New one

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by McDev, Jun 1, 2018.

1. McDev

McDev New Member

Hi, I came here because I like to improve my driving skills, it has been quite a journey but I am finally at the right spot I hope :)

First, I am working as a Unity developer and 3D Artist. I used to work on Games but now do visualization apps for Web, Tablets and VR for supplies in the automotive industry.
    In that job I can learn a lot about cars and new technology (not that I know any secret stuff). But it is nice to see that when you work on something to showcase and you can see in real cars 2 years later :)

I had like 3 wheels already and am now happy with my Fanatec CSR and Elite pedals. Before I tried my best in third perspective and a rather small monitor and it just didn't work out. Then I tried iRacing and it was much better. It was harder to master but felt like I could learn it. But I mainly sticked to Oval racing as it was easier to drive without the G-Force feedback that I think is important. But maybe that comes in time. For now I believe that it is more about learning at which speed and ear you can take a turn rather than intuitively run a track. On the other hand, isn't that what racing is all about? Maybe I am just still too much influenced by NFS...
    And btw NFS 3 was my first racing game back at PS1.

I also still have a big issue with traffic, the AI in AC is more predictable and constant. In iRacing I kind of drive worse when people are around, when I see someone approaching in the mirror I spin out the curve :)
    It was good in oval racing so I now want to learn how to drive clean in the sim.

Then I tried ProjectCars2 but it felt like an arcade racer. But actually I should take a look at the settings first, mabye it was on low difficulty.
    I came to AC because it can be modded which as a game developer makes fun. yet I also know it is a lot of work :) I think with those 3 games I am well prepared for whatever I want to do. Sadly I renewed my iRacing for two years before I got my hands on AC. I mean its fine and nothing beats the "AI" because there is none, but you got to wait until a race starts, at least each 30min. On hte other hand it forces you to practice which is also good.

I now decided that I will gear up. I am thinking about buying a ClubSport V2.5 Wheel base, a racing seat and a VR Device. My current office table is too loose and the pedals always slip aside.
    We also got a racing seat at the office and it is definitely a different feeling. I think it is a wise investment, especially if it lasts long.

I think about Playseat Alcantara, RSeat is too expensive. Can anyone say something about that?
    For VR I have experience as I tried a few and I think you need at least a resolution of 2,600 x 1,600. So currently I only know Vive Pro and Mixed Reality devices. I would choose the latter one, it's half the price and no need to set up sensors.

luchian likes this.
  2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Welcome :).

Ha, so once ACC is out, you'll kinda work on the competition package :D.

If you really want to do proper simracing, there is NO other way than cockpit view. Second important thing, is setting the right FOV, independently (or according to) of your screen size. At first, it will feel weird. For quite some time actually. But once you will have put a few tens of hours into it, slowly it will feel natural. Once you are fully used to it, you'll never go back :). So keep at it. Here is a good video about it.

Assurance will come with practice, don't worry.

From my limited experience, Playseat are not that great for the price you pay. If the simrig is not in your living room (so that it needs to look good also) I would choose a comfortable real car seat :D.

Anyway, good luck and don't forget to take a break from time to time :).

3. McDev

McDev New Member

What do you mean by that? I looked it up, it will be developed with Unreal Engine. I know that too so that sounds like more fun to mod :)

I plan to use VR. One screen won't do it for me for races and I also don't have the space for 3 Screens. I might be able to move a TV screen and place the seat in front of it. I will test various things if I can. And if VR makes me dizzy after weeks then I need another solution :) But as I develop for VR, if you maintain high resolution and FPS it is no problem, at least for me.

I got one cheap so I will test it out. If it's not great I can update later. I plan to update everything step by step.
    I just had to learn that my 8 year old CPU, even though it has 6 Cores is maybe even slower than my Laptop, at least for games. And AI in AC is CPU intensive so I read.

luchian likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice