QUESTION Trouble with interior AO/alpha

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by WalkerAW11, Apr 10, 2022.

1. WalkerAW11

WalkerAW11 New Member

I've been struggling to get the AO for my seat to show the underlying txDetail in kseditor, using ksPerPixelMultiMap_NMDetail I have it side by side with a kunos car as a comparison and all the values and textures are the same except my diffuse and map, however when I load my AO map into the ksDiffuse it doesn't show the txDetail or the txNormalDetail underneath.

I've tried exporting my AO map as DXT5, DXT1, 8.8 AL, all with and without alpha channels and none of them work, I must be missing something in the export because if I load the kunos ao into mine then it shows. I've attached a picture because my explaining is not so good. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Attached Files:

2. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

you gotta be strong now:

overlay ao over diffuse in image editor (multiply)

there is no ao texture slot for any shader

3. WalkerAW11

WalkerAW11 New Member

Right that makes sense, but looking at what kunos did for their seat they just put the interior ao into the diffuse, then coloured the seat with the txDetail. It's just that my texture doesn't seem to let that detail through, like I'm missing an alpha or something even though I've tried a lot of different ways exporting it, thanks for the help

4. WalkerAW11

WalkerAW11 New Member

OK I think I figured it out, in case anyone else finds this with the same problem, I was missing an alpha layer in the diffuse which must have stopped the detail from showing through. Still not sure if this is the right way to do it but my seat has AO and colour so good enough!

5. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

Nice you found out :) . I should be sure before saying something.

6. Anewbieuser

Anewbieuser New Member

Hi I am so glad to run into this post, I am running into the same problem but yet to have figured it out. I am new to modding and texturing. I got the AO map generated from 3DS max do you mind to explain the steps required or link to a video that shows what have to be done to add the Alpha to the map appropriately? Thank you in advance!

7. Anewbieuser

Anewbieuser New Member

Ok I think I got it it needs an all black alpha has to be added and images saved as A8R8B8G8.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice