sketchup to blender to ac editor with textures?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by schmoking, Oct 24, 2017.

1. schmoking

schmoking New Member

Hey
    I was hoping someone could help me check out my blender file.

Ive been using sketchup to make and texture an object..
    then i use a plugin for sketchup, to save as a blend file. http://sketchup2blender.com/blendup-features

now the object and textures load fine in blender when i change viewport shading to material.
    textures are exactly the same as in sketchup.

but when i try and export to fbx and load the object in ACeditor the textures are not loaded,
    i can find the textures and reapply them in ACeditor, but now the position of the textures from sketchup are lost.
    i have made a texture folder with my texture in them. but ACeditor just creates a Null texture and uses that instead.

im a horrible noob, this is some confusing stuff, could someone look at my attached .blend file and see if the texture settings are good to export?
    only thing i changed from the sketchup.blend file was selecting dds instead of png textures,
    but i had the same result trying to export with the png`s.

Attached Files:

2. schmoking

schmoking New Member

RRRRRight!!!!:confused:
    So after trying about a million different ways to figure this out,
    i find that this plugin exports to cycles render....
    and cycles render can not export fbx materials....:mad:
    so no wonder that didnt work!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

3. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

It doesn't really matter. Cycles or no cycles, this is only linked to Blender renderer. But the material still exists.

Worst case, all you need is the UV map for that material on the mesh. You can just create basic material (meaning clic on + in material tab, then clic on + on texture tab) and assign your texture. Done.

..unless you have like hundreds of materials in your scene when I can understand it can be painful :). But IF you are, then it's not a good practice anyway, since AC likes fewer materials for good performance.

4. schmoking

schmoking New Member

in the end i found that just exporting as .obj from sketchup to blender worked just fine.
    i should have tried that first... :confused:

i dont think this plugin is good for exporting to blender, then to fbx.. as it also uses nodes, as i understand it fbx dont work with them. its use is mostly to render sketchup models in blender.
    to bad i wasted a couple days finding that out... bit its not the first time :lol:

i keep starting my project over and over again as i figure things out..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice