RELEASED-wip Cesana Sestriere Historic Hillclimb

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Kibbutz, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

Hello everyone, I'm finally publishing something after all this time.
    This is a very early release, I have lots to do and will keep working as hard as I can.
    The track is an historical uphill race near Torino linking Cesana to Sestriere, home of the winter olympic games back in 2006, a very fast unforgiving 10km road. Hope you'll enjoy it like I do, both in real life and in Assetto Corsa.

** Please don't share it outside this forum or RaceDepartment, and always point here when asked about the track! **

Download Beta 0.6
    https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/cesana-sestriere-historic-hillclimb.22532/

Changelog 0.6
    Finished all planned buildings, with a couple of extras in middle of the map
    Reworked side terrain
    Added 3d grass in 2 version. I couldn't be satisfied with lightning, and I made files for sun and for cloudy weather. default one is sun, to switch them just rename the (dark) ones.
    Moved pitboxes, since the initial idea was doing all the starting town but it's a bit more complicated than it sounded at first.
    Reduced pitboxes to 8.
    Road is a double mesh now, physical and visual, with the physical one quite rough right now.
    Added some spectators here and there.
    Reworked replay cameras

Changelog 0.2
    performance issues should be solved, I can finally focus on trees and closing the track with the missing buildings and stuff
    added camera.ini and a new AI has been done

Changelog 0.15
    solved filesize problems
    solved most of duplicated textures problem

Changelog 0.1
    main terrain is done and textured (for the time being)
    trees are placed in correct spot
    road signals done
    main road texturing is done
    buildings are 70% of the total, textured by materials and not yet baked
    working AI for slow cars (150-160 km/h max)
    10 pit boxes
    DIP is in 600-1500 range, Batch Size is in 2500-5000 range

To-do list
    trees textures and shaders absolutely, started working on them
    baking buildings textures with AO map if I can finally make it work
    performance. Have to rework entirely the terrain, hence I decided to make a "final" version with this one before focusing on that part.

Screenshots and video
    Screenshot_fiat_131_abarth_cesanasestriere_3-11-118-17-36-41.jpg

Screenshot_fiat_131_abarth_cesanasestriere_3-11-118-17-37-56.jpg

Screenshot_fiat_131_abarth_cesanasestriere_3-11-118-17-33-13.jpg

Screenshot_fiat_131_abarth_cesanasestriere_3-11-118-17-42-43.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Just Kauser, MLT, paul_wev and 3 others like this.
  2. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

Update:
    Added 3d grass, all invisible walls, all trees as they are in reality, some kerbs (still a try, I don't know if I want them in the final layout), all the white lines, road transition, terrain textures, 3d grass, and the real life details like traffic lights, lamps, post etc.
    AI is great for 1 vs 1, but if I add like 10 cars or kart they're crashing after the start since there's a narrow passage. Already widened the street there, will see if it solved the problem in the next test version. Surprisingly 10 audi rs8 are behaving better than 10 karts.
    I closed the project and I need to do only the buildings now, but my friend should help me on this one, and I already started working on the uphill road.
    New screenshots, but they're not latest version, since doing a kn5 takes so long because of the really bad own xpack wich I have to redo. Just missing the sideroad transition and terrain textures, and streetlights in these ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 2 weeks I think I'll have the first beta with my buildings.

3. MLT

MLT Active Member

This looks pretty nice. Keep up the great work.
    Damn you guys really are fast at modelling and texturing ( you and Willy Wale ). Fiorano doesn't have that many buildings and I still haven't textured all of them. :eek:

Anyway, hope to try out the beta soon :D

Kibbutz likes this.
  4. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

A little update after a while.
    The uphill road is ready, but it will probably come with no buildings for a while, since I'm so slow in modelling, I'll just close the sides with wall and trees and that will be it for the time being.
    I'm mostly done doing the alpha version of the town, since my designer friend is taking quite some time to deliver the first row buildings. But they truly are wonderful (probably too detailed, I'll start testing soon and see how it goes).
    Here's a screenshot with most of the buildings done, I'm missing only 3 blocks and I'll have an alpha. I know they sucks but I'll move them to the backround once I have the detailed ones. I'm working on Sketchup since it's really fast and they work as they should at first go in the editor.

[​IMG]

Changed a bit my plans since it was an hell of an idea to start as a noob with a town project, I'm getting all the material I can to replicate the historic Cesana - Sestriere uphill, a really fast prototype racing street. You can get some good camera car in youtube if you wanna know what I'm talking about (and most importantly, I won't have to do more than 10 buildings overall!!)

luchian likes this.
  5. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

new update, and a first beta version coming soon! I'm testing various kn5 to get the right ones, than I'll finally upload the 0.1. If you wanna explore it a bit I did a youtube video for you and some friends (I'm driving with keyboards and testing, not racing don't judge me). Race-hotlap everything's working great!
    From what I've read my DIP value it's in the correct range for a first version, never going over 2000. In the next updates I'll take care of trees (reducing variety, and correctly naming them for the editor), and I'll change the fences textures wich are kind of terrible.

Les Neilson, luchian and Johnr777 like this.
  6. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

a (not so) little update, took me a long time to do this. I found a good workflow to do the buildings while keeping a good quality, they run smooth during test and won't affect performance, I'd say they are actually "lighter" than my first cube sketchup buildings. I'm succesfully working on roads too, leaving me only sidewalks and walls to work on.
    This screens are taken from race track and the lightning is a bit fucked up, cause I adjust it later on ksEditor (already done with good results)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a little extra, the other track I'm working on is coming out really well, I just need to figure out how to add multiple kn5 to a single layout, hope I'll find a good tutorial about it, since I've single placed now 2400 trees.

[​IMG]

Les Neilson, paul_wev and luchian like this.
  7. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Good progress !

There is a tutorial for layouts here, in Tracks section. Try filtering by prefix.

- on Tapatalk

Kibbutz likes this.
  8. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

so I just need to define them as i would with another layout? Finally an easy part in track building, thank you luchian :D

9. Willy Wale

Willy Wale Member

Looks great. And love the stormtrooper

Kibbutz likes this.
  10. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

thanks, to get a hold of UV maps and textures I did a track full of that stuff, I tried porting an entire Death Star shooting the laser but I was wasting way too much time and just left that out :D

11. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

The way you placed the trees to cover the hills and surroundings is extremely inefficient...

I'm also new at this and just started the surrounding vegetation for my project, but I looked at LilSKi's Bridgehampton first... Its like a bible for track making, its no fluke its one of the top downloads at RD.

Anyways, the technique to learn here, regardless of software used, is to make "treewalls" that criss-cross one another, looking from below, it will give the illusion of a dense forest... but its a very low poly system and can cover massive areas.

shot24.jpg
    shot25.jpg

Kibbutz and luchian like this.
  12. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

wow, that is impressive, I'll change them like that for sure! I was referring to mount akina to give a nearfield sense of forrest, but i was lacking impact at a distant view. This hopefully will solve that. But not my lack of tree wall textures, that I still have to do from scratch.

13. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

luchian likes this.
  14. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

now for the real update:
    guardrails are done and working great, I think they're too heavy on resources but I'll stick with them for the time being.
    Level design is done and definitive for the first version of the track, road and terrain won't be changed anymore.
    All road signal are done, aswell as a new house pack as you can see in the screenshot. It's really coming on, I can't believe it!

[​IMG]

15. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

it's been nearly a month, and here I come with a new update.
    I had to rebuild a mountain wich was 5-10 meters lower and was messing up a part of the track, it took a lot of time but I gained lot of skills in doing it, and now I have to polish the rest of the track to make it look good like that little section.. I had to do it anyway but it will come sooner than expected. I'm "training" in surfaces cliffs aswell, as I'll add 2 or 3 of them in the near future, following this tutorial

my friend is working hard and now we have a mostly complete start and finish houses, and right now he's focusing on the midtrack village. Here's a couple screenshots, I was beating the track record without the village, while I'm way more cautios now!

[​IMG]

and this is the very end

[​IMG]

if anyone's interested, I'm starting to give the track away for testing, you just need to pm me and I have a freshly made alpha build ready, not yet optimized but since you have lot of experiences I think you could help me a lot seeing mistakes I'm too blind to see. If you do, be careful since there's a jump in the middle of the track wich you can do at max speed 130km/h :D

16. luchian

Looking very nice. A true work-and-learn project !

Kibbutz likes this.
  17. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

did a quick video too while testing the AI, this way you can see the full track

18. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

new update, working on the mid track village.
    Modelling is done, now just need to texture everything.
    Road signals are grouped and lighter, will finally publish an alpha right after the setting up the textures since performances didn't change after this new village update.
    Here's some screen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. luchian

Quite some detail modeled into the buildings. With good texturing, will look great !

- on Tapatalk

Kibbutz likes this.
  20. Kibbutz

Kibbutz Member

thank you luchian, this is a preview of the end result :)

[​IMG]

edit: new picture finished texturing :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice