1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W.I.P. Torino - Corso Picco

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Kibbutz, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Kibbutz

Kibbutz New Member

Hello everyone, this is basically my first post here.
    I started this project as I always thought this town (Torino, Italy, actually mine) was built as a huge race track for the Agnelli family and the Fiat, I know it's stupid but even the highways around here are stupidly fun to drive.
    This is a particular part of town in wich I lived and went to highschool some times ago, the first layout I'm working on is kind of a racetrack, the second will be the uphill.
    I'm working mostly on Race Track Builder since it's more user friendly, I have 3ds max and Sketchup 2018 but I'm a total noob, and I'm just taking my first steps into them. Oh, and of course 3dsimed.
    Right now I did the track and the landscape as intended, placed walls and sideways mostly as they should be, and placed not-owned buildings for reference, I'm polishing but it's mostly all done, and this took me 2 weeks. I'll post some screenshots at the end of the post.
    Next step is doing my own buildings. As a kid seeing a videogame for the first time, I'm fashinated how easy it is to build 'em on sketchup. But I need to be careful since I need to do 30/40 houses, and I want to keep it as light as I can (not as possible). And all the advantage to take textures from google maps is gone in the last version. A friend of mine who I can ask for help (industrial designer) did one for me on Rhino and it's a masterpiece, truly, but way too much over the standard. He's learning to model low poly now and will do the 5/6 most characteristic building cause of work but it will be a huge help.
    What I'm having huge problems with is buildings textures. I can't understand if I should convert them all to .dds with 3dsimed and most importantly when, or if the ks editor can read them, because sometimes it do. And when I convert them with the batch, it's ok to delete the original jpg, right? Thanks to my friend I started the project with Autodesk Infrawork, but it was so inaccurate I could save only those 5/6 buildings that were autogenerated. But there's no way the kseditor will apply their texture on them, for no absolute reason (to me). Since I modded a lot of videogames I started by studying both kunos and modders houses and it is a huge help, but I've never meddled with them a lot and it's taking some time. I love how Lucca Ring is designed and I'll follow a similar approach but right now I'm still missing.. well, you get it, the basics. Last question about it is about texture source, should i crop them from google maps with a third party app and save them as png? It seems like the best way to me..
    Finally, this is what I'm talking about. Testing it with a keyboard and a kart I think the layout is really fun, as do the friends who tried it these last days.

The Layout

[​IMG]

The Highschool entrance

[​IMG]

A chicane in the straight (temporary texture for the "obstacles", they're way more detailed)

[​IMG]

I've seen a lot of accidents in this turn

[​IMG]

That's all! I'm planning to do a second track running uphill from this one , since I'm having a lot of fun in doing level design and will have lot less buildings then this one.
    I can post a lap if you want to see the driven layout.
    Thank you for reading this

Just Kauser, MLT, paul_wev and 3 others like this.
  2. Kibbutz

Kibbutz New Member

Update:
    Added 3d grass, all invisible walls, all trees as they are in reality, some kerbs (still a try, I don't know if I want them in the final layout), all the white lines, road transition, terrain textures, 3d grass, and the real life details like traffic lights, lamps, post etc.
    AI is great for 1 vs 1, but if I add like 10 cars or kart they're crashing after the start since there's a narrow passage. Already widened the street there, will see if it solved the problem in the next test version. Surprisingly 10 audi rs8 are behaving better than 10 karts.
    I closed the project and I need to do only the buildings now, but my friend should help me on this one, and I already started working on the uphill road.
    New screenshots, but they're not latest version, since doing a kn5 takes so long because of the really bad own xpack wich I have to redo. Just missing the sideroad transition and terrain textures, and streetlights in these ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 2 weeks I think I'll have the first beta with my buildings.

3. MLT

MLT Active Member

This looks pretty nice. Keep up the great work.
    Damn you guys really are fast at modelling and texturing ( you and Willy Wale ). Fiorano doesn't have that many buildings and I still haven't textured all of them. :eek:

Anyway, hope to try out the beta soon :D

Kibbutz likes this.