W.I.P. Quebrada de Ocharaza (PTP) 0.9a

Point to Point desert track in Chile

1. MLT

MLT Active Member

As established in my first post http://assettocorsamods.net/threads/fiorano.1067/,this is the next on the project list, which will be my first PTP track based on a real location here in Chile.
    I leave you with some screens and info on what to expect:
    1) Looong straights. There is a sequence of long straights that follow the inclinations of the hills, where in some areas you might get airborne, depending on your car. Lots of fun!
    long_roads.jpg
    2) But it's not all as easy and speedy as it looks, because out of nowhere you can suddenly be confronted with this:
    closed_curves.jpg
    Some of these are hard to spot, and you'll be flying out in no time. Also a few cliffs present.
    cliff_sides.jpg

And now some advancement:
    111.jpg
    These are some of the houses that you can find along the way. There not many populated areas around here, actually just 2 spots on the whole track.

2222.jpg
    I already made all signage that I could find along the track, here I'm just showing a few. ( around 23 tris each )
    3333.jpg
    Cement containment barriers ( around 24 tris each )

444.jpg
    And the electricity posts ( around 160 tris each, without cables, I will need to improve a bit here )

To sum it all up, modelling aside, this will be a really fun track to drive around, specially competing against someone else. For the future I can see this as having a traffic mod and it will be nice for cruising with a large pack.

EDIT: oh and totally forgot about the main attractive of the track, it's known for its brutal accidents :whistle:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Les Neilson and luchian like this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

This is likely to be the Black Cat County de Chile. You heard it here first :D.

The assets look very good. Should you wish to (you don't have to, but just in case) share any of them, we have a dedicated section. I will have to add a few as well, "soon".

MLT likes this.
  3. MLT

MLT Active Member

Now that you say it, I can see the resemblance, I hadn't made the connection before.
    Oh, good to know, in a near future I will see what I can share. Anything in particular missing or needed?
    Thanks.

luchian likes this.
  4. luchian

No particular need, everything is appreciated :).

In the philosophy of this section, one would be able to use the work of others for "common assets", focusing time and energy on what matters most: track design and road detail. Imagine how it would be to have a large library and pick the stuff you'd need to model again and again for a track: signs, tents, small material, cars, buses, trucks, etc. :rolleyes:

5. MLT

MLT Active Member

Sounds good!

Attached Files:

luchian likes this.
  6. MLT

MLT Active Member

So these are the first images of the PTP track inside AC. The track is completely rebuild from scratch. I'll be using mostly RTB for this project, due to the size of it. It will only require minor touch-ups inside the 3D app in the end.

As you can see in this image, the RTB track texture center issue (3d app fix), nevertheless the pavement looks pretty good for the first rough iteration. At the moment the only effort was put on the road.
    Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_4-1-118-15-56-28.jpg
    And here a closer look at the texture
    closeup_texture.jpg
    Lastly a pic of what I was explaining in an earlier post, about being able to get airborne ( well not technically at least the front wheels. )
    jump.jpg

I think this track probably will be finished before Fiorano track, but this will be the only update here in a while. Need to get back to Fiorano.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    luchian likes this.
  7. MLT

MLT Active Member

So it's been a while and with the spare time I've had on my hands, I advanced as much as I could on this track as it requires less work than Fiorano and I want the community to have a taste of the work, while in the meantime Fiorano gets back on track.

The full layout is done with the main objects in place and working, such as: crash barriers, bushes and other.
    There is still some stuff to work on but as it is right now, it is very playable. I've added AI, 18 spaces available.

The most important aspect should be the physics layer (10% done) and graphical eye-candy (50% done), which will be next week's work. Now onto the screens:

Bushes without shadowing
    Screenshot_ferrari_f40_mlt_ocharaza_3-2-118-3-17-57.jpg

Bushes with receiving shadows
    Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_3-2-118-20-26-29.jpg
    Bushes with receiving shadows and self shadowing. Running with an AI pack.
    Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_20-1-118-21-23-51.jpg 1 on 1 Screenshot_ferrari_f40_mlt_ocharaza_3-2-118-3-9-3.jpg

You will also be able to experience the track in the dark, as it will be "night" ready. Here you can see the reflective pads along the containment barrier. Still lots to do.
    Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_3-2-118-20-52-22.jpg

Anyway I'm hoping next week will be a good one in order to get this done for 1.0 release. It will be improved upon thereafter.

Hope you guys like what's coming. After this it's all Fiorano!
    Cheers!

8. luchian

Makes me think of NFS2 for some reason.. :).

Anyway, self shadows might have a big impact on FPS, especially if the bushes will be in big numbers.
    Also, you might want to use the tree naming for bushes also, it will help setting up normals correctly. Which will help having better lightning.

9. MLT

MLT Active Member

If it reminds you of such a nice game, then we're on the right track! Been having some game nostalgia, so as I started this track I began to listen to Rom di Prisco again, you know in order to get the whole vibe going on.

Yes I've been reading about bushes or trees and the thing I'm missing is the naming convention, which will definitely add more depth to my bushes, without having to use self-shadowing on them. Thanks again for your help ;)

10. MLT

MLT Active Member

Little update, getting closer to release:
    So the physical layer is 70% done, and have added a few things. There are still some things that need testing.
    To the pics:
    a) I've added some turn around areas which I previously dismissed. Here you can see an entrance to one and they are mostly made of gravel. Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_22-2-118-23-54-34.jpg
    b) In future versions after the first release, there is the intention to add a real world dirt road, that travels a great distance parallel to the actual circuit, which will allow for racers to pick their choice of road surface. This dirt road can be entered in different areas of the main circuit, like the entrance below. Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_22-2-118-23-54-57.jpg
    c) I've improved the texture details a bit. Also added rocks. No shadowing and smoothing on them YET. Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_23-2-118-0-0-42.jpg
    d) I've added a section close to the starting point, that will be used for the pit stops, this does not exist in real life, but it's something that is needed. Nothing fancy yet. Tested the circuit with 24 cars, no problems. Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_23-2-118-0-8-58.jpg
    e) I've added houses as well, no image yet, but soon. These will have lights on when at "night".

Still some props missing but I could say that i'm about 85% done with the track.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Les Neilson, luchian and Just Kauser like this.
  11. Just Kauser

Just Kauser Active Member

Chemnitz, Saxony, Germany, next to the Sachsenring
    Looks great!

12. MLT

MLT Active Member

Thanks mate, more to come, today I hope.

luchian likes this.
  13. MLT

MLT Active Member

Ok release date will be Monday 5th of March. Working hard, to get this done right and on time ;)
    Progress post later on.

14. MLT

MLT Active Member

So little update for today:
    I've added shadow for all objects, hence I've optimized the scene, and have got good results. I'll post them at the bottom. Looking pretty good!
    Screenshot_ferrari_458_s3_mlt_ocharaza_28-2-118-19-57-55.jpg
    Added missing signage, here's one up close.
    Screenshot_ferrari_458_s3_mlt_ocharaza_28-2-118-20-1-11.jpg
    Added a few new objects, here's the starting line, there's also one for the finish and few other stuff as well.
    Screenshot_ferrari_laferrari_mlt_ocharaza_28-2-118-19-14-29.jpg
    Eye Candy, Sun setting down :)
    Screenshot_ferrari_458_s3_mlt_ocharaza_28-2-118-20-48-28.jpg
    And here braking to pull up onto the left parking area which is has an amazing viewpoint.
    Screenshot_ferrari_458_s3_mlt_ocharaza_28-2-118-20-53-17.jpg

Now time will go into optimizing the whole scene, add a few missing objects, improve textures a bit, and finishing the last bit of physical layer.

That's about it for now, hope to have something new for tomorrow, or soon. Cheers!

[EDIT]
    Whoops forgot about the results, so here they are:
    Using an i7 Quad Core processor, geforce 660Ti 2gb ram, 32gb ram. For the scene I get the following results:

a) Only 1 car, settings on high, 90 - 110 fps
    b) 24 cars, settings on high, 60 - 106 fps

I'm guessing that with an updated card this should run even smoother.

Les Neilson, luchian and Just Kauser like this.
  15. Just Kauser

Fantastic work!

16. Just Kauser

This reminds me of my beautiful Bolivia holiday with my parents-in-law at home. I know it's Chile but it almost looked the same, with only the dried cacti, the cows on the streets and all the Toyota Corollas missing. ;)
    I'm looking forward to the 5th!

17. MLT

MLT Active Member

I'm glad you like it. Yes in fact this looks like Bolivia since this is in the Northern part of Chile, about 60km from the Chilean/Bolivian border.

This is the first part of the whole circuit. My idea behind this is to have 3 parts, the last one ending at the country border. Each part starts off where the one before ended. This will allow a bit of different landscapes. This is all stuff coming in the future. They will be separate tracks though.

Just Kauser likes this.
  18. MLT

MLT Active Member

Little update, as we're getting closer to finishing off the track, here are some images:

a) Improved the terrain textures, they have more detail now.
    Screenshot_ks_ferrari_288_gto_mlt_ocharaza_4-3-118-1-36-18.jpg
    b) Start area "pit stops", now has event banners, only the crowd is missing, coming though :D Screenshot_ks_ferrari_288_gto_mlt_ocharaza_4-3-118-1-21-49.jpg
    c) And here a close up of the fantasy advertisment banners, at the finish line.
    -A little description on these, starting off with the ad closest to the camera, will be the actual MLT chilean tracks banner, here in the "northern routes" version.
    -Next to it in blue is a mining company banner. ( in reality this is a big mining part of the country, so this couldn't be left out.)
    -Next to it, not very noticeable is a wine estate banner, and to finish off my MLT modding banner, and of course AC banner as well.
    Screenshot_ks_ferrari_288_gto_mlt_ocharaza_4-3-118-1-37-24.jpg

So tomorrow, or better said, in a few hours since its 2 am now, I will need to finish off the following:
    a) Physical layer (90% done)
    b) Add a few more bushes where missing
    c) Add crowds for specific areas
    d) At the end will run this through the 3d app and fix and polish anything that needs to.

Hopefully by Monday we can have a decent delivery.

Cheers!

19. MLT

MLT Active Member

Well it seems I won't be able to make it by tomorrow, only was able to work a little today.
    Not what I was hoping for. Anyway I'm pretty sure that during the first days of this week this will be finished.
    So bear with me a couple of days, and we'll have things settled :D

What I was able to do today:
    a) Got the in-game map working.
    b) Setup the json file to display correct info of the track.
    c) Added custom showcase image for the track
    d) Added showcase map overlay
    e) Optimized the scene a bit

Manfred and luchian like this.
  20. luchian

No hurry :). If you wish to upload to our site, just use the downloads area. Another new thread will be created automatically, but I'll associate it manually with this thread afterwards. After that, any update that you make, will be automatically posted here and will remain linked to this thread.

LE: if you don't, that's also fine, ofc :).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    MLT likes this.
: PTP, track, Chile
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice