Looking to pay someone for a track design based off a local track.

Discussion in 'Tracks' started by Cameron DeGroff, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Cameron DeGroff

Cameron DeGroff New Member

I am looking to pay someone to recreate my local track (Was Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah, now called Utah Motorsports Campus). I would like a better-than-Google Maps tutorial-created track. I have videos of the track for additional reference. Give me an estimate and samples of work. Will pay 1/2 up front. 1/2 on completion. You are welcome to release the track to anyone after. Just want to be able to drive it!

2. luchian

luchian Administrator Staff Member

Hey Cameron, welcome to the forums.

Wish I had the time to take on this callenge :).
    However, for someone that could be ready to jump on it, could you please give a few more details about the expected quality level ?
    Maybe cite one of the modded tracks out there as an example ? (name, version, screenshot, .. anything that could help one make sn idea).

I am saying this because for the very best modded tracks already released the counter is around 1000 hours of work, so it might be a big commitment from the future artist.

Anyways, hope you'll get your wish :)

3. Cameron DeGroff

I don't really have any examples as I am new to AC and being able to practice that track would really bring me in versus the other games I have (since I can't practice that track). Wow, 1000 hours is a ton and I couldn't afford what someone would want but I am not looking for the details. I don't care what the environment around it really looks like, I mostly want to just replicate the track itself as realistically as possible. It could be dirt/fake buildings/stock stands or whatever is easiest and quickest to do for the surroundings. It's in a desert so there isn't a ton of trees, guardrails, etc. As long as there was the actual paved areas, curbs in the right places and dirt everywhere else, I would be happy.

luchian likes this.
  4. Cameron DeGroff

Also, as an added note, there was a version of the track modeled in GTR Evo/Race On/Rfactor1 if that makes it easier. It wasn't the best but was somewhat close (old version of the track without a lot of the runoffs).

luchian likes this.
  5. luchian

It sounds doable.

With the old version, it would be easier only if original author would permit a conversion.
    This is usually quicker, but the quality is often (not always) lower, because the source was probably done lots of years back, when you were forced to simplify due to lower performance PCs.

6. luchian

Interesting track. Looks very technical with a lot of turns :)
    Also, supposing someone would take-on the challenge, would you be able to provide/take reference photos if needed ?

utah_motorsport.jpg

7. Cameron DeGroff

Yes, it's an awesome track. Very fast but technical and safe. I'm not sure how many/what photos you would need. I have plenty of videos from my bumper and inside the car, though.

8. Cameron DeGroff

I also got it working in Automobilista last night (the old version) and boy does it suck. Graphics are pretty poor and the track seems to be off quite a bit. Also, not sure if it's the sim or the track but it's pretty poor grip.

9. luchian

I hear good things about Automobilista in general, so maybe the conversion is not that great.

Videos are very good to be able to compare the layout.

Even better videos (if you have) would be from behind a car (or maybe in your bumper video some other car is riding in front ?). This is very very useful as one can see the suspension movement and know where the track has bumps.

Photos are mostly important for texturing and getting good reference for the surrounding objects (buildings, pits, stuff like this). Anyway, this is just a preventive question for the moment :).

10. Cameron DeGroff

I have some backwards facing video for the east side. I also have GPS data from my data logger (AIM Solo) for every version of the track.

luchian likes this.
  11. Pixelchaser

Pixelchaser Well-Known Member

was looking at this and aragon track the other day alongside others that are very open feeling areas..infact judging by the name I was actually watching 1 of your vids at another place. LOL this must be you I guess.

first ive seen of this thread here, im quite up for doing this pending a bit more investigation into what resources there are. gps "looks" like it be enough data.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    mister dog and luchian like this.
  12. Cameron DeGroff

Haha. That is funny. Yup, that's me in all the Miata glory. It's such a fun track. One of the other reasons I have is that I have a hard time getting experience for people from out of town before they come out.

13. Pixelchaser

done loads of research today. when can you be at the track yourself with a camera ?

14. Cameron DeGroff

Depends on what pictures you would need. I don't know if I could walk the track but if that's what you need I could try. Does it need to be empty or can I take pictures with cars on it? Also, if you are really interested we probably need to talk money at this point so you don't get too deep and we can come to some sort of agreement on the cost and if I can afford you.

15. Pixelchaser

ill pm you in next few days....

16. Pixelchaser

however this is the culmination of todays research and outcome. a perfect base to start to project.
    [​IMG]

mister dog and luchian like this.
  17. Cameron DeGroff

Sweet!

Pixelchaser likes this.
  18. sk8erord

sk8erord New Member

I'm not sure if this ever went anywhere, but I would love to help with this in anyway I can. I drive this track occasionally, and would love a sim of it. I've been searching for a platform that has it, and it seems that the only thing out there is the old rfactor 1 version.

19. Pixelchaser

there isn't any real data out there to make it functional for a driver to learn on. but here the thing. this year I expect it will be available, once it is. its quite an easy track to make. I'm either fictional or I use proper data.

20. john brandow

john brandow New Member

Hello Pixelchaser. Have you made any headway with this track. Not super fussed about how exact it is as long as the lefts and rights are all in the same spot. I am racing there this year and would like to at least have some time on the layout before getting there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice