SOLVED Minimum amount of surface objects?

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by dmacnz, Sep 21, 2015.

1. dmacnz

dmacnz New Member

Hi Guys,

I am very new to 3d modelling, I normally stick to just driving and not building!

I am playing around with a converted track which from Rfactor2 with permission from the "owner".

I have managed to get the game into 3dsimed and the AC SDK editor.

What is the minimum amount of recognised objects required?!

-I have changed the textures all to PNG,
    -changed the object names of the 1road, 2grass "road and grass" (I have not set any walls or kerbs)
    -I have named some objects near the pits and start l ine AC_start_0 and AC_pit_0

Am i still missing some large concepts or am I on the right track!

But when testing the game crashes.

I am not trying to make it perfect from the start, Just some motivation to see it work before I start trying to reinvent the wheel!

Any info would be great

Thanks
    Dan

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hey Dan, welcome to the forums :)

You need the spawn points. Depending on the mode you try your track in, it depends. If you start in Practice, or Race, or Hotlap mode. See THIS post, for more info.
    Otherwise, the quickest way to see what's wrong, is to attach your logs. You can find them under \Documents\Assetto Corsa\logs.

3. dmacnz

dmacnz New Member

Thanks for your feed.
    This maybe my lost concept. The AC_start etc Are not spawn points?!

Thanks I will keep reading and track down the logs when I have time tomorrow!

Thanks for the quick informative reply.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. luchian

Yes, they are. You need to respect CAPS naming.
    Also make sure all your scene objects have assigned materials.

You could be very close to getting it in-game, but only logs can help us further. If you wish, I can have a look.

5. dmacnz

dmacnz New Member

Thanks for your help. I got it working!! Very rewarding. Although I added some objects to try and create some correct spawnign objects. but doesnt seem to work correctly. The car falls through the mesh, even if its 4m in the sky the spawning point!

[​IMG]

luchian likes this.
  6. luchian

Good news :).
    If your car falls through the mesh, it means there is an error in the naming of the mesh (meaning it doesn't have physical properties). See the guide, or maybe post a screenshot of your hierarchy.

7. dmacnz

dmacnz New Member

Thanks for the info, I will have a look. I can drive over the spawning areas no problem if i let the game span at 0,0,0

But where ever i put the spawn "objects" it keep falling through on spawning. Could this be a orientation problem?! As it seem my box has Z axis as the vertical. but even if i rotate it, it doesn't seem to change the axis!!Using 3dS max, but very new!
    Sorry about the simple questions!

8. luchian

No, it's not an orientation problem (that usually gives you broken wheels).
    You'll probably reach this problem later :). In any case, you need the Z forward and Y up. In 3dsmax, just rotate the pivot point (not the object itself).

Back to falling through problem, it's directly linked to the surface underneath. It must be physical.

9. dmacnz

dmacnz New Member

Thanks I managed to make the spawn AC_PIT_01 point work... But only once, and the track had been miniaturised!!
    I tried exporting a non scaled version, but couldn't get the spawn points to work, It just keep spawning at 0,0,0
    Does the spawn object have to be anything special for it to work correctly and not default to the 0,0,0 point?!
    But I am learning fast! A little frustrated but learning!
    Thanks Again

10. luchian

You are spawning at 0,0,0 because it's an imported track (so origin points of objects might not be retained as original - but all reset to 0,0,0). You need to make sure the origin point of your spawn objects are in the center of each object (pivot point also).
    I work in Blender, but for 3ds max, you must use Xform if I remember correctly.

11. dmacnz

dmacnz New Member

Thanks a lot. I got the spawn point correct now!
    Just need to get the lap timer working.
    Do I need to set some kinda or track perimeter?! Or just purely drop a few AC_time points around the track?!

Thanks again
    Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luchian likes this.
  12. luchian

No, nothing special. Just drop them where you need. Place them wider than the track, otherwise you could miss them (in case you'd be on the grass for example).
    They act like skying gates :).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice