Sketchup created object 3.4 trillion KM above ground

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Hito, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Hito

Hito Member

Is there any way of editing the height above ground data and the dimensions of the object. I created an object in Sketchup and sent it off to Xpacker after converting the model from .dae to .fbx and textures from .jpg to .dds. Made sure all the original texture files used were in a res that divided by the power of 2

In the information tab of Xpacker it says the model is 3.4 trillion metres above the ground and has no dimensions.

Any way of fixing this or am i missing a step in Sketchup to add the data

I always start with a geo location, which is Amsterdam, so if anything it should be below sea level

Thanks in advance for any advise or tips given

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

well typically the object needs fixed to "the" centre point, and its centre point coordinates have become incorrect through the dae to fbx conversion. that's why its so far away. other than loading into a major 3d editor and fixing its origins I'm not sure what you would do there.it might also needs whats called an xform reset for the boundary dimensions to work. don't use sketchup myself. what is the object btw ?

3. Hito

Hito Member

It is a coffeeshop across from the Centraal Station called Voyagers. A lot of happy memories there and i fancied it in my fantasy track as a building n the village section. Model is very basic with a couple of minor picture textures for the sign and lower windows/door. The rest of textures are std Sketchup

I use the Autodesk FBX convertor and use the fbx2012 output perameters. Is this where i am going wrong, i used Sketchup previously to make some rock, haybale and grass models with good success but after the last Sketchup trial expired and it resorted to the standard .dae export format i have hit this brick wall

I have Blender here but i am still very Raw when using that

Thanks for any input as i was getting to the point of pulling what is left of my hair out or breaking out the credit card and getting a license for Sketchup

4. Pixelchaser

:lol: probably had a spliff or two there haha. well id suggest open it in blender and just learn to fix it with its origins. there will be a tutorial on youtube for that, fbx2012 is correct.

5. Hito

Hito Member

If i was to scrap using Sketchup and go for Blender, would i be able to export in a format suitable for Xpacker and RTB/AC or would i need an extra plug in

I looked at editing the origins but when i imported the broken model with the height issues, Blender just would display anything. When i imported the .dae file and went to export, Blender threw a lot of errors and froze

Thanks for the help anyway but here i go again back to square one with another new 3d model program that is gonna be in my night mares for the next few months

sensei likes this.
  6. Pixelchaser

yes, blender is the top level alternative 3d program. saves to all generic formats like fbx.

7. Hito

Hito Member

Hold the bus, as we say in Glasgow. Just about to give up and move on when i spotted a video on YT. Gentleman was exporting terrain and he exploded the model before exportation and it arrived in Blender intact. I thought i would give that a go and it worked. Explode the model then export as a .dae and then Blender will then export it as a .fbx without any issues. Xpacker now recognises the model dimensions and states that it is -100m below the surface, good ol Amsterdam. I exported it to RTB and it shows up in RTB but all black, think i need to change the .jpg textures to .dds

Happy Days indeed, i can now drive to my favourite coffeshop anytime i want now thanks to VR and Assetto Corsa

Thanks for your guidance Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser and luchian like this.
  8. Hito

Hito Member

I changed the textures from the jpg to the dds format and bingo, the model is there in all its glory in RTB

http://imgur.com/a/xoVv0

Now i need to learn how to get all the textures onto one file and take it from there

Thanks for your input

luchian and Pixelchaser like this.
  9. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Offtopic-ish, but funny funny language =)). Thanks for the laugh @Hito :D.

Glad you sorted it, keep it up

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Hito likes this.
  10. Pixelchaser

yoor fae glesgah ?
    am fae glesgah too ! :lol:

garyjpaterson and luchian like this.
  11. Hito

Hito Member

Ah fir fux sake, i wis trying tae hide ma cultural side but there ye go wi yer wide as the clyde tunnel patter and getting me a fecking riddy

In all seriousness, good to know if i get too stuck i can open the windae and gie ye a shout

12. Pixelchaser

:lol: well I live not there anymore, I'm in much worse place. outside Blackpool, Carmunnock I grew up in till I was 33.

13. Pixelchaser

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice