QUESTION Sound modding samples

Discussion in 'Sounds' started by Fuzo, May 24, 2018.

1. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

Guys I am trying to start with sound modding, I've watched Fonseckers video tutorial, read a lot of forums, but there are still some questions I would need to answer. Mostly I am not sure how the fMod auto pitch works. What should be the optimal length of one sample to auto pitch work correctly for engine with max RPM at 7000? Does the auto pitch depend on the length of the sample? How many samples would be optimal for good internal engine sound? Should I use "min pitch" button to correct the pitch of samples? Are there any "golden rules" with creating samples from Youtube videos? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Just Kauser

Just Kauser Active Member

Chemnitz, Saxony, Germany, next to the Sachsenring
    Hello Welcome to AC Sound Modding. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge, errors are not excluded. The optimal length is 7-9 sec for a loop, pitch independent. Too short, when listening to too monotonous, too long makes in my Fmod version click sound. Do not touch min pitch for engine samples, it does not make any sense, it only changes the function which pitch is assigned to the sample at what rpm. With Autopitch the Pitch is 0 at 0 rpm and 1 at the autopitch value, a linear function like "pitch= k1*rpm". Autopitch should be set to the rpm of recording. The number of your samples does not matter, in part I've run 4 samples paralellel in one Rpm range, but they have to blend smoothly into each other.
    Youtube Videos: Do not expect too much, I've written a program with which I rip loops from Youtube videos, but the quality is bad and with klick noises. I think Fonsecker's method is the only one that works at the moment. Maybe my results will improve with a new Unity update or another sound card, because half a year ago I did not have the problems.

Have fun, Best Regards!

Fuzo and luchian like this.
  3. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

Thank You very much Just for valuable info, I managed to find a way to grab decent samples from video with Fonsecker's method, but now I am struggling with another issues. How should be those samples placed in fMod? Let's say I have 5000 RPM sample 4s long, should it start on 5000 RPM value in fMod or end on it or be in the middle (with autopitch on 5000)? Or I just should try to blend it with other samples by ear? I think that I almost managed to find out how to do load part of the engine, but I am lost in coast part. I am watching that Fonsecker's video on Youtube and trying to find any leads but he is too quick in some parts and I have no idea why he is doing what he is doing. Could someone explain me or give me some leads how to do coast part? And what about load and coast throttle curve? Should I mess with it or keep it like it was? I am using tattusfa1 copy to create my project.

4. Just Kauser

Is your sample a loop? So there are no hard cuts when playing dues as a loop? Or is Rpm different in the beginning than in the end? Unfortunately, I have to go now and I'll be able to answer you again in detail on Sunday, I just flew over your answer and did not understand the first question correctly.

5. Fuzo

Fuzo Member

Yes, my samples are loops with one pitch, no cuts. I just want to know if there are some common rules how to place samples on the RPM timeline according to theirs pitch/rpm value. If I have 5000 RPM sample should it start on 5000 or end on 5000 or be in the middle? Sunday is good for me, I am not in a hurry, thank You in advance for all the help.

6. Just Kauser

The samples are designed to pull them over a certain RPM bandwidth, and the center should be about the same as the RPM at which they were recorded. Sometimes it is even better to have fewer samples than many where the transitions are too rough. If you give then in neutral gas it sounds very unnatural. In part, I also take samples that sound particularly good and fade them in extremely long, e.g. about two other samples over it, but that's a matter of taste. For example, from 3000 to 5000 even if I still have a sample of 3k to 4k and one of 3.5 to 4.5k.
    Do it for feeling, not for alghorism to get good results.

Coast: If you can not find any good samples for it, you can also try to use equalizer to reduce the middle and the bass. And maybe try something like a transmission sound to lay it over.

coast throttle curve:
    Take the one that exists and change the two curves depending on the Throttle until a smooth transition is created. I usually do that in such a way that I completely hide neither power nor coast at any point, if you listen carefully you can always hear one or the other.

7. McDev

McDev New Member

I sneak in here. My idea of making engine sounds was to record sounds in a real car at each 1000 or maybe 2000 RPM. As it is self recorded it should be clean and you could cut it so that each sound file matches each other, so starts and ends with the same waves basically. Then I wanted to fade between them so that at 4600 RPM you hear 40% of 4000 and 60% of the 5000 rpm sound. Maybe I need to edit the curves so that it actually sounds linear. But everyhting without any pitching, just maybe at the low and top ends.

I never worked with FMod for AC but that was my idea. What do you think, will that work?

8. Just Kauser

No, sorry, first, when you record a constant rpm you get just the sound of 10% throttle, i did it and the results are not that impressive, but ok, then you need pitching that is like every engine sound engine works. To get clean records you need good equipment and experience, too.

9. McDev

McDev New Member

You are right about the throttle and sound. My Idea was to record idle for idle sounds only and another round with accelleration and I would only cut out a small peace near the RPM. I have seen a video and it wasn't that bad. At least my car sounds constant if you hold the gas constant and the accelleration sound will come due to pitch changes, but they come by blending two sounds not by artificially adding pitch.

In that time I had to shift two times. How will you do an accelleration sound of that length?
    Don't you need a short loop, because when you accellerate the sound is higher at the end and does not loop properly. Unless it will be corrected.

Regarding gear I planned to lend equipment. I will talk to the store before I do in case there is an issue, and with "clean" I meant at least anything better than youtube with random other kind of noise.

I guess I just have to try it out somehow, I will make a test first with sounds I can find online.

And sorry but, are there any gear change sounds? I am using auto blip and it sounded awfull and like an instant shift. Anyway I wonder if that is even possible to fit in gear change on various RPM.

10. Just Kauser

When the loop is to short it sound unrealistic and anoying at ~constant rpms at high speeds.

Here is a example how Fmod works:

Of course there is a gear change sound and you can change it in you Fmod Project.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice