QUESTION Using LIDAR Data directly into Assetto Corsa

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by CpPolar268, Jun 11, 2021.

1. CpPolar268

CpPolar268 New Member

I am working with LIDAR data for the first time to create tracks for AC but I am having a hard time dealing with the large amount of points of data LIDAR data has. I try to create a mesh from the data in CloudCompare but it leads to having thousands to millions of vertices to deal with which leads to having to split up the mesh into multiple segments in order to import it into ksEditor. I have read through the threads about this topic but haven't really found anything that pertains to the questions I still have.

My questions:
    - In CloudCompare or Blender, is there a way to reduce the vertex count via removing similar adjacent points? (For example, 5 points next to each other have the same z-value so the program feature i'm looking for would remove 4 of the points and keep the 1 point in the center of them)

- In CloudCompare or Blender, is there a faster way to split the mesh into different segments/objects (other than manually selecting vertices) to where each segment/object has x number of vertices/edges/faces?

- Is there anything better than CloudCompare or Blender to generate mesh from LIDAR data that doesn't have as many vertices?

2. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

You shouldnt be using the lidar mesh directly in kseditor. Its really only useful to build on top of.

For a better understanding of the Cloud Compare - Blender process, I suggest you watch LilSKi videos.

Track Building: Episode 1 - YouTube

: LIDAR
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice