SOLVED Downscale Track in Blender to 0.01 is awfully BAD Idea!

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Rob Pawn, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Rob Pawn

Rob Pawn Member

I started building my track in actual game size (0.01) to do not pay attention to set up downscale value every time i export the project. It turned out that this was not the best idea in coherence to vertex location stability.
    This means basically, having randomly movin vertexes in the coordinate system which causes tiny spaces between planes like road and grass mesh. (which looks terrible in game)

Now, actually i wanna upscale the whole project to IRL units with the hope the vertices stay in position.

My question aims to the Z axis. What happens on downscaling by 100?
    For example, Ocean level is set to Zero of course.
    upload_2024-2-19_16-53-57.png

Lets say lowest track point would be around -20 meter and highest around 400 meter...

I guess it will move higher or lower after scaling?! How can i prevent this?
    Where should i place the origins of objects/planes?!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  2. Rob Pawn

Rob Pawn Member

ouch this gives me headache...

i scaled up the track by 100 in blender. Ocean plane sits now on Z -682 m.
    should i let it stay there, to have it back on ZERO when i export the track with a scale of 0,01?
    Would this work?

My main trouble is havin SinglePlayer Traffic already. Having a couple of animations like windmills. etc.

Now i experience another issue in Blender View Port.
    My View get stuck at some points.
    I think iam to far away from Worldorigin 0,0,0?
    e.g. X= -10k Y= 40k meters. while holding shift and pressing middle mousebutton, i just can not move the view! Numpad 7 View still works, tho.

Around Worldorigin i can move most of time in a specific zoom for a couple of 100 meters, but then it get stuck again and i cant move the view...

Anyone havin experience with this?

3. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

change this
    upload_2024-2-20_13-57-53.png

Not sure about this, but beware that you might have to export with scale 0.01 to have correct dimensions in ksEditor ... edit: ah your reason why you did this in the first place :lol:

4. Rob Pawn

Rob Pawn Member

alright, guys, if ya run into same problem. DONT upscale the track by selecting all objects and scale it up with [Bounding Box Center] in Blender. This will make everything offset. Maybe best way to do it, would be exporting the project to a fbx file while using scale 100. Then import it into blender and it should be fine when exporting for ksEditor with 0.01 again. I will test this after upscale and apply scale for all objects - then see if traffic and animations will fit and let you know. No need to be worried about Origins/Pivots.

Thanks for let me think about it twice. The render distance i actually had on 100k.
    Some where i read about Focal lenght, but its actually the clipping value which locks the view.
    Cause of workin on a divided by 100 scale i had to use Clip Start 0.0001 m. Now with 0.1 it works fine.

5. Rob Pawn

Rob Pawn Member

EDIT: I cannot delete the Thread i think. Just forget about it. If you use 1:1 or 100:1 scale does not matter. The further away iam from 0|0|0 (World Origin) the more unprecise the verts get positioned in edit mode. dang...

OK lets summarize.

WORST DECISION EVER to downscale a Track in Blender to do NOT downscale it while exporting:

vertices.png
    (As example 2 Guardrails where Vertex does not snap to the exact position of Vertex from the other Object)

This also causes randome moving vertices depending on which angle you look on them.
    Imagine 1 meter equals 1cm --> 1 cm equals 1mm // and when you wanna make it 1mm precise,
    then you will run into trouble... Having Spaces between planes etc.
    I dunno why blender is that terrible in the micro millimeter range and below. SO NEVER DO THIS!

To repair this mess, we need to upscale the Track by selecting every object and scale it by 100
    using the 3D Cursor sitting on World Origins Position (0,0,0).
    This also ensures to do not move objects along the Z-Axis!
    upload_2024-2-20_16-39-58.png
    (Export to fbx file by multiply it with 100 will work but we would loose all Collection Folders!)

Then care about right scaling for Objects and Dummies/Empties/Spawncubes...

Pay attention for Clip Start and End if there is any trouble with the Viewport.

EDIT: I cannot delete the Thread i think. Just forget about it. If you use 1:1 or 100:1 scale does not matter. The further away iam from 0|0|0 (World Origin) the more unprecise the verts get positioned in edit mode. dang...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024 at 11:28 PM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice