SOLVED Steering wheel animations not working properly

Discussion in 'Car Models | Physics' started by marche_, Mar 9, 2023.

1. marche_

marche_ New Member

Hello, I'm a newbie to modding in Assetto corsa. I at first followed the "your first car guide" to prepare the car. Later I wanted to add animation to the driver turning the wheel and I used the following guide https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/bone-animation-rig-blender.34594/. This way I managed to add turning animation to the driver and my car wheels too. However my car's steering wheel isn't turning. I've been trying to find the data file responsible for that but I'm not sure I have it. I don't know where I should place it. As for the animation I'm not sure what I should modify to include it. The driver or the car. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    One more thing but when I updated the driver_base_pos.knh file and steer.ksanim my car's wheel wasn't detached from the rest of the car. I did that later and updated the model but I still am missing something. I also went trough the AC_Pipeline_PUB_Rev2.0.pdf document but I can't find anything specific.

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Member

The steering wheel objects should be a child of the steering wheel empty (STEER_HR I believe, but refer to the pipeline document to make sure as I haven't worked on a car for a while now), and the empty's Z axis must point along the axis of rotation. You do not need to animate the steering wheel at all, it is handled automatically by the game engine when it is set up correctly in your 3D software.

Go through the pipeline document again, it lists all the empties that you can use. Alternatively you can open up another car to look at its hierarchy and see what is parented to what and the correct orientation of the empties.

marche_ and Fuzo like this.
  3. marche_

marche_ New Member

I see. Thank you. The "STEER_HR" empty turned out to be what I was missing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice