SOLVED Track Optimization High fram rate

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Ropolo, May 11, 2016.

1. Ropolo

Ropolo New Member

Hello,

I am working in modeling a Track by using diferent tools (3dsim, 3dsmax, Race Track Builder, etc), so I hope someone can help me with thise issue:
    1. I imported a track from F12015 using 3dsim, then comparing it to my work. I am amazed by the detail as size of elements from F12015 tracks, so if I play F12015 tracks they run with hi frame rate with no issues. On the other hand when I do tests in AC with basic my basic track, as I increase elements frame rate drops.
    I also do the same with AC tracks, I import them via 3dsim then export them as FBX in order to compare them vs F12015, for this I import both tracks in 3dsmax so I see lot of detail as larger objects in F12015.
    Is F12015 display engine much more efficient compared to AC?
    2. Any suggestions to decrease face count in 3dsmax with modifiers, quality/performance balance?

I am posting a pic, left F12015 R AC

Attached Files:

• f1ac.jpg
      f1ac.jpg
      File size:
      415.7 KB
      Views:
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Ropolo , welcome. Sorry for the late reply.

Introduction:
    Most of the games have their own graphical engines. Which almost all the time come with some pros and some cons. Also, do bear in mind that A LOT of work goes into such an engine; so they all have some tricks (common methods or individual) in order to improve performance. Therefore, the simple conversion from one engine to another might not always give the same results.

On topic:
    As far as Assetto Corsa goes, there are some tricks you could do in order to improve performance. Some are common knowledge, some are AC specific but ALL will work and give results.

To the point, here are some ideas:
    - keep the number of textures low (better to have texture atlases of bigger size, than to have more smaller individual sizes)
    - keep the number of materials fairly low. As a general reference (official info from the devs), a track should be ok with around 50-60 materials (all official tracks are in this zone). See this thread as well, it may help.
    - use the grouping feature; especially for trees and vegetation. It helps a lot with the performance. See this for more info. Grouping helps both with normals and performance for trees. Also, if you can group other objects, do that.
    - use of LOD's. For some objects, you can use LOD's. Meaning that the high-detail version of that object is only displayed when very close to it; otherwise a low-poly version is used. Pay attention it also needs a LOD management with one of the ini files.
    - use a separate mesh for physical road (especially if it's high poly). The reason it's simple: the physical mesh can be hidden (so no graphical memory used), while the textured road will be loaded/rendered by the video card (so more Draw Calls > less FPS).

Hope it helps.

Willy Wale likes this.
  3. Ropolo

Ropolo New Member

Hi @luchian

First issue is to thank you for your quick as explanatory response.

Just doing per your recomendation and everything doing well now.

Know one new issue, fast lane AI. My problem is that when I hit the recording button it blinks red, seems to not register nothing at all. Can't even stop recording, it will stay blinking even if I close the window and restart the whole race.

Once again, THANK YOU.:):):)

4. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hmm, I've never had any issues with it, but it's also true that I didn't try it in recent updates.
    Have you tried completing a full lap first ? Sometimes it looks like it's not working but it actually records the AI lane.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice