W.I.P. Pats acres finally :)

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by LockeNessMotorsports, Jul 27, 2017.

1. LockeNessMotorsports

LockeNessMotorsports Active Member

Hey,

So finally i'd thought i'd share what I have up to now and what I've learnt so far first of all i started this back in October 2016 i've had a few breaks since then and lost motivation but now I'm back to it and up for way more learning and criticism :) because every one has to learn.

This is my very first track project using Photoshop for textures and 3ds max for the design the track is being modelled ontop of a google map exporting from rtb for height data etc the road mesh is made from the sweep tool in max ontop of a spline alligned to the track surface and pits a plane modelled and then joined without weld to the track etc, track lines and pit lines are all done on a seperate mesh I think this is way better and easier to adjust later on down the line if needed.

So far I have

Main layout done
    Curbs done
    Concrete side pieces and center pieces in track

To do
    Grass
    finish fences in pits
    Guardrails
    Trees
    More texture changes etc.

The track is smoothed using mesh smooth in max with 3 times iteration on each I only have a few photos atm but I'll share :).

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      929.8 KB
      Views:
    Ricardo Rey and luchian like this.
  2. LockeNessMotorsports

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2017
  3. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hehehe, glad you made the leap ! There is no way back now :D.
    Also, be prepared for coming criticism. But remember: we all want your good ! :D

It's looks like a good start for first try. It will get more consistency when you start adding stuff. Keep up with it.

I fixed the images for you. Sometimes weird behavior happens. If you can, just try again.
    (I don't have something against imgur "per se", I've just seen a lot of forums with missing images because they were deleted, or the hots changed policy, or.. etc. Anyway, your call - no probs).

PS: I know the first thing @LilSKi will say - you need to increase the poly count in the road mesh :D (hides)

4. luchian

Oh, you can also insert photos from imgur directly if you prefer.

Just use the little 1.jpg box: click, past image link, done.

5. LockeNessMotorsports

tbh I'd rather keep it low poly and mesh smooth it for the final result which in max is different to blender I'm pretty sure

6. LockeNessMotorsports

Ok so this visual and physical I read up on it again but slightly confused so basically Blender works differently to Max with the smoothing or as it's called in Blender Subdivide so basically i leave my visual with no smoothing but add more edges it's going to be hard to get them all to line up :lol: it's so chaotic.

Anyhow the bit i got confused with is do i basically duplicate the track object and smooth it but where does the physical sit below the track above or what?

7. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

physical needs to sit in same place as the visual. the physical is invisible (not rendered). so it must match. just don't move it when you duplicate it.

a little tip for max is only be on the move or scale tool when you need to be. when you looking about get the hell of that tool or it`ll **** you around so badly.

copy and paste the "BBCODE" that is offered in the lists of links for your image from imgur.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    luchian likes this.
  8. LockeNessMotorsports

Ok So i've been playing around with the Visual and Physical after i read @luchian s guide on how to do it.

So for Max I'm guessing it's a little different for the smoothing so what I did is my Visual is still low poly but with one mesh smooth applied which makes it look better but my Physical mesh now has a mesh smoothing of 4 times could probably go even higher but at the minute it's at 4.

I just cloned my mesh when i found out how to do and re named my visual to VISROAD_1, 2 etc and then in ks editor i set the render to false and it seems to be working :)

Here is the visual mesh

visroad.jpg

And here is my Physical mesh

physicalroad.jpg

9. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

that indeed is the correct direction for physics layer. try "subdivide" too which wont smooth it. but will still end up with similar to what you have there.

10. luchian

Just to mention it is all @LilSKi 's merit :). I merely wrote it here, with his permission.

Onto your work:
    looks very good already. And some say, that alone should help with the physics quite a lot. But another big advantage of the physics layer is that you can also add a little bit of "noise" on the Z. So it can give even a better feel of the road's imperfections, bumps, etc. Anyway, keep it up :)

11. LockeNessMotorsports

Do you know how to do that in max add noise?

12. LockeNessMotorsports

Another one how would I go about my fences and armco barrier? just a plane with a texure or? Because i know you don't want to be modelling high poly fences etc from what I've heard?

13. luchian

Very high-poly no really needed.
    But I would still model something like a zig-zag shape at least (side section view). The rest can be very well faked with texture. Have a look with free camera at one of Kunos tracks, you'll understand what I mean. :).

14. LockeNessMotorsports

@luchian

So I'm having a slight issue with my fence texture in Ks editor I've used exactly the same shader as kunos on their Silverstone track but I can't get rid of my white background, I've even made a mask and applied it in 3ds max in the opacity map slot and still nothing :( Any ideas or where am i going wrong xD.

fence.jpg

15. LockeNessMotorsports

So i've now modelled in the little gravel section :), I decided to model a whole new plane ontop of the existing pits I thought it would be easier than trying to cut the mesh then re align etc. I will probably do this for Grass variations aswell.

gravel piece.jpg

16. LockeNessMotorsports

So i modelled this out seperately for dirt idk how i feel about it though maybe look better with shaders? DIRT.jpg

17. luchian

Well, if you plan for it to have other physic properties than the grass around, then it is ok to have it as a separate mesh.
    If it's only visual, it can be part of the grass mesh. And you can just paint it differently when texturing.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

18. LockeNessMotorsports

ahh ok I've never understood the paint it differently if i did that in photoshop and added some muddy areas wouldn't it just tile over and over again and repeat too much? I'm still learning this and one more thing for the masks are they saved as a seperate document or are they saved with the texture via alpha channel?

19. LockeNessMotorsports

So experimenting with masks Idk if i'm doing it wrong but because the texture is tileable i get this result aha, I applied the mask in the opacity map slot in 3ds max.

texture 2.jpg mask.jpg

20. LockeNessMotorsports

Quick update been modelling some assetts learning max :) with guidance from a friend.

I've modelled the shacks in the pits and the tents so far.

shack.jpg

luchian, Pixelchaser and Johnr777 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice