Tarmac doesn't work

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Lorenzo Battaglia, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Lorenzo Battaglia

Lorenzo Battaglia New Member

i just finished converting a track from rfactor to ac (no permission but for now it's for personal use and i already contacted the first developer) and i loaded in game (i didn't set the shaders in kseditor because i just wanted to use it) and when i drove the pits worked, but as soon as i got in the tarmac part (for tarmac i mean that the in the surface ini it's set as tarmac and not pitlane) i litterally went through. idk why, i tried to make my material and texture and it litterally did the same thing

2. Lorenzo Battaglia

sorry for no prefix and things like that i'm new :lol:

3. MGMetroDave

MGMetroDave Active Member

Hi Lorenzo, usually that's one of the following things:

1. The track object name needs to start with 1ROAD_
    2. Does the track object have a lot of faces? Sometimes you need to split big track messages up into separate objects or you will suddenly fall through it in the game.
    3. Do the track mesh faces definitely face up? They won't work if facing down.

4. Lorenzo Battaglia

Does it have to be road or can it be named in another way? I named it tarmac by mistake probably that's the mistake (I changed the surfaces ini in tarmac tho). Also this is a problem more on my side: I divided a road in 2 parts because I needed to change the from pit lane to normal road and now it doesn't appear in game (I don't have photos since I'm on my phone now, but tomorrow I'll upload them and try your fix) thx for now

5. MGMetroDave

Ok no problem!
    You can define your own surfaces in surfaces.ini. Perhaps try calling it 1ROAD_something and if that makes it work you know that it was a problem with something your settings in surfaces.ini

fughettaboutit likes this.
  6. Lorenzo Battaglia

Ight I'll try tomorrow

MGMetroDave likes this.
  7. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

yes it can be tarmac, but you must set this in "data\surfaces.ini"

edit: oh did not refresh page before writing
    edit2: actually you both were too fast

MGMetroDave likes this.
  8. Lorenzo Battaglia

Probably now that I think I'll first change the name and try. The most important problem rn tho is the thing that doesn't appear tho and I Litterally don't know how to resolve that in anyway.

9. MGMetroDave

Haha sorry @fughettaboutit :lol:

Sorry Lorenzo what exactly isn't appearing in the game?

10. Lorenzo Battaglia

So the pit lane and the main road are connected as this is a hill climb. When you go to the start the first meters Litterally don't exist. In 3ds max they do but in game they don't. I'm pretty sure it happened because I cut a piece of road in 2 and the material didn't follow one but idk because the texture shows... Thinking about it I could've made a mistake in the kseditor. I'm a mess sorry, I'll check tomorrow and then I'll see if I actually need help for this one. Thx again for now

11. MGMetroDave

Haha no worries @Lorenzo Battaglia . Let us know if you need any more help.
    This might not help and it's just a guess, but if it's visible in 3dsmax but not in kseditor or the game, have a look underneath the surface in kseditor. If it looks like it's upside down and the texture is on the wrong side of the surface, then the face normals are pointing in the wrong direction. This can be easily fixed in 3dsmax. I don't know exactly how because I only use blender.
    Also you might already do this, but it's a good idea to have 'backface culling' switched on in 3dsmax when you're working on stuff for AC, because AC only supports single-sided faces.

12. fughettaboutit

fughettaboutit aka leBluem

"because AC only supports single-sided faces" for the physical mesh

np i didnt write a whole lot, so no need to be sorry

MGMetroDave likes this.
  13. limou

limou New Member

Hello guys, not the author but I still wanted to say thanks because you helped me fix my track. If anyone has this issue, definitly try to flip the track mesh over !

luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice