QUESTION Track Optimisations, Documentation, Instancing & Lod naming convention/setup.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by GreyDesigns, Apr 27, 2020.

1. GreyDesigns

GreyDesigns New Member

Hello guys,

I have just started on my first track for AC and love all the info you guys have on here - so helpful!

I'm really hoping someone can help me or point me in the direction of some tutorials or documentation, mostly I want to know about instancing meshes, setting up lods and culling of assets on tracks, so I can get the most out of the budgets and really push the assets.

I currently have my whole track exporting as a single FBX, But I really want to split that up so that I can have things like tyre walls, buildings, and all the props controlled properly as you move around the track. Ideally instances would be scattered as dummies or something inside of 3dsmax too, as I dont want to do any of the actually object placement in KsEditor if it can be avoided.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks so much! :)

2. GreyDesigns

GreyDesigns New Member

Well I have made some progress towards understanding this after heading to www.assettocorsa.net.

Summery for anyone using the search bar - Basic Track Asset Lods
    Subobjects inside one fbx export can be lod'ed independently, so no need to split out fbx meshes - they are set under the object tab, via the Lod In and Lod Out parameters , and saved in the persistence .INI (so could be edited outside of KS Editor.)

It works on a radius around the mesh rather than a bounding box seemingly, and is in metric - so you will need to make sure the radius of each of your lods is the same if you want the in / out distances to be consistent.

Moving on from that then, is there anyway natively of enabling dithering on the Lods? - I saw someone mention it in their youtube video, would be great to have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice