Road Junction Modelling

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Nibbles, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Nibbles

Nibbles New Member

Hi,

In my day job i am currently progressing preliminary design of a large new junction, which significantly changes arrangements for traffic on all approaches and uses a 'hamburger' arrangement which differs to that used more widely across the country - there is a potential for driver confusion.

I imagine that AC would be an ideal environment in which to create this junction to allow a 'test drive'. Would anyone be interested in giving this a go? Subject to effectiveness, there may be an opportunity to provide funds for this, though that would need Procurement to sign off - in the first instance im thinking a proof of concept might be the best place to start.

I can provide 2D and 3D outline designs on which to base this on, along with LiDAR point cloud data of the existing junction.

Specifically, i am slightly concerned about the effectiveness of signs and road markings on the approach to the junction which may confuse drivers and the opportunity to test drive this before we do any digging or detailed design work would be desirable. The model would therefore need to show clearly the road markings and signs on approach (details of which could be provided) from a drivers eye view.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a private message if preferred.

Thanks
    Steve

luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hello Steve,
    Interesting idea and use for AC. But it would definitely allow testing this from a driver's eye view :). And in very good conditions, I might add.

Could you maybe post a screenshot or a sketch of what is needed ? So that we can have a clearer view of the work involved.

3. Nibbles

Nibbles New Member

Hi,

Something like this would be the desire;

That way we could 'drive' the approachs to the roundabout and see how it feels. So critically we would need to be able to show signs, road markings, traffic lights (these could be models, that change colour, rather than actual working lights, etc.), but it would also be good to get the roundabout geometry (in 3D) approximately correct.

In theory we could put traffic on (using AI) though perhaps thats a step to far at this stage.

TRL have done some simulations for Smart Motorways in the past (which i think the above video is based off), but im not aware that this has ever been done for a junction...!

Thanks
    Steve

4. Nibbles

Nibbles New Member

Luchian,

Did you get chance to look into this at all? Things are moving fast at our end, and it would be good to get some indicative timescales for development work - is this something that could be knocked up in a couple of weeks or will it take months.

In terms of size, i would envisage that ~1/2 mile on each approach to the junction could be modelled, though this would be most importants on the main approach arms and may not be necessary on the minor arms. The crucial thing to test is the 'hamburger' bit through the middle which links the major arms in the westbound direction.

By way of example, this is a hamburger roundabout on Birmingham Ring Road that is not entirely dissimilar to our proposal (though ours will be much larger!)

https://goo.gl/maps/z5WurYFQ5r32

Thanks
    Steve

5. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hey Steve,

I apologize, things are really busy irl (hence the very low activity on the forum as well). But I did check your video.
    I'd like to give it a go (and I will, as the time allows it), but I am in no position to take any commitments at this point. If this still sounds OK with you, what's needed is to give some sort of sketch or plan or something of what needs to be created (not just the example, but the actual junction) so I can start modelling.

PS: if nothing else is available, sketch can be even done by hand with some basic dimensions on it.

6. Nibbles

Nibbles New Member

Luchian,

I'll contact you via PM to discuss further :)

Thanks
    Steve

7. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

very nice project. for a long long time and luchian can tell you, :lol: ive dreamt of the ultimate road network with just enough roundabouts and junction intersections to justify navigation on such roads as being a thing in our sim games. i`ve always referred to it as a cruise concept. ill definitely get round to it. had started something that turned into something else. it definitely needs a team of folks to pull it off. the rules within the design of roads I find utterly fascinating. that style of junction you show I think is utterly insane but I understand why its so complicated. for the map style idea I was thinking of I had a very basic 2 level intersection from M class to A class. but that thing is beyond complicated haha.

an old buddy of mine too went off to create a sim featuring 100km square network of real roads and mapping for the Australian transport department. it works, that's for sure. in terms of testing new methods. and if you need it textured i`m your man !

mr nibbles, ive seen a few serious road design programs of late, data can be taken from them and used for accurate splines etc. from what I can remember they deal with vectors etc any experience there ?

here is a vid of my road network and very early conceived stage. it just needs real roads, off ramps, roaundaboutw, basically everything, but generally speaking and out with your idea. real road creation in any form its going to be fun and new in a sim :) but yeah real roads are my passion for our hypercars in AC.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice