QUESTION Problem with custom Skin (UV and more)

Discussion in 'Car Skins' started by Hydrag, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Hydrag

Hydrag New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the group and stuck with a problem concerning my first Assetto Corsa car.

Now I don't really know where to start in exaplaining what had happened but I'll give it a try.
    Basically a friend and I were trying to rebuild a car somebody had tuned recently in reality.
    It was all based on a simple model that was not originally an Assetto Corsa car but already available
    as fully functioning mod.

So I took this car as a base before I saw that the real car was based on a different version of said car, with a different front and lighting. Also we were missing a few things. Now the problem is that the model that we were looking for didn't really exist. There was a GTA 5 mod and I tried to extract it from there (although this is technically not allowed, since the mod is only for us in private it shouldn't matter) and it didn't work. I then found different versions from other racing sims. Some had detailed interiors, some had five doors while others had three, in total there was a ton of different game models that I then combined into one by stretching, cutting meshes in 3ds Max and so on.

I took objects from other cars as well like steering wheels and seats for example. In general it worked and I could get quite a car from that combination. With a lot of fighting I also found the options in the KSEditor, things like blending modes for glass to become transparent, etc.

The problem is now, that I require a map for the whole outer body of the car. As this car does not exist in such a manner anywhere I can't just grab the livery from somewhere. Which means I need to unwrap the UVW maps. To even make it in the game for testing purposes I had just copied the aluminium texture map .dds (so one that doesn't have a shape but is basically just a material that can be added to rims or so).

When I exported the KN5 and opened it in the Showroom the outer body was all grey instead of light silver as it should have been and then in the game the car was reflecting and glowing like the sun. So I checked the values that were used for the SLS AMG GT3 to get the silver and applied these in the KSEditor.

Now the car looks at least silver but I noticed that although the car is fully textured in the same base color it shows some sort of spots on the outside. And even worse, if you move to the inside of the car the walls are transparent. Now we had to delete all the inner layers of the car as this is how the real car looks like. And I believe that by importing the foreing models the wall thicknesses have been reduced to basically 0. So it only features an outside but no inside. In 3ds max although I can still see the inside of the car and if I pick its color it will give me the correct material.

I tried to unwrap the UVW map to perhaps also draw onto the inside but my results in Max didn't look promising. I then got the demo version of an automatic unwrapper for 3ds max and although it worked pretty well for test files like the teapot it game me the same weird result as a UV map.

I then found the tutorial on doing it with Mudbox and thought I'd give it a chance. Now I am absolutely new to Mudbox but I followed the tutorial and ended up with something interesting. Although I drew over the whole car multiple times only some areas are fully covered in either red or black (see picture attached) and when I checked the Map in Mudbox it looked exactly like the one from Max.

So my problems are piling up here at the moment but I think my case is so specific and I am simply not skilled enough here. In summary the problems are:

- How can I also create an inside to my model, is there a way to increase the thickness somehow based on the surfaces already present in 3ds Max ?

- How can I create a simple metallic silver texture here, where I can simply click on the whole collection of objects and add another material to it in 3ds Max successfully but once it's exported and a material .dds is chosen it doesn't give a uniform result?

I really have no clue how to progress from here on. The car cannot be changed or swapped with another model anymore as I am super happy with how I managed to blend the layers and there simply aren't any other models available. The whole data folder and physics are all set, the only problem now would be the outer layer and of course the transparent inside.

If you have any idea I'd be super happy. Perhaps it's something simple I missed or didn't consider here.

Kind Regards,
    Martin

EDIT: I did a couple of tries, I made a new material in 3ds Max and rendered it in Max where it clearly features an inside. But when I cut into the wall I can actually see that the whole wall seems to be only 0 Px wide, which might be the problem. I then exported it to an FBX and opened it in the KSEditor and made a quick colored map in Photoshop as a .dds file.

I found the problem with the silver spots, it was the wrong shader mode, when I set it to simple reflection it worked and the car was at least in the Preview quite good with everything being painted. So the spotting problem is gone now but I still don't have an inside. If I manage to get this I probably won't even require the UV mapping in Mudbox as the car will only feature base colors.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice