SOLVED Need help with physical mesh smoothing

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by JoaquinPS21, Jan 30, 2018.

1. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

Hi, I have made 4 conversions from rFactor, all with permission (I hope to publish them here soon) and in this conversions I always make a physical layer, pretty good, without excessive bumps, thanks to the help and information provided here

Right now, I'm working in my 5th conversion of the chilean track "Autódromo de Codegua", I have worked the physical layer the same way as the other conversions (which has worked quite good so far) but since it's a multilayout track the first corner is split in three objects, with some variations in height which produces bumps.

In rFactor this bumps are pretty little, nothing extremely bumpy, but in AC is a whole different story, the first corner of the track feels like a off-road track just because of the excessive amounts of bumps. Here are some photos of what the first corner looks like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I'm looking if someone know of a program, script, 3DS Max tutorial or any help to set this whole first corner to the same height all around to reduce the excessive amount of bumps, or any similar solution (I haven't thinked that much about what to do)

Other option I have is to use other version of the same track, made initially for AC, but this version have a so excessive amount of object and polygons, that it doesn't even load in 3Dsimed nor 3DS Max (maybe I dont have enough gpu)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  3. r@m

r@m Active Member

As long as you have no extreme cambers on the corner this method should do the job, the create spline / extrude / shell process is relatively simple and useful for creating additional track surface edges, white lines, landscape meshes etc.
    The only keyboard shortcut I use is holding shift to select the loop after adding the edit poly modifier, make sure you use the top view with the Conform Compound Object as it is set to use the active view-port for projection, you can use vertex normals or z axis direction in the perspective viewport.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    luchian likes this.
  4. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

Many thanks guys! yesterday tried @Pixelchaser suggestion, but I wasn't conform with the result, so I ended up taking my time to match the vertex of the triangles of the three objects, since (I believe) the overlapping of them was generating the excessive amount of bumps
    @r@m Now that i check the video I can say I made something similar but "by hand" :lol: I will start using that method for any new problems, and for the white lines I need to add to the track

5. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

I hate you Max.

r@m likes this.
  6. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

hahaha Max can do a lot of things, it's really useful, I'm just at the starting point/noob level in Max

7. r@m

r@m Active Member

All you need is decent examples of the methods instead of wading through tons of conflated techno babble. ;)

That video is using default Max functions, much easier and quicker using the Move to Surface tools in MMTools, you can assign the conform to the middle mouse button...select, click, done.

http://www.mj-multimedia.net/soft/mmtools/mmt_move2surface.php

[​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  8. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

That looks pretty easy, I will give it a try ;) Many thanks!

9. Johnr777

Johnr777 Moderator

Just make sure the object you are moving vertices to is converted to “editable poly”, it won’t work/move vertices if it’s set to “mesh”

It’s probably the tool I use the most :lol:, it can also move spline vertices, which is really handy!

10. r@m

r@m Active Member

11. JoaquinPS21

JoaquinPS21 New Member

Thanks for the help! It's pretty much solved now, there is a little camber in the corner, but I will use all the methods to correct it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice