New to AC Mods, trying to learn as much as I can.

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by MotoGP_74, Nov 1, 2018.

1. MotoGP_74

MotoGP_74 New Member

Hello all,

I recently read Luchian's "Build your first TRACK - BASIC GUIDE" on the main AC forum which led me here. I am a long time sim racer but relatively new to PC racing and very new to modding. I am 44 and live in Canada. As my name suggests, I am a bike fan but due to the fact that I work on bikes every day for a living, cars have become more of an escape for me. I have raced sportbikes, minimotos and most recently karts but now prefer to getting my racing fix in my favourite racing sims. They are: Dirt Rally, iRacing, GT Sport and of course Assetto Corsa.

Since picking up Assetto a few months back (I know, what took me so long?) I wondered if any of the game developers who don't laser or drone scan tracks on location use google maps data to help create tracks. After a bit of searching I stumbled upon Race Track Builder. I picked it up (despite mixed reviews on Steam) because I thought if their was a chance I would be able to get back on my favourite local track in a sim, that would be incredible! Anyway, after a fair bit of struggling to get my project to work in game (as I am still quite steep on the learning curve) and a bit of a break from trying, I finally revisited the project and I now am able to do practice laps on my track which is great.

My next challenge is going to be to get AI and cams working on the track so I can hopefully one day share it for others to race on. If anyone thinks of any tutorials or discussions they found helpful on these topics, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Moto

luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hi there,
    The perfect story to hear and the purpose of this forum :).
    For AI and cams there is also info here.

Welcome and enjoy.
    PS: I see you already learned the "take a break" lesson :D.

MotoGP_74 likes this.
  3. MotoGP_74

MotoGP_74 New Member

Hi all,

I am a little further along now. I found a helpful video on AI set up that helped a lot.

I also found one on Track Cams (thank you Norbs and Lilski3) that was entertaining and helpful

Unfortunately, I am having some problems getting the cams to actually work. I have rechecked that I followed the tutorial exactly, which I have but I think I might be having a problem with the .ini file specifically as under "type" it specifies "configuration setting" rather than "INI file" I know, probably a simple problem for most of you guys, but as I said earlier, I am steep on the learning curve.
    Edit. for some reason under file association it says "opens with Note Pad" it won't allow me to change it to opens with Assetto Corsa?
    Anyway, I just wanted to update my progress and add the links that helped.

Thanks,

Moto

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. luchian

The cam files are basically simple text files, but instead of .txt they have .ini as extension. It's ok to open them with notepad (or any txt editor - my favourite is Notepad++). They will not "open" with AC, there is nothing to open. They will however work in Sdk Editor, open cam file.

For cameras to work, you need 2 things:
    - valid AI line
    - correctly defined cameras.ini file.

5. MotoGP_74

MotoGP_74 New Member

Ok thanks for the info regarding ini files.
    The ai line seems to work well enough in races with AI so there must be something off in what I have done while setting up my cameras I guess. I have checked them over numerous times but I must be missing something because when I go to view a replay, I still only have the 6 default cams.

Thanks,

Moto

6. luchian

It has to be named in sequence. For example if the track already has 3 cameras sets (cameras.ini, cameras_1.ini, cameras_2.ini) then yours should be cameras_3.ini.

You can also attach it, and I'll have a look.

7. MotoGP_74

MotoGP_74 New Member

I have attached my data folder from my track and my logs, I hope that helps. Just let me know if I should attach anything else or if I have it in the wrong format.

Thank you for your time. I know people probably are always asking for help.

Moto

Attached Files:

8. luchian

You should enable "show extensions" in windows explorer :).

2018-11-10_202737.png

9. MotoGP_74

MotoGP_74 New Member

Ok, I feel like a dope. Unfortunately, I added the .ini while I was trying to fix the issue and it was already not working before that. I just removed it and retried it and it still doesn't work.

Thanks,

Moto

10. luchian

But wait, the data folder you have attached it your FULL data folder ? Or you took out the rest ?

11. MotoGP_74

MotoGP_74 New Member

That is it so far for items in the data folder. I haven't added any audio, crew, groove, lighting or surface data other than what is saved as part of the kn5 file but they shouldn't be critical yet, or are they? I am able to practice and do races against AI with what I have so far, I am just limited to the 6 default cams and wanted to get my cams that I set up working. Maybe I should get further along before I reach out for help. Sorry.

Moto

12. luchian

I do not see something particularly wrong with the cameras. You should also add a name at SET_NAME, but don't think that should stop them to work anyway..

MotoGP_74 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice