Tyre Models

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by Ricardo Rey, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Ricardo Rey

Ricardo Rey Active Member

Greeting!

Please bare with me as I am new to AC and hopefully this is the right section to ask my question (I will only use the "New" excuse a few more times).

I noticed that there are tyre versions in AC. Never noticed this in other sims.

I downloaded a few mods to see how they are done, and both have tyre versions 5 & 7 respectively. These have no tyre sounds when ingame. Is this due to the tyre model or some other factor? Can tyre model version's be upgraded by myself, or does the original modder need to do it? Am I way off base? :)

Cheers!

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hahaha, ok just 3 more "new" cards left, and then you're grounded ! :D

Tyre version refers to different iterations of the tyre physics in AC. This is linked to the core physics engine so it comes directly from the devs. Current version is v10. Any modded car with an older version might still work in-game, but could(will) show a different/unexpected/"unrealistic" behavior.

Lack of sound, generally speaking, also points to an older mod, that wasn't updated to latest changes in the audio engine of AC. Although, afaik, that dates quite a bit already.

The lack of tyre sounds in-game though.. not sure why you have that. What track are you using ? Original from Kunos ? Or modded ? Asking because tyre sound is linked to the type of surface you are on (road or dirt, will sound different, for example).

3. Ricardo Rey

One instance is the 1988 McLaren MP4 12c by MAK-CORP. The tyre version is 6. I tried it on various tracks including KUNOS tracks...no tire noise. It has good grip so I pushed hard in the corners, slammed on brakes, tried to burn out etc.

4. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

sounds like another mod that didn't have any "after the fact" care. it certainly is negative aspect of a constantly evolving product. damn, I think id have given up on ac a long time ago if It wasn't in such good hands with its constant evolution. but it is a lot to ask for the modders. but that's the distinction between the good and bad mods in this circus. dedication. if they were not updated in at least the last 6 months, that might be a good indicator of what to try and not etc.

5. luchian

True. With a tyre v6, it sounds like an old one. FMOD (the audio engine of AC) was updated since then. Usually what happened, just about every update to the FMOD would mess car sounds. And the author would need to update it. But after a few times of that, some modders didn't keep up :).

It's not only the author that can fix this. In theory, anybody could, for a modded car. In practice though, using FMOD requires some knowledge. Which I also don't have so I can't be of much help in this direction.

6. Ricardo Rey

OK. Thanks very much. It's no problem. In any case problems are an opportunity to learn...and I learned something.

When I start a new sim (i.e. AC), I don't worry about mods until I have tweaked the factory dev cars and tracks, wheel & pedals, etc. for my base settings. Once fixed, I rarely change anything to accommodate a mod. I'm still in the setup phase.

Many thanks!

P.S. My curiosity has me wanting to figure out FMOD

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  7. luchian

He he, go ahead :). It's free and I think it's version 1.05.14 that you need to use.

8. Ricardo Rey

I downloaded all the tools for FMOD. But I need to get my "feet back on the ground". Getting way too ahead of myself. For now I'm just gonna stick with learning as much as I can about basic-stock AC. Only then maybe learn to build some scratch stuff. A then B then C then D. Not D, U, M, B.

9. luchian

: )). Sounds like a good plan.

Anyhoo, AC sound guy said you can use 1.08.xx too. He didn't try the latest one.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice