although the header says, Material List Count=462??? My original persistence file is about 900kb that gets saved from 3DSimED3 and contains all the materials.

Also, even if it was saving all the materials to the persistence file, how would any changes made in 3DSimEd3 get incorporated into the AC Editor? It seems backwards to me not to use the persistence file from 3DSimEd3. Up until the recent material shader changes, I've only used the AC Editor basically to create the KN5 file but when I have made transparency changes to fences etc. in 3DSimEd3, it has always moved them over to the AC Editor before. It's just not loading those material changes for some reason...

11. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

Follow up:

I modified the first material that is listed in the AC Editor saved persistence file and then selected "Save Persistence" from the top level scene. It still only saved that same short file but the new shader numbers were in there for the first material. I restarted the AC Editor and loaded the FBX file and that one material that I changed was there and changed. So, it loaded the small persistence file it created. Now, why is it only saving 8 materials in the persistence file???

12. dpeters95

dpeters95 Member

I got it, I got it!!!!

I took a look at the material name that was getting cutoff in the AC Editor persistence file. It was a bad name! It looked like this: "Grass Mon1/4 1/4 1/4 &%%1/4 1/4 1/4 %% 1/4 1/4 &% 1/4 &&% 1/4 1/4 1/4 etc......"

I shortened the name to Grass Mon, and resaved the FBX and the persistence file in 3DSimEd3 and then when I loaded the FBX into the AC Editor, the changes were all there!!!! The AC Editor would stop loading the persistence file when it got to the bad filename and it was Material Number 7 so only those materials contained the new shader numbers.

Thanks for the help Pixelchaser! If I hadn't tried saving the persistence file from the AC Editor and noticed the short cutoff file length, I might not have thought to look at the last material more closely! I went back and looked at the material name in the original RF2 track and it's bad in there so it wasn't me that did it ;-D

luchian likes this.
  13. Pixelchaser

well good investigation skills you have, you should do well with that and further learning. any anomalies and the ac editor will say "no"...

14. Pelukas

Pelukas New Member

SIN MEMORIA EN 3dSIMED

OUT OF MEMORY ESCEPTION

waths??

15. Pelukas

Pelukas New Member

estoy dedicando mucho tiempo ,pero no logro poder ver la pista .
    ejemplo

Attached Files:

16. luchian

This is very simple (do a search on the forum). A mesh cannot have more than 65k verts, or AC will not know to process it.

Solution is to brake the mesh in smaller chunks in your 3d software (you CAN'T do this in ksEditor).

..sent from my phone.

17. Pelukas

Pelukas New Member

Como lo hago OCULTA, OBJETO
    3dsmedy KN5 guardo? Pero ? hide /ocultar ,si no como elimino un triangulo ? .
    se refiere una cola es muy grande la Foto de google?
    perdon y mil gracias despues de Que dedico horas y no lo CONSIGO Aún Así estoy Dispuesto a lose RBT 55E ,por que esto me encanta ,
    perdon por el español es dificil entendernos todo un Arte !!
    MIL Gracias por su Ayuda me es de mucho agrado ,no hay nada en mi idioma el unico foro que sale en google es este y la verdad muy profesional!.
    un saludo.
    os voy Contando!:)

18. luchian

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you need. Maybe try google translate ? :nerd:
    If you wish to hide an object, you can do that in ksEditor - set the object as "renderable" or not.

19. Pelukas

Pelukas New Member

Hello sorry for my language
    What I understand you tell me is, that I have many polygons in the photo of google?
    Hidden them with 3dsimed but nothing, and gone removing objects but nothing.
    I would hate to start from "0"
    Someone else who does not find more than 65K to split the track? If it is very small ?.

20. luchian

Yes, in your photo above that is what the error says also (and it is true for Assetto Corsa, it cannot handle more in a single mesh)

Hiding them does not help - they need to be deleted or splited.

If it's very small (in number of poligons not actual size), then it's ok.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice