Wannabe track builder new to the group

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Les Neilson, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Les Neilson

Les Neilson Active Member

Hi there,

I've been a simmer since I got my first computer at the beginning of the eighties. Flight sims, space games, but most of all racing sims are my particular interest. Since Race Track Builder came out I've been slowly learning the art of track creation. I have a few projects going, and I'm struggling with a few things, namely Blender in general, UV mapping in particular. I'll be happy to share my experience with anyone doing the same type of thing.

Cheers,
    Les

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Cheers Les , welcome to the forums.
    So you confirm this simracing microb never leaves one alone :D.

Looking forward to seeing some of the works you've got going. Feel free to start even WIP thread(s). They can be both for showing what's cooking and asking help when in doubt.

For UV.. it's rather normal. Even the experienced artists (like Patrik Marek if you are familiar with) struggle, depending on the project. I'm sure some of the guys around would share the same pains (myself included).

3. Les Neilson

Les Neilson Active Member

Thanks for the welcome! As for WIP threads, I think that might be useful... I spend a lot of time tinkering on lots of bits rather than focusing on getting one thing right. Some opinions would be helpful :)

4. liquido

liquido Active Member

Wellcome mate.

I start to create tracks with BTB, now I'm learning Blender... like you, for me, the UV is a nigthmare.

I have done changes in the UV so many times, I had watched a lot of tutorials and now I'm trying to learn how to use the seams of the UV in the proper way.

If you don't use seams to mark where the object is going to split in diferent planes, when you do the unwarp the UV use to be a complete mess, but if you place the seams in the correct place, you will keep the relation of aspect and a proper group of UV to apply to your texture.

It depends in the object that you are working on, but unwarp with follow the active quad is very usefull to make UV of road and road side, also pipes and similar geometric forms.

unwarp from top view is also very usefull to dress terrain with satellite images.

luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice